uniqs

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

[VOD] Preferred Collection

My latest bill has a notice that the "Preferred Collection" OnDemand will be gone as of Feb 29. It had a nice selection of movies. Now I'm down to Encore and the few free movies. And this when the prices are all going up this month, too!

defiant8
join:2000-09-04
Monroe, MI

defiant8

I think the "Preferred Collection" was just selections from other premium networks VOD menus. Yes, no?

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to andyross

to andyross
Wow, that was one huge plus that Comcast had over FIOS in that they offered a decent library of on demand movies for free. I see they will now charge $8-$9.95/mo now for it.

I switched from Comcast to FIOS last year and that was one thing I definately missed....

andyross
MVM
Aurora, IL

andyross to defiant8

MVM

to defiant8
said by defiant8:

I think the "Preferred Collection" was just selections from other premium networks VOD menus. Yes, no?

It seemed to be just a selection of movies. There were no logos or any type of pre-roll. It was just the movie. There is a decent selection, both SD and HD. A quick shows about 336 HD movies!
chewch99
join:2008-04-20
united state

chewch99

It's being replaced by something bigger and better. I forgot what they call it, but I did read about it on the Comcast employee website. I'll see if I can read more about it tomorrow and post more info.

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by chewch99:

It's being replaced by something bigger and better. I forgot what they call it, but I did read about it on the Comcast employee website. I'll see if I can read more about it tomorrow and post more info.

Bigger , Better and of course not free for some of the plans including digital starter.

utsports
join:2009-07-13
Knoxville TN

utsports to andyross

to andyross
I received the same notice on my latest bill it states this under the 'News From Comcast' section:

"On February 29th, the "Preferred Collection" On Demand
folder will no longer be available."

blablah
@myvzw.com

blablah to chewch99

Anon

to chewch99
said by chewch99:

Streampix

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by blablah :

Streampix

Looks like it rolls out end of the month and will cost around $4.99 or so. It will also contain tv shows from the main networks along with movies. I found a link in Google for the main page but its currently not active but google had a cache-image of it to view.
yhp
join:2006-12-27
Philadelphia, PA

yhp to blablah

to blablah
said by blablah :

Streampix

Oh, man. They're making the off-color puns just TOO easy.
chewch99
join:2008-04-20
united state

chewch99 to andyross

to andyross
At launch, Streampix will include at least 500 movies and 1,000 TV episodes from popular series (past and present). More than 50% of movie titles and TV shows will be available in HD. Over time, we will add thousands of additional film titles and TV episodes. Customers can stream available movies and shows an unlimited number of times similar to Netflix™.

Product Subscribers XFINITY Plan Streampix Price

1-2 Product Video subs
Digital Starter (all varieties) $4.99

Digital Preferred (all varieties) $4.99

Digital premier (all varieties) $4.99

Triple Play subs
HD Preferred - $119 (all varieties) $4.99

HD Preferred Plus - $139 (3.0, 4.0, 5.0) Included

HD Premier - $159 (3.0, 4.0, 5.0) Included

HD Complete - $199 (4.0, 5.0) Included

MultiLatino Ultra HD Plus - $139 (4.0, 5.0) Included

MultiLatino HD Total - $159 (4.0, 5.0) Included

MultiLatino HD Complete - $199 (4.0, 5.0) Included

Alchemy HD Preferred Plus (4.0, 5.0) Included

Alchemy HD Premier (4.0, 5.0) Included

Alchemy MultiLatino Ulta HD Plus (4.0, 5.0) Included

HD Preferred Plus – Tenant (4.0, 5.0) Included

HD Premier – Tenant (4.0, 5.0) Included

HD complete – Tenant (4.0 ,5.0) Included

Video Blast Products

Blast! Extra / Blast! Plus: Included

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to andyross

to andyross
Looks like its game on against netflix. That $4.99 price is directly aimed to undercut them. Of course netflix has loads of more titles but lets see how quickly streampix increases it library.

Verizon also is going to start offering streaming online to non verizon customers. I wonder if comcast down the road will offer this to non customers also for like $7.99/mo..

andyross
MVM
Aurora, IL

andyross to chewch99

MVM

to chewch99
Is Streampix part of OnDemand, or is it a video streaming service?

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by andyross:

Is Streampix part of OnDemand, or is it a video streaming service?

Both...

HELPmePLEASE
@comcast.net

HELPmePLEASE

Anon

So this large selection of "free" movies will be replaced with something that we will be given the pleasure of paying extra for.

That sounds about right.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

There is an article today on the Multichannel News site about the new Xfinity Streampix service:

Comcast Takes Aim At Netflix With 'Streampix'
Movies, Full TV Show Seasons Available from Disney-ABC, NBCU, Sony, Warner Bros.
Multichannel News - February 21, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/art ··· pix_.php

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by telcodad:

Movies, Full TV Show Seasons Available from Disney-ABC, NBCU, Sony, Warner Bros.

Ok I called it, what prize do I get....
RalphKramden
join:2007-01-10
Newtown, PA

1 edit

RalphKramden to telcodad

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

Available today in north Philly burbs. Seems it's included in my triple play price. Based on a quick scan of content, not horrible but don't think I'd pay an extra $5 for it.

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to andyross

to andyross
Here's a link to see the current offerings of streampix

»xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv ··· 486/main

Movie selections remind me of what Encore offers and the TV Series is very limited with just 25 series atm. They do say much more content will be added this year so lets see how they compare to netflix by then.
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder

I've said for years they should use their entire On Demand PPV library to compete with Netflix. If they charged a flat rate for the new releases, as opposed to the $6 a pop, I'd jump right on it. Currently, I see no value in the PPV VOD and don't use it.
The Q
join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

The Q to HELPmePLEASE

to HELPmePLEASE
said by HELPmePLEASE :

So this large selection of "free" movies will be replaced with something that we will be given the pleasure of paying extra for.

That sounds about right.

I have Streampix now on my TV screen and also still see the Free Movies category. I think most customers would qualify to get streampix included (I don't pay any extra for it).

andyross
MVM
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

Most? You must have a higher-end Internet or TV package. I only have Preferred TV and Performance Internet (mid-level). I don't believe it's included in that. Many people may only have Digital Starter TV, or even basic.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

From chewch99's post in this thread (»[VOD] Preferred Collection), you must have "HD Preferred Plus" service or better for it to be included without any extra cost.

HELPmePLEASE
@comcast.net

HELPmePLEASE to The Q

Anon

to The Q

You don't pay any "extra" for the Streampix in the way of a separate fee listed under Additional Xfinity TV Services on your bill, but your overall bill is higher than us lesser people that don't have your level of a triple-play bundle or higher.

That's like saying the HD Complete bundle has a free DVR; but does it really when your bill is at the very LEAST $206.99/month?

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight to chewch99

to chewch99
See my post in the thread:

»[VOD] Streampix

The post describes why I'm confused about the menus associated with Streampix.