All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop

More visibility for Ad-hoc forums needed

This is a wonderful list that needs far more exposure than it will ever get in it's current state. I'm a regular on these forums and I did not know of it's existance until someone literally drew me a picture.

»[request] Better exposure for Canadian Ad-hoc listings

There is a nice vacant spot in the Canadian section (right under telus)
Dunlop

Dunlop

dayum, 42 views an nobody agrees?

There goes my plans on being a politician with my uncanny ability to read the people

was me
@videotron.ca

was me to Dunlop

Anon

to Dunlop
said by Dunlop:

I'm a regular on these forums and I did not know of it's existance until someone literally drew me a picture.

That's because you haven't explored the forum to see what's kicking around in the nooks and crannies. In other words, I had to literally draw you a picture because you are too damned lazy to look!

Now on with the lazy jokes about you:

You are so lazy, you got a remote control just to operate your remote.

You are so lazy, you stuck your nose out the window and let the wind blow it!

Don't make me draw you another picture....

JoePro
join:2006-11-01
canada

2 edits

JoePro to Dunlop

to Dunlop
I agree with the OP.

EDIT:
Along the same line, what's the big deal with turning the Ebox forum into a fully-fledged one? Most people still don't know it exists and it has picked up some steam lately. It would be a great fit for the available spot in the canadian section.
grunze510
join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

grunze510

That's not what the OP is asking. He's saying that they should put a link to the member submitted list of adhoc forums in the empty space on this page. »Canadian

EDIT: But Ebox getting its own forum would be cool. Quite a few people are using the adhoc one now.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to Dunlop

Premium Member

to Dunlop
Actually, since the overhaul of dslr, the only reason I could recently refer to the ebox forum was the fact I had history posting there a looong time ago.
I still cannot find those alphabetically listed ISP's from the forums page, and when I click the 'parent' link from ebox, I get thrown back to the forums, and not "ISP's from A-Z", or "A-K" or whatever it is.

shrug
@videotron.ca

shrug

Anon

said by EUS:

A-Z

Yes. In regards to the A-Z, that is all frigged up now. New people like Dunlop probably never saw it, so they don't know what exists and where. But some determined site searching still brings up the forums.

The A-Z was better than the new Ad-hoc thing.

But then again. It's not like Ebox has a lot of topics going on. It averaged 2.1 topics for the past week, and that is a new high due to the kids wanting to generate links to show it's a "busy" forum. But one can easily see that this isn't the case at all. It's pretty much dead.

Besides, it gets full exposure here, in the TSI forum, and in the videotron forum.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

There's no reason that A-Z support cannot be linked somewhere, I still can't find it.
And of course if A-Z is not visible from the main forums listing, well I do not expect traffic to pick up for any of them.
EUS

EUS to Dunlop

Premium Member

to Dunlop
I agree, done.

JoePro
canada

1 edit

JoePro to shrug

to shrug
said by shrug :

But then again. It's not like Ebox has a lot of topics going on. It averaged 2.1 topics for the past week, and that is a new high due to the kids wanting to generate links to show it's a "busy" forum. But one can easily see that this isn't the case at all. It's pretty much dead.

Besides, it gets full exposure here, in the TSI forum, and in the videotron forum.

Well, do you think it's normal that Ebox has more exposure in two other forums (competitors nonetheless) than in its own? This wouldn't be the case if it had a fully-fledged forum. And the forum is not as dead as you make it out to be.

I still don't understand why so many people are opposed to this. Jealous much? meh.

vitesse
join:2002-12-17
Saint-Philippe, QC

vitesse to Dunlop

to Dunlop
We definitively need more exposure for some Canadian ISP forum.

it cost nothing to give more visibility to more ISP. So I would expect everyone would be ok with that. You can't generate traffic if no one can find you.

The best solution would be to show the top 10 most active forums (Canadian chat + 9 forums). But it would imply probably work and modification for DSRL owner, witch is not good. But maybe we could see this in the future.

JoePro
canada

JoePro to Dunlop

to Dunlop
And I just wanted to add the following:

There are currently 5 topics being discussed in the Ebox forum, and 6 in the Bell forum.

Should the Bell forum lose it's fully-fledged forum status?

shrug
@videotron.ca

shrug to Dunlop

Anon

to Dunlop
Anyhow, all this has already been discussed here: »[request] Request for a new forum and a new topic was created in the Forum Feature Requests.

Not much is going to be accomplished with this topic or in this forum.
Dunlop

1 edit

Dunlop

said by shrug :

Anyhow, all this has already been discussed here: »[request] Request for a new forum and a new topic was created in the Forum Feature Requests.

Not much is going to be accomplished with this topic or in this forum.

That particular topic ignited all kinds of drama, while I would love Ebox to have it's own forum as I am a sub what I was asking for was more visibility for all the IISP's (hence no drama).

So new people to the site will be able to easily find their ISP and be able to contribute or ask questions for that particular community.

As it stands the posts in the Adhoc forums will be mostly by the regulars who know how to find it

With the situation in Canada there will be no new major player in the next few years. Is there a particular reason we would want to keep that empty box under Telus vacant as opposed to making it useful to people?

state
stress magnet
Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

state to EUS

Mod

to EUS
said by EUS:

I still cannot find those alphabetically listed ISP's from the forums page, and when I click the 'parent' link from ebox, I get thrown back to the forums, and not "ISP's from A-Z", or "A-K" or whatever it is.

