bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..

What's up with this... The DOD wants to know what i'm doing?

I searched my ip geolocation on my phone ##debug#, Data Status, and it says
Technology: CDMA- EvDo rev A
IP: 21.80.73.xx
Last Error Code: 0

Well that IP takes me to the location here? Anyone know why this is? Other ip addys are accurate as to what they are on this site and others. Now I'm curious lol.
--

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream

No Sprint like many Wireless phone companies use NAT, to translate a public IP into a private IP (Just like your NAT router a home), they have so many devices and not enough IP's so they use ranges that are not found on the internet and never will be, this is one of them.
--
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe | AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE AM3 w/4 Cores @ 3.41Ghz(OC) | 4Gb DDR3 Memory @ 1600mhz | Sapphire ATI HD4870 1GB 800mhz/1000mhz(OC) | 2x500GB HDD's Raid 0 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Build 7600 (RTM) | Windstream DSL 12m (14.9m Sync)/766k

bobjohnson
Premium
Orlando, FL

Oh, that makes sense. Smartphones kind of make me nervous anyways. Not that I do anything wrong, I just value my privacy and dont want big brother in my pocket also. I see why that would work that way and didn't even think about it.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to bobjohnson

They also do this on their Virgin Mobile service. Best guess so far is that since sprint does/used to do a giant chunk of the dod networking they are re-using "dark" (legitimate but unused ip addresses) internally.

Are you really getting that assigned on a sprint branded product?

Or are you on Boost or Virgin Mobile?

nnaarrnn

join:2004-09-30
Nitro, WV
reply to Napsterbater

I've never had a Sprint device that didn't have a routable IP. You can even pay $5/mo for a static IP.

bobjohnson
Premium
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..
reply to dib22

said by dib22:

They also do this on their Virgin Mobile service. Best guess so far is that since sprint does/used to do a giant chunk of the dod networking they are re-using "dark" (legitimate but unused ip addresses) internally.

Are you really getting that assigned on a sprint branded product?

Or are you on Boost or Virgin Mobile?

Yes, it's on the moto photon 4g on sprint service
--

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by bobjohnson:

Yes, it's on the moto photon 4g on sprint service

Maybee they are finally using those IP's as their real IP addresses?

Does your internal IP match your external IP?

on the phone dialer you can usually dial:
*#*#4636#*#*
then choose Phone Information
then down below the ====DATA==== line it will list your local address

If you compare that to the address you get when using the browser aimed at »whatismyipaddress.com/ do they match?

bobjohnson
Premium
Orlando, FL

My external is the normal 66.87.xxx. ip. No they dont match and this phone is the only one i have ever had that had an internal ip of this sort. Thats what made me curious

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by bobjohnson:

My external is the normal 66.87.xxx. ip. No they dont match and this phone is the only one i have ever had that had an internal ip of this sort. Thats what made me curious

That is how they do they Virgin Mobile... they assign a dark ip as the internal network, then proxy to one of their normal sprint ips as the external... the last octet usually matches as well (internal x.y.z.23, external a.b.c.23).

Perhaps they are switching sprint handsets to this setup? Maybee it's just a goof up?

On a handset you won't notice much... the proxy setup only really hurts when you are running a service (like remote desktop, or a network camera etc) as they never pass the external requests through to the internal address unless it requested it.

Now if they start doing this to sprint data cards... well that would be a serious problem for those who are used to being assigned a proper IP!

Thanks for the info!