The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

[TV] Florida TiVo & Cable Card Users Tuning Adapter Update

Tampa and Central Florida TiVo and cable card users should be aware that over the next week or so we will be updating your Cisco Tuning Adapters to version 1.0.0-1501 firmware.

As you know, Cisco Tuning Adapters are CPE devices that allow certain consumer (UDCP) devices (TiVo, Moxi, ATI/AMD, Ceton, SiliconDust, etc) to access SDV channels.

During the upgrade process, the Tuning Adapter will reboot and download code. The duration of the upgrade is roughly 15 minutes, and SDV channels will not be available on the UDCP device while the upgrade is in progress. Following the upgrade, service will normally recover automatically; however, it is important to note that a manual reboot of the UDCP and/or tuning adapter may be required in a small number of cases.

The upgrade schedule is as follows:

Tampa: February 16th
Central Florida: February 23rd

This upgrade has already been completed in Bakersfield, Birmingham and Indianapolis systems.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

3 edits

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

The actual Firmware is listed slightly incorrect, It should be as follows:

From Old: FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1402 - 05/27/11
and Image File Version: 1.0.0.1402

To New: FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1501
and Image File Version: 1.0.0.1501
breynolds
join:2012-02-15
Melbourne, FL

breynolds to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Thanks for the info. I got nowhere when I contacted BHN's customer support a couple of weeks ago. They had no idea what I was talking about when I asked them when/if the new firmware would be downloaded to my TA.

I just signed up on this site... and I "followed" BHNtechXpert. I don't know if that means that I will get an e-mail each time he posts, but I hope so... I can't find any settings for that on this site.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by breynolds:

Thanks for the info. I got nowhere when I contacted BHN's customer support a couple of weeks ago. They had no idea what I was talking about when I asked them when/if the new firmware would be downloaded to my TA.

I just signed up on this site... and I "followed" BHNtechXpert. I don't know if that means that I will get an e-mail each time he posts, but I hope so... I can't find any settings for that on this site.

Generally speaking such announcements are not made prior to unless there is the possibility of it impacting service. You TiVO and cable card folks are bit different because of the technology involved and that's why we gave you a heads up early. So don't hate on the rep Just understand that your question was way beyond that of a normal interaction and a rep could work for years on the phone and never get that question But since you brought it up I will have the information added to our knowledge base to avoid future confusion on the issue.

You are free to follow me here or any of the other communities I serve and I will keep you up to date as needed.
breynolds
Melbourne, FL

1 edit

breynolds

Thanks very much for the info and I appreciate that there is a place like this where I can get information from someone with knowledge.

This is a little off-topic, but many of us HTPC hobbyists believe that CableCARD would have a higher rate of adoption if the customer support reps were better trained to deal with them. And this goes all the way to the folks at the head end who setup the accounts for CC's and TA's (the folks that the service techs need to call to get it setup)... and the service techs who come to the house to install the stuff. I've read many reports of people who have had a terrible time getting everything setup and working correctly because the folks from the cable co (all cable co's, not just BHN) didn't know how to set it up properly.

I had a terrible time back in March 2011 convincing the people on the phone that it was OK to install a CableCARD and TA on a Windows 7 PC. I spent two hours on the phone and spoke with 5 different people before they agreed to send a tech to install it. And even then, they told me that if it didn't work they couldn't support it. Thankfully, the guy who showed up at my house had done it before and he knew exactly what he was doing. From what I've read though, my tech was rare. I was just lucky because his boss already had a Ceton InfiniTV installed in his computer.

One interesting thing to note also, is that the service tech had to walk the person on the other end of the phone through the steps to set it up correctly. He knew both ends of the setup... and the person he was speaking to had no clue how to do it.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Tampa was completed last night.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Just an update I think this went well for most folks. It did require a couple of reboots with my TA but finally everything kicked in nicely...let me know if you are having any problems.

AMejia1976
join:2000-07-29
Kissimmee, FL

AMejia1976

What abt Central Fl?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

You didn't see the dates above?
breynolds
Melbourne, FL

breynolds

said by BHNtechXpert:

You didn't see the dates above?

