The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to david82

Re: Replacing Power Adapter with Linear Supply Fixes Noise!

It sounds as if your home telephone wiring is either not twisted pair, or you have it accidentally wired with split pairs, or there was a short between one wire on two circuits, or possibly a short to ground on one wire. Balanced twisted pair wiring should have canceled out any noise between circuits, or any external noise.

However, the cleaner power supply seems to have fixed your symptom (and it may have been cheaper than fixing the wiring).
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

david82

@rr.com

said by NetFixer:

It sounds as if your home telephone wiring is either not twisted pair, or you have it accidentally wired with split pairs, or there was a short between one wire on two circuits, or possibly a short to ground on one wire. Balanced twisted pair wiring should have canceled out any noise between circuits, or any external noise.

However, the cleaner power supply seems to have fixed your symptom (and it may have been cheaper than fixing the wiring).

I don't know. The house wiring is all CAT6 and as part of trying to fix this noise issue I actually did replace all of the terminations, so pretty sure everything is properly wired.

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by david82 :

I don't know. The house wiring is all CAT6 and as part of trying to fix this noise issue I actually did replace all of the terminations, so pretty sure everything is properly wired.

That would certainly seem to rule out wiring then. Typically, external noise pickup or crosstalk is caused by wiring, and a noisy power supply would be more likely to effect the phone that it powered than a phone on another line.

I have seen cases where a flaky multi-line phone would cause crosstalk and noise sensitivity similar to the symptoms of wiring problems.

However, since your new power supply has fixed the noise problem, hopefully, that will be the end of it.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower