how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mboy
Premium
join:2001-04-13
Little Falls, NJ

Netgear wndr 3700 v1 AND v2 can not connect to WAN.

Let me preface thus by saying I have done the modem/router reset MULTIPLE times and have LOTS of IT experience.

Modem- Ubee Docsis 3 modem. No Phone, just a straight doc 3 cable modem.
Hooked up to an ancient linksys wrt54g it works just fine.

Initially had the V2 working after leaving modem unplugged for several hours.
GF accidentally unplugged it for 2 seconds and then could never get WAN IP back. 3700v2 just cant get the DHCP lease from Comcast.

Tried my version 1, left modem unplugged overnight and still couldn't get WAN IP.
Comcast support on phone worthless as we all know.

There is no battery in this little crappy modem.

AGain, old linksys hooks right up and gets WAN Ip and no problems on internet.

Neither 3700 can get a wan IP.

MAC cloning did not work.

ANy thoughts?

Both routers worked fine on another comcast connection with a different modem (one that has VOIP).
I know the problem is on Comcasts headned, but the guy on phone wouldnt admit to or bother looking into it.

defiant
MVM
join:2000-09-04
Monroe, MI
kudos:2
All I can say is, try the following exactly as described:
»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···ing-101/
--
Employee of Charter Communications. The views and opinions expressed in the post above may not reflect those of my employer.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to mboy
did you check settings on the routers?

were they from a different network? (dsl)
--
I'm better than you!

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
kudos:1
reply to mboy
You say you have done the reset on both several times.
Does that mean unplugging the power reset or doing the red button reset on the router?
I have the 37AV which is just the 3700v2 re-branded. When I installed a new modem, I had the same problem you are having.
Ended up resetting the router with the red button and a paper clip and it came right up.

Floppy

join:2002-07-03
reply to mboy
said by mboy:

AGain, old linksys hooks right up and gets WAN Ip and no problems on internet.

I know the problem is on Comcasts headned, but the guy on phone wouldnt admit to or bother looking into it.

Lets see: the old router works and the new one doesn't.

What exactly is your hypothesis that this is a headend issue?

I have the same exact router with no issues. Dude the problem is your router plain and simple.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mboy
Follow the instructions in the link defiant provided. They may seem simple, but the order and timing in which things happen is crucial. I have a WNDR 3400, which is the same as the 3700 but without gigabit support, and it didn't work until I followed those instructions (a year ago-solid ever since).

SeaSeaTee5

join:2010-05-06
Maryland
reply to mboy
Factory reset the router. When you set it up again use a different SSID.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
Master reset, I get, curious how renaming the wireless SSID would fix a problem with getting an IP address from the modem....
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

mboy
Premium
Little Falls, NJ
reply to Floppy
So the problem is with 2 Netgear routers BOTH of which work on my comcast connection at home?

I am glad you don't work for me ( I am an IT director)!

mboy
Premium
Little Falls, NJ
reply to owlyn
Not only have I done this , but this is probably the 300+ router I have connected to some kind of internet connection (T1,DSL, Cable, etc).

I am no stranger to this and no stranger to networking with real routers.

AS in original post, I even left everything unpowered for about an entire day! HAve ALWAYS power cycled modem, waited, powered on routers (both) and multiple times same result.

Theire is clearly something on comcast end when neither router will connect at GF's house, but mine NO problem (and mine are pulling their wan ip's from my sonicwall(really a lan ip, but via the internet port on both routers). (yes, double NAT I know, I like it that way).

defiant
MVM
join:2000-09-04
Monroe, MI
kudos:2
Perhaps, too many DHCP requests within a given time? If all else fails, post in the Comcast Direct forum.

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI
reply to mboy
What Mac were you using when cloning? PC's Mac?
If the linksys worked, did you try cloning that MAC?

mboy
Premium
Little Falls, NJ
said by rendrenner:

What Mac were you using when cloning? PC's Mac?
If the linksys worked, did you try cloning that MAC?

The linksys MAc for it's WAN port.

wbaborcomca

@comcast.net
First, I am NOT a IT tech...

I have the WNR 1000....and had the same problem....

