share rss forum feed

Sarentack

join:2008-02-07
Lumberton, MS
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to jcremin

Re: 3g service on a desktop?

Virgin Mobile seems to be a highly popular data service around here, I found this

»www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-b···760.html

They add $20 to an account upon buying this.

So first month of the good plan I guess is $30, I think it might just be a little more feasible than 768k AT&T DSL which would be shared by 2-3 people through router, the Virgin Mobile would probably only be used by me on my computer.

But is it good for gaming ping wise?

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..
reply to jcremin

In my county, Verizon DSL is not only limited in area, it is also a very slow connection. The WISP I use is far superior to Verizon DSL or any other net connection

If you are lucky enough to have a well run WISP , go for it.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1
reply to Sarentack

Virgin mobile uses the Sprint network, has weird routing and unstable ping times. Not to mention they block ports.

Expand your moderator at work

whitfb

join:1999-12-01
reply to Maniak

Re: 3g service on a desktop?

If you can get Sprint "4G", which is currently Clearwire WiMAX, Clearwire sells that directly for desktop and travel computer use as clear.com. They advertise that as fixed-rate and without caps. I have no experience with clear.com, but for the places I go Sprint's 3G/4G service works well enough (which I get through Ting, whose rate structure and customer support I like much better than Sprint's - but it's not unlimited, Ting charges by usage, although nothing extra to tether, and might be economical if you're not moving huge amounts of data.)