uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

Username highlighted in threads

I know when searching for a text string, the string will appear highlighted (yellow), but in this thread, for example, »[OS X] OSX USB question, "Hall" is highlighted in the OP's location.

I was simply VIEWING the thread, not searching. I realize this is a side-effect of my username here, but since I wasn't searching for that, why is it doing this ?

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory
kudos:6
I think the username highlighting in the pages is a result of a bquote existing anywhere in the thread, I see it all the time in topics that I'm simply viewing.

Remember this one? »why's my username highlighted??

mod_wastrel
iamwhatiam

join:2008-03-28
kudos:1
I've thought a number of times that the search result highlight should have remained yellow [as it did--typical 'Find' highlight color] but the username highlight should have remained green instead of being changed to yellow.
--
"Sorry for not responding to your post, but either I haven't seen it yet, or what you said was so devoid of substance that I found it utterly uninteresting."

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
I agree with you. Using green color to highlight user, logged in (e.g. me), is an old tradition here. It would be much easier to keep it that way if site developers would not use code like this:
<span class="yellow">OZO</span>

If the class was "user" here (and not "yellow" as it is now), it'd be easier to keep it e.g. green and then highlight in yellow all search results. The only question here is - do the developers of the code want to make it a bit more clean and self-explanatory or not...

--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

OZO
Premium
BTW, here is how I see myself now:

My account is green

mod_wastrel
iamwhatiam

1 edit
reply to OZO
I hadn't bothered to do it until just now--when I decided [just for fun] to make it green:
a[href="/profile/1540952"] span.yellow
{ background-color:  #0f0  !important;
  padding-left:  2px  !important;
  padding-right:  2px  !important;
  border-radius:  2px  !important;
  }

which produces this:

--
"Sorry for not responding to your post, but either I haven't seen it yet, or what you said was so devoid of substance that I found it utterly uninteresting."

mod_wastrel
iamwhatiam

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to OZO
I changed mine back to this right after they changed it here:

(It's just so much more useful for it to be highly visible.)

...been playing around with it even more--looks like this now (I use jQuery to give the uinfo td a class of 'user' then use CSS to color the bg ):

(meh -- I like gradients. )

OZO
Premium
reply to mod_wastrel
Additionally, I found it very useful to highlight in green my account name on top of every post, that was directly replied to my post. In this case i't easier to find those posts fast... And it's more productive too, because usually those posts have connection to what I've said earlier.

Similarly, if someone mentioned my name (like, e.g. here - OZO See Profile) in their posts, I see it green too. So I easily find fast and see who mentions my name and in what context...
--

OZO
Premium
And here is example of green highlight of my account name in posts, directly replied to mine:

Direct reply to my post

My page contains up to 100 posts and those highlights are very useful to bring my attention to those direct replies in a long list of posts.

I've suggested developers of this site to offer it for all users (because it's quite useful), but who listens here...
--

OZO
Premium
Moreover, I usually want to see who is giving me kudos and who I gave mine. The green highlight is useful to achieve that too. And here is example:

Kudos given - in green

There is a lot of things, that could be improved in this site with very simple code changes. It requires only willingness and some attention to proposals of its users...
--

mod_wastrel
iamwhatiam

2 edits
Well, on the bright side [sort of]... if they improved everything to the point we wanted, then I likely wouldn't have any reason to play around with things (and mod the hell out of 'em):

(My image was "redacted" by the PTB [apparently because showing the existence of "private" forums is not allowed(?)].)

--

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
I belong to some "private" forums here, but I have never seen them listed like you show. I suppose you see that because you use "favorite" forums?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

mod_wastrel
iamwhatiam

Depends on what you mean by "like [I] show". The list itself is just the typical way it displays on that page (meaning the same way anyone else would see their own list). However, I do mod it some: adding the green border and gradient background, making the post times always display, and keeping the list always "open" (instead of "closed" such that you have to click on the icon/link (which I also mod) to see the list--I like it "open" so I don't have to click on it). Other than that, the list is the [same old] list. (BTW, it's just the postlist page: »/postlist )
--

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
Click for full size
My postlist page (which is my home page) doesn't look anything like yours (and not because I use a different theme here from your theme).

I don't have "favorite" forums because I have none listed as favorite. I always thought that redundant...too much redundancy at this site IMO. I use "postlist/all" and obviously that will reflect my favorite forums so why would I need a separate list of favorite forums?

My postlist/all page just shows a page of the most recent threads I have posted in. It doesn't show anything about "private" forums I belong to. But there is a "private" forum listed on the first page of postlist/all. If I post a screenshot here of my postlist/all page will that be redacted by the mods since a private forum is showing?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

mod_wastrel
iamwhatiam

4 edits
The real reason for the favorite forums [IMO] is the favorite forums page, »/forums/fav, which looks like this for me:

Your favorite forums (on the postlist page) would simply display beneath your postlist (whichever tab you use--updated followed, updated posted, or all), if you have any, and private forums beneath that.

And now for something completely a little more different:

The button colors I just added (don't know if I like it yet, but I do like color cues--OK, yep, I like it [code is below if you want to use it]). I guess you might say it's "color rich" (too much? :D ).

/* BBR: colorize buttons 
   (doesn't affect the 'reply' image link in the tree-style [text] view 
    [because it's not actually a "button"])
 */
@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);
@-moz-document domain("dslreports.com") 
/*s*/{
input[type="button"] ,
form input[type="SUBMIT"]
{ -moz-appearance:  none  !important;
  border-radius:  3px  !important;
  cursor:  pointer  !important;
  background-color:  gold  !important;
  background-image:  -moz-linear-gradient(top,rgba(0,0,0,0),rgba(0,0,0,0.3))  !important;
  }
form input[type="SUBMIT"][value="New Topic"]
{ background-color:  #7ff  !important;
  }
form input[type="SUBMIT"][value="Rules"]
{ background-color:  #af6  !important;
  }
/*e*/}

--

mod_wastrel
iamwhatiam

reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

If I post a screenshot here of my postlist/all page will that be redacted by the mods since a private forum is showing?

I presume so, but that being the case, maybe they should go back through the FAQs and remove all references to them there as well. (I guess I don't really see any reason for their concern about "hiding" them.)
--

fourboxers
Co-Lead Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20
Even from the postlist all page you should have the private forums, check right down at the bottom of the page, there should be a + in a green circle with private forums beside it, click it.