Reset the router to factory specs...from routerlogin.net...then unplug the router...plug back in...

Go back to the routerlogin.net and set up thru the wizard....Auto channel, and set security as recommended ...when it asks for a mac address...mark use computer..it should then connect to the Netgear website...set up SSID and password...then log out...

You should be able to surf and find the SSID from whatever device you are using....worked for me...had to call tier tech support.

For some reason with Comcast you have to set Mac address as from the computer you are using...

mboy
Premium
Little Falls, NJ
said by wbaborcomca :

I have the WNR 1000....and had the same problem....

Reset the router to factory specs...from routerlogin.net...then unplug the router...plug back in...

Go back to the routerlogin.net and set up thru the wizard....Auto channel, and set security as recommended ...when it asks for a mac address...mark use computer..it should then connect to the Netgear website...set up SSID and password...then log out...

You should be able to surf and find the SSID from whatever device you are using....worked for me...had to call tier tech support.

For some reason with Comcast you have to set Mac address as from the computer you are using...

I will try this over weekend when I am there. Thanks.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to wbaborcomca
said by wbaborcomca :

....mac cloning is not required....
--
I'm better than you!

SeaSeaTee5

Maryland
reply to jack b
I assumed he was trying to connect wirelessly. Sometimes you just have to treat it as a new connection and start fresh. If you try to use the same SSID, the device you're trying to connect will try to apply the old settings no matter how sure you are that you changed them...

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
reply to mboy
Check the DHCP and LAN settings on the PC. They could prevent the router from acquiring an external IP address.

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA
I have a wndr3700 with openwrt. I couldn't get an ip, then I reflashed it again and all is good... and if you haven't reboot your modem.

mboy
Premium
Little Falls, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to SeaSeaTee5
And that has to do with what when trying to get a WAN IP for a router?

FarmerBob

join:2000-12-21
Littleton, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
·EarthLink
·ViaTalk
reply to mboy
Flash them with dd-wrt third party firmware and it will open a whole world of capabilities for those units dar beyond what Netgear allows them to do. Been running it on my 3 3300's (soon to be 4500's) and have not only never had a problem, but when it comes doing advanced networking, they fall right into place.

The reason I use dd-wrt in the first place is that Netgear's firmware is just plain bad and was causing all kinds of problems that Netgear knew of, and actually told me they chose not to address and weren't going to. Had to find a solution and dd-wrt was it.

KevTech
Premium
join:2002-08-22
Seattle, WA
Having tried both DD-WRT and OpenWrt Backfire on the 3700v1 and v2 I can say that Backfire is much better as far as wireless signal strength.

DD-WRT wireless drivers are not well optimized for this router.

SeaSeaTee5

Maryland
reply to mboy
My bad. You're right. It MUST be a headend issue. I'd write your congressman and make Comcast check their headend.

SeaSeaTee5

Maryland
reply to mboy
And my suggestion to change the SSID has nothing to do with your WAN IP Address. I just suggested it because I've seen enough wireless devices have issues when trying to connect to routers that have been factory reset and re-named with the exact same SSID.

mboy
Premium
Little Falls, NJ
reply to SeaSeaTee5
Or I can just change my SSID and hope that the Wan Port picks up an IP address from Comcast because, I clearly stated I had trouble connecting to the router wirelessly.

FarmerBob

Littleton, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
·EarthLink
·ViaTalk
reply to mboy
I have just switched to Comcast (Ubee DOCSIS 3 DDM3513) from Qworst (every modem they have ever had). Where I was running my modem in bridge mode and logged in with the router. Can't do that with Comcast. So I set the router WAN to Automatic-DHCP, it then got a DHCP IP of 192.168.2.100 from the modem, and since my network was all ready set up I just set the DHCP in the modem to 192.168.0.1 and it worked as if nothing had been done. I even have a Grandstream ATA between the two and can access all devices. So unless there is a bug with the Netgear like I originally had that made me change over to dd-wrt in the stock firmware, there shouldn't any major issues in connecting. And no need to set up the wireless portion any different then you normally would. I see no association there.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by FarmerBob:

I have just switched to Comcast (Ubee DOCSIS 3 DDM3513) from Qworst (every modem they have ever had). Where I was running my modem in bridge mode and logged in with the router. Can't do that with Comcast. So I set the router WAN to Automatic-DHCP, it then got a DHCP IP of 192.168.2.100 from the modem, and since my network was all ready set up I just set the DHCP in the modem to 192.168.0.1 and it worked as if nothing had been done. I even have a Grandstream ATA between the two and can access all devices. So unless there is a bug with the Netgear like I originally had that made me change over to dd-wrt in the stock firmware, there shouldn't any major issues in connecting. And no need to set up the wireless portion any different then you normally would. I see no association there.

From your post it would appear that your DDM3513 "modem" is actually a modem/router combination device since it is delivering a private IP address to your router instead of a public IP address. If the OP's Ubee "modem" does the same thing, that might explain his problem, since I don't know of any residential/soho grade router that will work if the WAN and LAN are using the same IP subnet (and I don't know what LAN subnet the OP's Netgear router is using).
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

FarmerBob

Littleton, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
·EarthLink
·ViaTalk
I wanted to make the Grandstream ATA/Router that I have inline as transparent as possible and switched it over to Bridge from NAT Router. That did not work at all. So after performing what felt like major surgery to get back to square one, and part of it was to leave the GS unplugged for about two hours and once plugged back in another hour before it would grab an IPA from the Ubee. The GS has voice prompts and I would check every so often and it took a while for the two to sync up.

As for when I had the Netgear direct, since I am running dd-wrt firmware, I just put it in Automatic Configuration - DHCP and it grabbed an IPA instantly. I wouldn't put it past the Netgear stock firmware getting in the way on this. Initially I got Double NATting/Road Block with the stock FW which forced me to find an alternative that would allow more control. I have read many posts in the Netgear (and related) forums while I was having my initial problems and all issues centered around the firmware and how Netgear thinks we should do things, instead of the way they need to be done.

But then "Comcast", "Dynamic IPs" (just came from a Static), Netgear stock FW. Lots of snakes on that plane.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
OK?

My question then, is did your router (Netgear or whatever) actually get a private 192.168.x.y IP address assigned to its WAN interface from your Ubee "modem" (as you originally said), or did it get it from from your Grandstream ATA/Router?

If it got it directly from your Ubee"modem", that would be highly unusual since that should only happen when connected to a modem/router gateway device, not to a standard cable modem.

If it got the private IP address from your Grandstream ATA/Router, that would be quite normal (but would not really be relevant to what the OP has posted is his problem).
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

FarmerBob

Littleton, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
·EarthLink
·ViaTalk
said by NetFixer:

OK?

My question then, is did your router (Netgear or whatever) actually get a private 192.168.x.y IP address assigned to its WAN interface from your Ubee "modem" (as you originally said), or did it get it from from your Grandstream ATA/Router?

If it got it directly from your Ubee"modem", that would be highly unusual since that should only happen when connected to a modem/router gateway device, not to a standard cable modem.

If it got the private IP address from your Grandstream ATA/Router, that would be quite normal (but would not really be relevant to what the OP has posted is his problem).

Questions:
#1: Both. Depending on which setup. It got an IPA in both setups if I set the Netgear router to Auto Config - DHCP. It would get it from any device in front of it that was capable of handing out IPAs. It sucks up whatever is made available.

#2: The Ubee DDM3513 Cable Modem/Router is just that and when connected directly to the Ubee and the GS was behind the Netgear, the Netgear router get an IPA from the Ubee as would any device behind it. I don't see how this is "highly unusual"? It's basic networking. When the GS was, and is, between the Ubee and the Netgear, the Netgear gets it's IPA from the GS and the GS gets it from the Ubee. I thought it would be jumbled mess, but is working just fine and the newer GS ATA has made my VoIP service far better than the backend Linksys ATA.

So, it gets an IPA from whichever device is directly in front of it. That's unless the Ubee could be and in the Qwest case, one of many modem/routers that were put into "Transparent Bridge" mode, then the Netgear would do the logging in and get the IPA directly. That I have not seen doable with the Ubee cable modem/router, yet.