Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

flailingbart

join:2006-06-11
Winnipeg, MB

1 edit

[MB] Getting consistent lag spikes in *some* games

I've recently upgraded to the BB50 plan and received a new modem along with it. Ever since then, I've been getting lag spikes in certain online games I play (ping jumps ~5k ms every 10 seconds or so), while some other games are completely fine. I did call Shaw and asked to put the modem in bridged mode, but sadly it did not fix the problem.

edit: This issue is happening on 2 computers (1 wireless and 1 wired) which are going through a router I've had for a couple years.

Has anyone else experienced this type of issue?

If any more info is needed, let me know.

Blacksword

@96.53.105.x

My guess would be dropped packets. Some games are more forgiving of them then others. Can you run the speedtest a few times and see if it acts up on you?

flailingbart

Winnipeg, MB

1 edit
reply to flailingbart

Small update here:

Speed tests show no major issues. I'm getting 30Mb down and 3Mb up. Pinging google.com is a consistent 30ms.

Here's an image of the ping spikes in one of the games (happens in about 3 games that I play and every other game is perfectly fine). I've recently tried using a different router and also plugging directly into the modem. The ping spikes continued. I've also asked friends to test their pings in game and they were fine (none of them are using Shaw, though).

I don't understand how I can get ping spikes in specific games but everything else is perfect.

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to flailingbart

Can you run a tracert to the game servers and post your results? I have a feeling you're running into problems outside of our network.

Cheers
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

flailingbart

Winnipeg, MB

1 edit
reply to flailingbart

Traceroute looks good. Pinging it is also good (consistent ~60ms). Although something I forgot to point out is that I get the exact same spikes on their EU server. Same thing goes for another game that is experiencing these spikes on their NA and EU versions, Tera Online, but I don't have access at the moment to do any testing there as they do beta weekends every 2 weeks.

Tracing route to us.login.pathofexile.com [173.193.1.14]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     4 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3    28 ms     9 ms    24 ms  64.59.177.66
  4    40 ms    36 ms    54 ms  66.163.78.38
  5    28 ms    29 ms    30 ms  te1-7.bbr01.eq01.chi01.networklayer.com [206.223.119.63]
  6    51 ms    56 ms    55 ms  ae20.bbr01.eq01.dal03.networklayer.com [173.192.18.136]
  7    56 ms    62 ms    58 ms  ae0.dar01.sr01.dal01.networklayer.com [173.192.18.253]
  8    61 ms    55 ms    57 ms  po2.fcr05.sr06.dal01.networklayer.com [66.228.118.223]
  9    55 ms    53 ms    52 ms  173.193.1.14-static.reverse.softlayer.com [173.193.1.14]

Another note: It was working fine in game for about 30 minutes randomly (with the router) and then randomly stops working fine.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

My first thought was your signal might be out of spec, but still barely there, something might be pushing it just non-functional for brief moments.

I hope you get this figured out.

-Posted from my phone.

Jumpy

@shawcable.net
reply to flailingbart

The login server may not be the server you're actually communicating with while in game. Since its windowed, try bringing up a command prompt and running netstat -n and seeing what active connections you've got (this won't show you what servers you're talking with if the game uses UDP though).

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to flailingbart

Can you run and post the same test while directly connected to the modem?
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

flailingbart

Winnipeg, MB
reply to flailingbart

Before I try those, another update:

As of right now, after updating the second router's firmware to the latest, it appears to be working pretty well with the occasional small spike which is a massive improvement. I did forget to test the game before updating the firmware, though, so it could be a coincidence.

I'll be back later with an update.

flailingbart

Winnipeg, MB

2 edits

Sadly, it's looking like the problem is with the routers (both of them, somehow). The first router, a WRT54GL, has the problem pretty much all the time. Maybe 1 day out of the week the game will work for a few hours. The seconds router, a Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N, seems to work about half of the time. Even when it's working decently with one of the routers, there are still small ping spikes of about 20ms every few seconds, so it looks like the problem is still there, but being mitigated by something. Just connected to the modem, it was working perfectly. The ping graph was just a beautiful straight line at a constant 60ms. Both routers are running versions of DD-WRT on them, so that could be a possible suspect, although I couldn't find any issues like this on their forums.

So, yeah, it's looking like some sort of router issue, but I'm 90% sure the game worked fine using the older modem (Motorola Surfboard? I'll double-check this if needed). Could it be something with the current modem that isn't working quite right with the router? Can the old modem work with the BB50 plan?

Another random note: If I'm connected to the VPN Hotspot Shield, these lag spikes are completely gone, regardless of which router I'm connected to.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2

said by flailingbart:

Can the old modem work with the BB50 plan?

Older Surfboard DOCSIS 2.0 modems only support 1 DOCSIS channel. With nobody else on your node you'd hit a max around ~40 mbps.

To do BB50 you can see that you'd need at least 2 DOCSIS channels, which means channel bonding and a DOCSIS 3.0 modem are required.

Shaw no longer carries the DOCSIS 3.0 Motorola Surfboard 6120, so your options are an SMC or Cisco all-in-one gateway unit.

flailingbart

Winnipeg, MB
reply to flailingbart

Appreciate the replies. I think I actually found the problem. It involves BitTorrent but not in the way you'd think. Here's what I did this morning:

I opened Path of Exile (which is almost part of my morning routine now) to check if it was spiking. It wasn't spiking this morning *gasp*. This computer is upstairs and on wireless, so I kind of just noted which other computers were connected and double checked that none had BitTorrent running. All good. While on the subject of BitTorrent I decided to open it and see if anything suspicious (lag spikes) happened. It was open for about 20 seconds and connected to a few peers. Damn. The spikes were actually back. I close BitTorrent expecting the spikes to go away--nope still there. I restart my computer to double-check nothing is still running or connected from opening BitTorrent. The spikes were still there. I went downstairs to the computer that can connect to the modem directly.

I unplug the router from the modem and then plug the computer into the modem. I reset the modem to get an IP and open Path of Exile. No spikes. I then go back to using the router, reset modem to get an IP, and then open Path of Exile. Still good with no spikes. I curiously open BitTorrent again. Spikes are back. Close BitTorrent. Still spiking. I get the idea to clone the PC's MAC address (since it was fine with just the modem) to the router, reset modem to get an IP. Spikes are gone. I go back to being directly plugged into the modem. I didn't have to reset it since I'm using the same MAC address. Spikes still gone. Open up BitTorrent and the spikes are back. I go back to the router (same MAC still) and still spiking. Hm, I change the last two numbers of the router's MAC to something else and reset the modem. Spikes are gone.

It looks like the modem is doing something everytime BitTorrent is opened. The duration of whatever it's doing is limited (explains the random times the game works), but unknown. Whatever it's doing apparently affects the games Path of Exile and Tera.