share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:6

This is contradictory

Click for full size
Is this part of the ongoing bug surrounding giving thumbs for anon posts? Or is this somehow intended? (At least Karl CAN give thumbs to anon posters. I haven't been able to do that for about two years now).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

state
stress magnet
Serf
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory
Doesn't look we can blame your browser for this one, easy to reproduce:

Perhaps the approval and no approval are supposed to negate each other? Dunno. But I see it too.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Well, this could not be my browser since I am one those here who cannot give thumbs to anon posters. Plus, I cannot give them on ANY browser. Yes, I use an older version of Fx (soon to be upgraded to the new Enterprise version), but I ALSO use the LATEST SeaMonkey, Opera and Iron browsers and I cannot give thumbs to anon users on ANY of those browsers for a couple of years now. So, NONE of these problems surrounding thumbs for anon posters are due to my browsers.

It would really be nice to see the various problems surrounding thumbs for anon posters fixed. I miss not being able to give thumbs up to anon posters.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

mod_wastrel
anonome

join:2008-03-28
kudos:1
reply to state
Just wondering... what displays as "approval" now used to be called "thumbs up" and what displays as "thumbs down" is initiated now by a "no approval"... from reviewing the FAQ, what exactly happens with that "voting down" process? anything? (can't say that I've ever used 'thumbs down'/'no approval' -- never noticed anything beyond the image/text that gets displayed, but I've seen other forums which give numerical values and/or [semi]hide a post/comment that other posters disapprove).

(Why both here? ...maybe the site's s/w was feeling ambivalent when generating the page? )
--
"Sorry for not responding to your post, but either I haven't seen it yet, or what you said was so devoid of substance that I found it utterly uninteresting."

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21
said by mod_wastrel:

Just wondering... what displays as "approval" now used to be called "thumbs up" and what displays as "thumbs down" is initiated now by a "no approval"... from reviewing the FAQ, what exactly happens with that "voting down" process? anything? (can't say that I've ever used 'thumbs down'/'no approval' -- never noticed anything beyond the image/text that gets displayed, but I've seen other forums which give numerical values and/or [semi]hide a post/comment that other posters disapprove).

(Why both here? ...maybe the site's s/w was feeling ambivalent when generating the page? )

Hard to tell what you're asking. The thumbs up doesn't do anything except give a poster a bit of satisfaction. In the past they were public (as they are on anon posts) and I believe there was a weekly top-10 users or something at /forums.

If you're wondering why "thumbs up" changed to "approval", it's because some people got way too concerned with the kind of message they were sending by clicking "thumbs up". "I like this post but I don't like it like that" type stuff.
--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

mod_wastrel
anonome

join:2008-03-28
kudos:1
I was just wondering if the forum s/w actually did anything beyond display the list of "thumbs down" [because the FAQ made reference to a post being "voted down"]. As far as the change goes, I think it's mostly "sideways" (6 of one...); the thumbs, however, are rather more visual (which is why I put 'em back with CSS )... there is a little inconsistency there though.
--
"Sorry for not responding to your post, but either I haven't seen it yet, or what you said was so devoid of substance that I found it utterly uninteresting."