spc
uniqs

Phibian
join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON

Phibian to ali gil

to ali gil

Re: [DSL] Cellpipe random reboots / loss of sync (Check logs ple

No the sagemcom appears to work fine with the 7330 (at least generally speaking). Some users are having other issues with the sagemcom but not to the same degree and with the same consistency as I understand it and not everyone.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by Phibian:

No the sagemcom appears to work fine with the 7330 (at least generally speaking). Some users are having other issues with the sagemcom but not to the same degree and with the same consistency as I understand it and not everyone.

I've got 25/7 directly with Bell and I got a Sagecom and it's working perfectly. My area was lit up in December for 25/7 so I'm assuming that I'm on an ALU 7330 remote.

When the install tech was here I asked if they were still using the Cellpipes and he said that he's never installed one here in Ottawa.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

Hey guys,

Yes I've been dealing with Bell. They are testing modems attempting to reproduce the issue. They've come back saying they've had that Cellpipe firmware 1.0.4.4R3WH and have not seen any reboots. Now from what I've been told by some of you is that you are getting the reboots even if there is no RJ11 plugged in. My concern right now is... why are we discussing Remotes? If you don't have anything but power in the modem & the modem reboots then it's nothing but the modem.

I'm still continuing to discuss this with Bell. I'm not giving up on this... I know this is frustrating to you all, but I ask for some patience as I'm attempting to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks,
Martin
paul2012
join:2012-02-08
Hamilton, ON

paul2012

I think the reason for the mention of specific remotes is only that the 1.0.4.4R3WH seems to be what most people have who are on a 7330 remote. Not that the remote itself is the cause of the problem.
Bhruic
join:2002-11-27
Toronto, ON

Bhruic to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
said by JenSuisUn:

Now from what I've been told by some of you is that you are getting the reboots even if there is no RJ11 plugged in. My concern right now is... why are we discussing Remotes? If you don't have anything but power in the modem & the modem reboots then it's nothing but the modem.

I know one or two people had an extra modem to test with, but the majority of us do not. I suspect most of us haven't tested to see if the reboots happen without the RJ11 plugged in. I'm not saying that the reports of it happening are wrong, but from a "convincing Bell it's a legitimate problem" point of view, I'm not sure relying on them being accurate is the best approach.

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
Hi Martin,

Yes the modem reboots without any RJ11 connected.

My test case is:
Open shipping box from Bell.
Remove modem from box.
Plug in one ethernet cable to a PC (only used to access web GUI on modem - no other traffic).
Plug in power and turn on modem.
Connect to web GUI and clear the system log.
Wait 30 hours (Pattern is a reboot sometime between 5 minutes and 30 hours).
Connect to web GUI and view log - note that there are now entries in the log showing that it went through a boot cycle.
Repeat as desired.

No changes are made to the modem other than clearing the log.
No RJ11 cable is plugged in.
No traffic from PC other than to view web GUI on modem.
Every single one of the modems I've had (about 10 of them now) have exhibited this behaviour.

I would be happy to discuss with Bell/whomever.
They can come and see the logs here.
They can have my modem (I currently have one extra that I haven't sent back yet).
I am happy to help them reproduce the issue in whatever way they want.

The only reason the remote is being mentioned is because the firmware in question is what you get if you are on that remote (as opposed to the other IKNS stinger remote where you get the same cellpipe modem but with different firmware that seems to actually works - but of course only with that remote not the one we are on).
abcxyz123
join:2012-01-17
k2k0h2

abcxyz123

Is there anyway they can get Phibian a modem loaded with the same version of the firmware the Bell contractor gave to me to see if it resolves his issue? I have not had the issue since Jan 9th when I got the swap out.

Rather than going through the shipping department process again, send the tech with the 1.0.4.3EF-ISAM firmware. He said that is the firmware on the modems that they give to the Bell customers, and it is the one they send to the contractors.

Model 1.0.4.3EF-ISAM
It has the 7330 remote sticker on it.
Loaded with 1.0.4.3EF-ISAM firmware.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

I've sent my Bell contact that request. Maybe we can... we'll have to see what he says.

