All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
blaznazn224
join:2010-09-10
Scarborough, ON

blaznazn224 to lleader

to lleader

Re: [DSL] Blindsided by Teksavvy! $8 modem rental fee!

what i dont understand here is why people are bitching when the price of 25/7 has gone down from what it was before this big CRTC Fiasco..I believe 25/7 used to be in the range of $77 and now it costs $60. Maybe teksavvy did "decieve" you people by charging a modem rental fee separate...but even if they included that price in the total, the bottom line wouldn't change and the price would still be the price. Anyways I recommend going with cable...you get the same or better download and upload is also beginning to tick up.
Bhruic
join:2002-11-27
Toronto, ON

Bhruic

said by blaznazn224:

what i dont understand here is why people are bitching when the price of 25/7 has gone down from what it was before this big CRTC Fiasco..I believe 25/7 used to be in the range of $77 and now it costs $60. Maybe teksavvy did "decieve" you people by charging a modem rental fee separate...but even if they included that price in the total, the bottom line wouldn't change and the price would still be the price

I like how you put the word deceive in quotations, as if it doesn't really apply. It does. They sent us an email with a link to the prices they were planning to charge us starting Feb 2nd. Nowhere in that link was there any mention of a charge for modem rental. This isn't a case of not including it in the total, it wasn't mentioned at all.

Some of us, mistakenly it's now apparent, took them at their word, and believed that that was the price that they'd be charging. We were deceived. They are, in effect, increasing the price of our connection by $8/mth with no notice at all, and after promising us that we wouldn't be paying it.

Maybe you don't have a problem with a company lying to you. Maybe you don't have a problem with a company advertising prices that they have no intention of honouring. But you'll have to forgive the rest of us who have an issue with it.
CoreM
join:2005-06-29
France

CoreM to blaznazn224

to blaznazn224
I think there are a couple of reasons:

1) Nobody here has any interest whatsoever in paying for hardware over and over and over again that we will never end up being able to own.

2) Many users signed up for the 25/7 service due to all the reps telling us that the total cost would be effectively $52/mo. Once Feb 2nd rolled around many found out the hard way that there was an additional $8/mo fee on their bill. This was also contrary to their prior cost structure which included the modem fee in the price.

I don't see why it's so surprising to be "bitching" about that, do you?

Phibian
join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON

Phibian to blaznazn224

to blaznazn224
The modem rental things is a directly contradiction to TSI's approach of allowing customers to have a choice.

It is also not in the tariff. It bugs me to be forced to pay something that is not mandated in the tariff and then to put the blame on Bell.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by Phibian:

It is also not in the tariff. It bugs me to be forced to pay something that is not mandated in the tariff and then to put the blame on Bell.

I looked through all the recent Bell tariffs related to GAS and FTTN and didn't see a single mention of a modem rental fee. Also if they're going to make rental mandatory at least get Bell provide the Sagecoms to people that are having constant issues with the Cellpipe.
CoreM
France

CoreM

I'm sure all the tariffs are posted in here somewhere, but do you have the links handy perchance? I'd love to leaf though them myself.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by CoreM:

I'm sure all the tariffs are posted in here somewhere, but do you have the links handy perchance? I'd love to leaf though them myself.

»www.crtc.gc.ca/8740/eng/ ··· 1/b2.htm 2011 Tariff applications for Bell.
»www.crtc.gc.ca/8740/eng/ ··· 2/b2.htm 2012 Tariff applications for Bell.
CoreM
France

CoreM

Thanks!

Just had a quick look at the tarrifs for GAS from Feb 1st and found this on the GAS FTTN tarrifs:

Note 1: The service charge applies on each GAS-FTTN initial installation, and on all subsequent speed upgrades which require the use of the Company's VDSL modem. In all other cases, the Administration Fee per end-user applies.

In that I would assume that it's understood that some services *require* users to use Bell's modem? They don't list a specific fee but that is in there...
blaznazn224
join:2010-09-10
Scarborough, ON

blaznazn224 to CoreM

to CoreM
I don't like is how people judge a situation even without any or all of the information. In response to:
1) you don't need to buy the service if you don't want to. I don't know why they included a modem rental fee but it is what it is. Go to any other provider for 25/7 and its more expensive, but hey they don't charge you a modem rental fee so its all good right?

