All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

nonamesleft
join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI

nonamesleft

[request] Option to delete own Topic or posts.

Instead of having to use hey mods. Could the user have the option of deleting his/her own topic or post? Like for those times you think its a good post or topic and you think it sucks later on.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg

MVM

Re: Option to delete own Topic or posts.

JESUS H CHRIST, why is this coming up again?

asked and answered MANY MANY MANY times.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to nonamesleft

Mod

to nonamesleft
This won't happen.
*object*

nonamesleft
Manitowoc, WI

2 edits

nonamesleft to davidg

to davidg
Didnt see it in the small amount of pages. and JESUS H CHRIST I aint been here as long as you!

Comments like davidg's, are the very reason I would want the delete option. If they disallowed a topic to be brought up anywhere here, it would get boring fast. Then what would you do davidg?

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

1 recommendation

fatness

A lot of good (and some bad) information would disappear from the site if this were allowed. In particular, posters who got pressured from a past or current employer would remove information at that employer's request. Posters who are job hunting would remove some of their old posts here, concerned that it might somehow affect their future employment with someone. Posters who want to scrub google results of their posts would remove things they've posted. Finally, posters who get ticked off momentarily would remove a significant amount of posts.

It has always seemed a bad idea to me for those reasons.

nonamesleft
Manitowoc, WI

nonamesleft

I won't argue with that. Kinda like the comment pending approval thing on youtube to allow comments that fit ones opinion.

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57 to nonamesleft

Premium Member

to nonamesleft
You can always use the 'edit' function to erase posts you've made, at least until two weeks later or whatever the time limitation is.

But why make a post to begin with if you think it's something you're going to want to erase later on?

You'll also never be able to edit and erase anything that's been quoted from your post by another member in reply.

mod_wastrel
anonome
join:2008-03-28

mod_wastrel

It's about five days till your Edit capability goes away for a specific post.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness
said by fatness:

A lot of good (and some bad) information would disappear from the site if this were allowed. In particular, posters who got pressured from a past or current employer would remove information at that employer's request. Posters who are job hunting would remove some of their old posts here, concerned that it might somehow affect their future employment with someone. Posters who want to scrub google results of their posts would remove things they've posted. Finally, posters who get ticked off momentarily would remove a significant amount of posts.

And for true "I wish I hadn't posted that" moments, the Edit function is there for a day or 2 to go in and edit what you posted. Of course, it would be nice if that edit was then reflected in those who replied to the post using quoted sections.

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness

If I remember correctly the edit function is there for 5 days.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to nonamesleft

MVM

to nonamesleft
there is a search function, use it and you will see the last request for this was barely over a month ago.

nonamesleft
Manitowoc, WI

nonamesleft

said by davidg:

there is a search function, use it and you will see the last request for this was barely over a month ago.

Do YOU see any other threads about this topic in my search link results?
»/nsear ··· sts&cat=

Yes bring up an old thread and hear the WHINING That its 1 or 2 years old.

No wonder I got fed up and deleted my account here a few times.

mod_wastrel
anonome
join:2008-03-28

mod_wastrel

He's probably referring to this one: »[request] Give Creator of a Topic moderation rights to own Topic (though it's not the same, it's [sort of] similar). Either way, it ain't gonna happen. (Yes, it keeps coming up, but that's what the mods are for. And if you can't even edit your posts beyond 5 days, then you should expect that you wouldn't be allowed to delete them at all--and there are good reasons for that.)

nonamesleft
Manitowoc, WI

nonamesleft

said by mod_wastrel:

He's probably referring to this one: »[request] Give Creator of a Topic moderation rights to own Topic (though it's not the same, it's [sort of] similar). Either way, it ain't gonna happen. (Yes, it keeps coming up, but that's what the mods are for. And if you can't even edit your posts beyond 5 days, then you should expect that you wouldn't be allowed to delete them at all--and there are good reasons for that.)

Exactly my point, if the search doesn't match exactly, it won't bring anything up. So searching is sometimes flawed.

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57 to nonamesleft

Premium Member

to nonamesleft
said by nonamesleft:

No wonder you started this topic then, too. You sound like someone who often makes rash decisions.

Deleting/reinstating your account "a few times". Apparently regularly making posts you're later embarrassed by or not willing to stand behind.

Maybe taking a little time to think calmly before you post or delete your account (or reinstate it) is the way you should be going.

nonamesleft
Manitowoc, WI

nonamesleft

said by AB57:

said by nonamesleft:

No wonder you started this topic then, too. You sound like someone who often makes rash decisions.

Deleting/reinstating your account "a few times". Apparently regularly making posts you're later embarrassed by or not willing to stand behind.

Maybe taking a little time to think calmly before you post or delete your account (or reinstate it) is the way you should be going.

Maybe go back and re-read what I said. Taking what I say out of context will get you on ignore

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

1 recommendation

AB57

Premium Member

said by nonamesleft:

Maybe go back and re-read what I said.

Just re-read it. Didn't change anything.

Taking what I say out of context will get you on ignore

Oh, heaven forbid. Taking it in context, too?

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

Grail Knight to nonamesleft

Premium Member

to nonamesleft
*object*

Weirdal
Premium Member
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE

Weirdal to nonamesleft

Premium Member

to nonamesleft
This would ruin all those times when an OP makes a complete fool of himself with a misguided topic. What point would there be in having the cooler or Pub if it weren't for those topics?

Hawk
Premium Member
join:2003-08-25

Hawk to nonamesleft

Premium Member

to nonamesleft
Stop talking about me Al

*object*

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness
said by fatness:

actually, it sounds like a good thing.

Grothendieck
Premium Member
join:2002-07-28
Miami, FL

Grothendieck

Premium Member

said by AVD:

said by fatness:

actually, it sounds like a good thing.

Exactly, all the things fatness said I see them as a good thing...

***SIGN***

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to nonamesleft

Premium Member

to nonamesleft
*object*