spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Drake1

join:2012-02-12
Baird, TX

[Troubles] 2wire 2701HG PS3 remote play problem.

Hello! I was wondering if someone here could help me with a problem I am having with my router and ps3. There is this feature called remote play where you can turn on your PS3 with a PSP or PlayStation Vita and browse the PS3 over the internet. In order to do that you have enable internet start up, which is what allows you to turn on the PS3 over the internet when you are not at home.

My problem is that the 2701HG sends out a ping signal every few seconds to a minute to discover the network which causes the ps3 to mistake it as a wake up call from a PSP or Vita. When it happens and "wakes up" the ps3, if there is no activity from a PSP or vita to browse the system after 10 minutes, the PS3 shuts down and disables the internet start up, making it impossible to turn it on over the net. Is there a way to stop the 2701HG from sending out the ping signal to discover the network and turning on the PS3? I use Windstream and I originally posted in the Windstream forum and I was told that they don't control the firmware in the 2701HG and to try posting here and getting help from 2 wire technician, which I am doing in hopes of getting this problem fixed.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
Like most other routers the 2wire uses arp to determine if a device is active or inactive

You could try assigning the tcp/ip info to all devices, disable the 2wire dhcp server and clear the lan network list

Drake1

Baird, TX
Ok, how would I go about doing that? Would it affect our other devices like our computers, laptops etc?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
said by Drake1:

Ok, how would I go about doing that?

Which part.....assigning the tcp/ip info or making the changes to the 2wire
said by Drake1:

Would it affect our other devices like our computers, laptops etc?

Not really

Drake1

Baird, TX
I'm not really Network savvy, but let's go with making the changes to the 2wire.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
This should not be done until after assigning the tcp/ip info to all devices

To disable the 2wire dhcp server go to this 2wire page
192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C06
Make the private network section look like the picture below and click the save button

Drake1

Baird, TX
So if I understand you correctly, I Shouldn't try that in the picture until I assign the tcp/ip stuff? Because I haven't done that, nor do I know how. Would I have to do it everything that uses the router? Or just the PS3 and PSP?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

1 edit
said by Drake1:

So if I understand you correctly, I Shouldn't try that in the picture until I assign the tcp/ip stuff?

Correct
said by Drake1:

Because I haven't done that, nor do I know how

These two links/pages should help with the computers
Assigning a static IP address on a wired computer
Assigning a static IP address on a wireless computer
Setting up a static IP on the PS3
said by Drake1:

Would I have to do it everything that uses the router? Or just the PS3 and PSP?

You'll need to do it to all devices that use the router

Drake1

Baird, TX
Thank you very much! I'll try it out.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to Drake1
said by Drake1:

I use Windstream and I originally posted in the Windstream forum and I was told that they don't control the firmware in the 2701HG and to try posting here and getting help from 2 wire technician, which I am doing in hopes of getting this problem fixed

I am not a 2wire technician.......

To use the remote play feature via the internet you need to forward tcp port number 9293 to the ps3

Drake1

Baird, TX

2 edits
Would forwarding that port make the router stop the ARP on the PS3?

Edit: I'm port forwarding it now but on the part that says "Select a computer
Choose the computer that will host applications through the firewall:" Do I choose the PS3 or the computer that is connected to the router via Ethernet cord?

Edit 2: Port forwarding didn't work. But I've been doing some reading on the internet would setting a static IP on the PS3 outside my routers DHCP range, make it to where the ARP packets wouldn't wake the PS3 up? I can already use the remote play on my internet if I can wake the PS3 up with my PSP before my router does with the ARP. So that might be why the port forwarding didn't help.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
said by Drake1:

Would forwarding that port make the router stop the ARP on the PS3?

No
said by Drake1:

Edit: I'm port forwarding it now but on the part that says "Select a computer Choose the computer that will host applications through the firewall:" Do I choose the PS3 or the computer that is connected to the router via Ethernet cord?

Choose the ps3 by name or ip address
said by Drake1:

would setting a static IP on the PS3 outside my routers DHCP range, make it to where the ARP packets wouldn't wake the PS3 up?

No

Once you "pair" a psp or playstation vita to the ps3 the ps3 can be woken via the internet or the lan

I doubt that the 2wire is causing the problem

Drake1

Baird, TX
I have paired my PSP to my PS3, and can get it to work over the internet if I can wake the PS3 up with the PSP before my router sends out a signal to discover the network, which the PS3 mistakes as a wake up call from a PSP or Vita. I've been browsing a lot of other forums and this is a pretty common thing with various routers. I was just wondering if it's possible to disable the signal my 2wire router sends, or if I would be better off buying a new router.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
said by Drake1:

I was just wondering if it's possible to disable the signal my 2wire router sends, or if I would be better off buying a new router

I don't know what the signal is that the 2wire sends out

I've posted how I would start troubleshooting to try and find a solution