2)lets be honest, the whole thing was rushed, ithey don't have enough data or info for their prices. The customer service reps are at the bottom of the chain, they know only basic stuff so its reasonable that they don't know what the higher ups are thinking

How can they increase the price of a service that wasn't even charged yet? It was only on paper and nothing finalized, not one person was able to apply for it before february 2nd. Prices are always subject to change thats how things work, maybe they figured they'd take a hit if the price was $52? Maybe they want to make a profit. Again no one has the info. Especially when the CRTC decision barely gave anyone enough time to figure things out.
Also, teksavvy is a company, they're in it to make a profit not to help anyone out or be their best friend. I want teksavvy to be a decent competitor in the market, a good 3rd option against bell and Rogers, and the reason im with them in the end is for my own benefit. So I can get near unlimited bandwidth and down the road, hopefully a drop in internet prices overall. This is probably the reason the rest of you are with teksavvy as well...
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Blaznazn224 Um 25/7 has been around for Months... TOns of folks had said service before Feb 2cnd. So please get your facts Straight before u speak.

And El quintron nexicoms 25/7 offering is Indeed Dependant on bell its a bell Wholesale offering , I asked pstewart, its available, especially i would think this further to be true as 25/7 requires a 800m or less loop length to work, I don;t imagine Nexicom has remotes of there own as they are Only Colocated in the C/o in lindsay/peterpatch..

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to blaznazn224

MVM

to blaznazn224
said by blaznazn224:

How can they increase the price of a service that wasn't even charged yet? It was only on paper and nothing finalized, not one person was able to apply for it before february 2nd. Prices are always subject to change thats how things work, maybe they figured they'd take a hit if the price was $52? Maybe they want to make a profit. Again no one has the info. Especially when the CRTC decision barely gave anyone enough time to figure things out.

My 25/7 service(s) with TekSavvy were activated in early August 2011. It was a public service at the time.
malocite
join:2004-05-24
Hamilton, ON

malocite to blaznazn224

to blaznazn224
said by blaznazn224:

I don't like is how people judge a situation even without any or all of the information. In response to:
1) you don't need to buy the service if you don't want to. I don't know why they included a modem rental fee but it is what it is. Go to any other provider for 25/7 and its more expensive, but hey they don't charge you a modem rental fee so its all good right?

2)lets be honest, the whole thing was rushed, ithey don't have enough data or info for their prices. The customer service reps are at the bottom of the chain, they know only basic stuff so its reasonable that they don't know what the higher ups are thinking

Hey - I think what you're missing here is that TS is not charging the fee to people who signed up PRIOR to Feb 2. As well many customers who are complaining (myself included) called to order the service PRIOR to Feb 2 and were told to wait until after February. We were not told that by doing so the service would cost us an extra 8 dollars.

We are also upset that AFTER the fact TS has been 100% silent on this. They have not addressed this which is very unlike them and they have basically ignored this thread (and the others) and the issue.

We are upset because TS is BETTER than this. This is why we use them. This company provides a good service, at a good price. The 8 dollars is not going to hurt me, I spend more than that at McDonalds if I super size (you shouldn't do that because its SUPER fatty) We are upset at the principle that TS slid in a hidden fee in a sly way and then didn't own up to it, admit it, apologize for it or in any way address it other than to say - that's the price.

The anger stems from the fact that people feel mislead. I have been a HUGE fan of TS and have referred many people but I feel betrayed by this. And as a result I haven't ordered any price increase at all and am looking for an alternative company to do business with.

And that honestly hurts me.... I loved this company and to see it fall like this is very disheartening.

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Except they are now charging the fee to everyone. I signed up before Feb 2nd and my latest invoice shows the fee and accounting verified that the fee is applicable to all 25/7 services regardless of signup date.
malocite
join:2004-05-24
Hamilton, ON

malocite

said by Phibian:

Except they are now charging the fee to everyone. I signed up before Feb 2nd and my latest invoice shows the fee and accounting verified that the fee is applicable to all 25/7 services regardless of signup date.

Uh huh... wait... what?!

Are you telling me that after all of this... after all of the frustration and anger - and all they needed to do was say "Just to clarify the modem rental applies to all people regardless of sign up date"and they DIDN'T say it!?!

Teksavvy - Pull your heads out of your assess and start answering questions honestly and fully again.

(I spoke to two separate people there and did not get given this information)

So I guess we're back to them sucking on communication but not being sneaky liars.... I suppose that's a step up.

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Yeah that's about it. The communication on this was terrible. Even within TSI they didn't seem to have much of a clue about it. I spent a lot of time on hold while they got answers.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to morisato

Premium Member

to morisato
said by morisato:

And El quintron nexicoms 25/7 offering is Indeed Dependant on bell its a bell Wholesale offering , I asked pstewart, its available, especially i would think this further to be true as 25/7 requires a 800m or less loop length to work, I don;t imagine Nexicom has remotes of there own as they are Only Colocated in the C/o in lindsay/peterpatch..

Hmm... I don't think that's the whole story, although I'll take your word for Nexicom's 25/7 service being a wholesale offering, I'm pretty sure they're not a Co-Located ISP, my understanding is that Nexicom *is* the phone company in Peterborough.

Obviously someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

They're an ILEC where they have their own network, and a CLEC outside that area. Outside their territory they'd use Bell's FTTN-GAS service.
Bhruic
join:2002-11-27
Toronto, ON

Bhruic to malocite

to malocite
said by malocite:

So I guess we're back to them sucking on communication but not being sneaky liars.... I suppose that's a step up.

Not being?? After they repeatedly total multiple people that no, the modem rental fee would only apply to new signups? After they put out a FAQ that specifically said that the modem rental fee would only apply to new signups?

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

They're an ILEC where they have their own network, and a CLEC outside that area. Outside their territory they'd use Bell's FTTN-GAS service.

Does the CO Nexicom uses to provide service belong to Bell or Nexicom?

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

said by Guspaz:

Most likely Bell, they probably co-locate a DSLAM.
pallo
join:2011-12-01
canada

pallo

said by JC_:

said by El Quintron:

Most likely Bell, they probably co-locate a DSLAM.

If they really are an ILEC then I'd expect them to be like any other incumbent and own their CO, not just colocate.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by pallo:

If they really are an ILEC then I'd expect them to be like any other incumbent and own their CO, not just colocate.

That was my expectation as well... I was under the impression they were similar to AMTelecom pre-Eastlink buyout.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to malocite

Premium Member

to malocite
The 8$ modem fee will apply to new & existing customers. This has been recently reviewed and why the FAQ was removed from the site as we are trying to make sure everything is clear. Naturally questions will show up even after the FAQ is released.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by JenSuisUn:

The 8$ modem fee will apply to new & existing customers.

Can you shed some light on why there is a modem rental fee when there is no mention of it in the tariffs as well as why it wasn't mentioned before February 2, 2012.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

I believe the Charge was implemented in the Contract Bell provides to Wholesalers. This I don't have the details. I don't think I can even get the details for this contract either.

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

There "should" be an approved modem in the near future if bell gets off its ass and runs the tests a bit faster on the one sent in

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Could you elaborate on this please?

andyb
Premium Member
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

An isp has sent in a modem for testing.If it gets passed then a modem will be available that doesnt have anything to do with bell.How wide spread use of the modem will become I dunno.Depends on if consumers can buy them themselves or Isp's rent sell etc

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Ah. Is this acanac or someone else? I didn't think they were that far along in the process. Also you don't by chance know if this modem will work with both types of remotes (stinger & 7330)?

andyb
Premium Member
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

yes its Acanac but there may be others.As for what it will work with I dunno.I imagine it would have to work with all remotes bell has out there.I believe the sagecom works on both if that is what was sent in.Lots of modem suppliers out there willing to try to get into the vdsl market