Yes, it says Feb 23rd. It is now Feb 24th and I still don't have the new firmware. When can I expect it in Central Florida ZIP 32935?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

You should already have it Reboot the device
breynolds
Melbourne, FL

breynolds

said by BHNtechXpert:

You should already have it Reboot the device

I just did. It did not load new firmware. Now, just to be clear, I rebooted it by unplugging the power cable, waiting 10 seconds, and plugging it back in. In about 2 minutes, the LED was on solid again. I also tried turning it off/on with the power button on the front. No joy.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

I did some digging and the update for you CFL folks apparently was delayed until the 8th of March.
breynolds
Melbourne, FL

breynolds

I just read in the Windows Experts Community forum on Media Center that there is a new firmware from Cisco ending with 1601, created on Jan 31st 2012. Any chance we might get this without waiting several months? Here's the link to the forum post:
»experts.windows.com/frms ··· x#550590

Supposedly, this one fixes a bug where the TA will tell Media Center (or the TiVo box) that the channel is not available, even when it really is available.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Actually the one we're going to push out on the 8th should fix that issue based on the release notes I have UNLESS another has cropped up (not uncommon).
breynolds
Melbourne, FL

breynolds

Do you have a link where I can read the release notes for these two versions?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Honestly that will take some digging. I had my notes from the current release for the 8th but for some reason they have escaped my inbox. I'll see what I can dig up.
breynolds
Melbourne, FL

breynolds

Thanks.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

BTW you will get your update tonight after midnight
breynolds
Melbourne, FL

breynolds

Yep, 1501 is installed now.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Working ok?
breynolds
Melbourne, FL

breynolds

Yes, thanks.
breynolds

breynolds to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
OK, Mr. Expert, I turned in my 2nd Tuning Adapter to a BHN walk-in store last month... and I'm still being billed for two of them. I'm on the phone with BHN right now. I gotta tell you, every time I call or visit it's a big pain in the butt. You see, my Internet service is on a business account. My employer pays it directly. My TV service is on a residential account. So every time I call, it's a big problem and takes forever. Nobody ever seems to know how to help me, and they transfer me around in a seemingly endless loop.

The lady at the store had a problem when she tried to log into her computer the fact that I was returning my TA. She told me that she would need to have someone else fix it because I have a "business" account. Apparently, nobody ever logged my TA as returned... and I've lost my receipt. I'm not a happy camper.

To be fair, my cell service used to be with AT&T, and since I got a discount through my employer, I was on a "business" account with them too. Same deal, every time I called, it was a big hassle. I switched to Sprint, on a residential cellular account... and service is just fine now. You'd think that companies would treat their business customers BETTER than their residential customers, wouldn't you?

Well, hopefully, they can get the problem fixed on the phone. I've been on the phone for about 30 minutes so far. It usually takes at least an hour for anything I want to change.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Please open a direct fourms thread and I will get it taken care of.
breynolds
Melbourne, FL

breynolds

I'll hold off on that for now. I just spent about 40 minutes on the phone and the lady told me she would need to call me back. I don't want to get two people working on it at the same time. That would just cause confusion.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

No problem....
breynolds
Melbourne, FL

breynolds

I did get a call yesterday, but it only rang once. I answered it immediately, but somehow it went to voice mail. A lady named Annette left a message saying that she could not fix the problem, but that she had left a message for someone in the "corporate department" and that "property solutions" would need to fix my account.

I'll open that direct forum thread, just so you can check to see that it was really done. I suppose, now that TA's are going to be free, it won't matter much, but I don't want my account to show that I have two TA's. You never know when I might move or cancel my BHN service... and I wouldn't want to have to pay for a TA that I've already returned.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Barn and this goes for everyone else....and I can't stress this enough. You folks need to keep those receipts always...scan them and put them away...just in case. Send it over to me and I'll do my best to track this down.
breynolds
Melbourne, FL

breynolds

Apparently, they can see in the computer that I returned the TA... it's just that my billing didn't get updated. Since my internet and TV are split up on two different accounts, they always seem to have trouble making changes to my account.

To be honest, I regret that my employer ever did this with my Internet account. They used to just reimburse me for the cost of the internet service, so I actually made a few bucks every month due to the bundle discount. But our Accounts Payable lady didn't want to deal with my monthly expense reports.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Then this needs to get fixed and why the person "Annette" couldn't do that escapes me. Send it all over to me (be detailed) in the direct thread and this will be taken care of...once again sorry for the frustration.