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
Hi Martin,

Any further news on this?

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

I received this yesterday late afternoon.

=============
Some analysis have been in progress.
I will be happy to update you tomorrow.
=============

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Thanks Martin. I'll watch for an update late today then.

I hope the whole move thing is going alright.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

Yeah the New office will be awesome... Excited to have everyone under 1 roof again... to bring back the old TekSavvy days we used to have.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

Did they install a Timmy's at the new place? I can't imagine being without it. Extra Double Double for the win!
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Bah that stuff will make them fat and Unhealthy! Don;t wish those new american Like sized cofees on them!

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to JenSuisUn

Premium Member

to JenSuisUn
said by JenSuisUn:

Yeah the New office will be awesome... Excited to have everyone under 1 roof again... to bring back the old TekSavvy days we used to have.

How many roofs did you have now?

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

We were split into 3 locations.

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Did you get an update from them yesterday Martin?
stevescott
join:2009-12-14

stevescott

I'm just recently on 25/7, and I think I have this problem too

Tech on the phone told me to restore factory defaults on the cellpipe so I could still use my 54GL router (which has been 100% solid at my old house with a dlink modem)

But now I seem to DC randomly every few hours...and the logs on tomato seem to elude to it losing a connection to the modem ("modem hangup")?

....it's crazy irritating.

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Check the firmware on the cellpipe (in the menu not the sticker on the bottom). If you have the bad firmware (v1.0.4.4R3WH) it doesn't matter what you do to the modem it will keep rebooting.

PM TSI-Martin with your info and he will add you to the (ever growing) list of people with the problem. We are waiting to hear from him as to what the latest update from Bell is on this.
Bhruic
Toronto, ON

Bhruic to Phibian

to Phibian
said by Phibian:

Wait 30 hours (Pattern is a reboot sometime between 5 minutes and 30 hours).

I'm wondering about that pattern you mentioned before - while I've had 3-4 reboots in a single day, currently I've got:

Connection Uptime 3 days, 09:21:41

So mine, at least, seems capable of going well over 30 hours without a reboot. Well, unless it's spontaneously fixed itself (I checked, the firmware hasn't changed).
swiftex
join:2008-05-10
Toronto, ON

swiftex

You had issues with v1.0.4.4R3WH also?

lleader
join:2011-01-01
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

lleader

said by swiftex:

You had issues with v1.0.4.4R3WH also?

From CellPipe:

v1.0.4.4R3WH
2011/09/16 12:00

From router (just relevant lines):

Jan 27 02:05:03 unknown daemon.info pppd[24482]: No response to 5 echo-requests
Jan 27 02:05:03 unknown daemon.notice pppd[24482]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Jan 27 02:05:03 unknown daemon.info pppd[24482]: Connect time 1520.6 minutes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------
Jan 27 06:32:36 unknown daemon.info pppd[26443]: Connect time 252.6 minutes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------
Jan 27 19:12:01 unknown daemon.info pppd[26937]: Connect time 758.2 minutes.
Jan 31 04:37:57 unknown daemon.info pppd[27530]: Connect time 4885.1 minutes.
Feb 1 00:34:35 unknown daemon.info pppd[28453]: Connect time 1195.7 minutes.
Feb 1 16:02:19 unknown daemon.info pppd[28965]: Connect time 926.8 minutes.
Feb 1 16:39:17 unknown daemon.info pppd[29526]: Connect time 36.1 minutes.
Feb 2 03:10:07 unknown daemon.info pppd[30007]: Connect time 629.3 minutes.
Feb 3 11:48:41 unknown daemon.info pppd[30546]: Connect time 1957.3 minutes.
Feb 4 15:42:43 unknown daemon.info pppd[31260]: Connect time 1672.6 minutes.
Feb 6 11:20:22 unknown daemon.info pppd[31900]: Connect time 2616.2 minutes.
Feb 8 05:48:20 unknown daemon.info pppd[32600]: Connect time 2546.6 minutes.
Feb 10 14:49:43 unknown daemon.info pppd[816]: Connect time 3419.9 minutes.
Feb 10 16:16:58 unknown daemon.info pppd[1596]: Connect time 86.3 minutes.
Feb 11 07:11:17 unknown daemon.info pppd[2087]: Connect time 892.9 minutes.
Feb 11 14:51:17 unknown daemon.info pppd[2643]: Connect time 458.7 minutes.
Feb 12 12:21:38 unknown daemon.info pppd[3097]: Connect time 1289.7 minutes.
Feb 12 12:58:57 unknown daemon.info pppd[3716]: Connect time 35.7 minutes.
Feb 13 10:23:07 unknown daemon.info pppd[4175]: Connect time 1283.0 minutes.
Feb 15 14:11:08 unknown daemon.info pppd[7347]: Connect time 2193.9 minutes.
Feb 15 14:40:17 unknown daemon.info pppd[8101]: Connect time 27.9 minutes.
Feb 15 21:55:53 unknown daemon.info pppd[8517]: Connect time 434.8 minutes.
Feb 16 20:12:14 unknown daemon.info pppd[9056]: Connect time 1334.9 minutes.
Feb 17 12:22:04 unknown daemon.info pppd[9656]: Connect time 968.3 minutes.
Feb 18 20:47:52 unknown daemon.info pppd[10209]: Connect time 1944.3 minutes.
Feb 18 23:44:18 unknown daemon.info pppd[11847]: Connect time 83.0 minutes.
Feb 19 12:08:37 unknown daemon.info pppd[12335]: Connect time 742.8 minutes.

Longest connect was 81 hours, shortest was 28 minutes.

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

The 5 minutes to 30 hours thing is not exact by any means. It jus represents a rough average. Three days is a long time to go without a reboot but it seems so random that I guess it is not impossible. Maybe it is saving them up

I've got pingdom recording things so I guess that by now I might have enough data to be statistically sound. I should take a look...
Bhruic
Toronto, ON

Bhruic

said by Phibian:

The 5 minutes to 30 hours thing is not exact by any means. It jus represents a rough average. Three days is a long time to go without a reboot but it seems so random that I guess it is not impossible. Maybe it is saving them up

Well, I made it to just over 4 days. Did I win anything?

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Well you beat me.

I ran some numbers and this is what I've got for February (for one of the modems).

In 19 days I've got 28 reboots (1.47 reboots per day).

Shortest uptime: 35.9 minutes
Longest uptime: 56 hours (2.3 days)
Average uptime: 15.8 hours

So in general we are looking at a reboot within 24 hours but there is certainly some variation.

Looking at the distribution over the day it seems to be pretty even. A very slight bias towards the morning but that could well be the limited data set.

In terms of frequency I'm seeing no discernible patterns. Sometimes there is a group of longer periods of uptime, sometimes there are groups of shorter periods but in general it seems to be pretty random.
Phibian

Phibian to Bhruic

to Bhruic
Ok new record: 5.5 days before a reboot.
NLZ
join:2009-03-20
Hamilton, ON

NLZ

Mine has been rebooting without it showing anything in the logs all of a sudden, strange.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by NLZ:

Mine has been rebooting without it showing anything in the logs all of a sudden, strange.

Haha, Bell fixed it so you can't track the reboots! LOL.
Pinworm45
join:2008-06-01
Ottawa, ON

Pinworm45

said by HiVolt:

Haha, Bell fixed it so you can't track the reboots! LOL.

This honestly wouldn't surprise me in the slightest..

Still getting reboots.
swiftex
join:2008-05-10
Toronto, ON
Asus RT-AC66
SmartRG SR505N

swiftex to Phibian

to Phibian
said by Phibian:

Ok new record: 5.5 days before a reboot.

You got a new modem? Details?

STINGER REMOTE CONNECTED

I've since switched out the following:

v1.0.4.4R3WH

REASON

1. Held a sync but web pages wouldn't load (a few instances for a period of 3 weeks),

2. Losing connection to the nic card,

3. Seemed like DNS resolving issues,

REMEDY

Popped in the other Cell-Pipe with the Stinger firmware,

Only 6 hours and no issues yet.