It's the rolodex, here's a link to it: »/isplist/0
On that page, besides clicking on the first letter of the ISP, you can also click on country flags to narrow down the results.

If you have room in your minibar, you can add it there for quick reference. Quite helpful at times.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by state:

It's the rolodex, here's a link to it: »/isplist/0
On that page, besides clicking on the first letter of the ISP, you can also click on country flags to narrow down the results.

If you have room in your minibar, you can add it there for quick reference. Quite helpful at times.

Indeed.

To ME, the problem at hand seems to be that some of the folks posting in the current thread must have missed some of what happened last week, as we DID move pretty quickly, from proposal thru to implementation.

FOLKS, to Recap :

In the CBB forum's header, there is a new line of text, generously added by State, our Moderator, who helped facilitate the recent improvements.

This is located not far above the TOPIC BAR.

In that line are TWO LINKS : One goes to the FULL ROLODEX, and the other to the new SHORTLIST of some of the AD-HOC forums.

EASY to find.

TWO CLICKS and yer IN ! (to eBox or whatever forum there)

If we USE any of the AD-HOC forums enough, they will eventually get promoted to full status, but not just because some of us bellyache out HERE.

Please put horse in FRONT of cart.

IOW, start to USE the new forum(s) !

(BTW, FYI, the full rolodex is missing just a few ISPs who ARE on the shorter list, due to some anomaly of the DSLR software.)
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Here is last week's thread :

»Forums (Ad-Hoc) for more Canadian ISPs
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

What would be nice is if users could elect to have the hot topics limited to canadian ones. This way, as discussions disperse between more and more forums, we could still see hot topics that are no longer in can broadband.
Dunlop

Dunlop to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
quote:
If we USE any of the AD-HOC forums enough, they will eventually get promoted to full status, but not just because some of us bellyache out HERE.
It's kinda of a chicken and egg deal, if the list is not easy enough to locate then thee will not be enough traffic.

I'm not trying to bellyache about anything, I think the list is great and the point of my request was to give it more exposure. It should be easily apparent to a new user how to locate the forum of their specific ISP.

I think Slate mentioned that it would not be possible to put the list at that level any ways so the topic is moot

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS to state

Premium Member

to state
Thanks for the reply, how would I go about adding »Ebox to my favorite forum list?
*Edit*
Doesn't look like I can, but after all these years I just figured out what the minibar is for and how to use it.

state
stress magnet
Mod
Purgatory

state

Mod

said by EUS:

Thanks for the reply, how would I go about adding »Ebox to my favorite forum list?

Clicking this link will add it to your favorite forums. With ad-hoc boards, you need to do URL manipulation to accomplish this.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Thank you!

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to Dunlop

Premium Member

to Dunlop
said by Dunlop:

quote:

....I think State mentioned that it would not be possible to put the list at that level any ways so the topic is moot

What's so bad about where the links are now ?

It's a vast improvement over how things were 2 weeks ago - NO LIST and NO LINKS.

We already habitually look for eBox in the CBB forum, and that's where the new links are, as I posted several times, between this thread and others.

Have you actually tried the ones which I mentioned ? (not the one which first goes thru the FAQ, as it requires 3 clicks AND a scroll, but instead the CBB header links, which only need 2 clicks and NO scroll)
Dunlop

Dunlop

quote:
We already habitually look for eBox in the CBB forum, and that's where the new links are, as I posted several times, between this thread and others
we do...yes and it is a vast improvement but the posts will continue to be by us regulars.

The point of my request is for new users to this forum, so they can easily navigate to that nice list that was created and then actually generate traffic.

There is a vacant spot under Telus just asking for something to be placed there, this request was to be "fair" as all iisp's would be listed and not turn into the mudslinging of the ebox request.

state
stress magnet
Mod
Purgatory

state

Mod

said by Dunlop:

There is a vacant spot under Telus just asking for something to be placed there, this request was to be "fair" as all iisp's would be listed and not turn into the mudslinging of the ebox request.

I've made inquiries to our coding deity. This may or may not be feasible at this time, there are many areas on the site that need attention, and depending on the amount of time and work required to fulfill this request, it may be bumped down in the priority queue.

Just to be clear (this is not aimed specifically towards you) adding the link, simple as it may seem, is a technical obstacle, not a political one. Because of the way that the site generates forum listings, it may prove cumbersome to add the code at this time.
Dunlop

Dunlop

; ) no worries, I'm not old enough on this site to be familiar with whatever happened on the ebox request

thanks for the info!
jp_zer0
join:2009-07-27
Gatineau, QC

2 edits

jp_zer0 to Dunlop

to Dunlop
**broken post see Edits**

You put that:

ELECTRONICBOX

at the bottom of the code page:

*here* (without asterisk, it comes up after the videotron stuff. You put it in between cogeco and rogers if you wanna keep the alphabetical order. Only problem is that it doesn't show thread previews because I don't really know what I'm doing.)

EDIT* The hell happened to my code lol? is this forum html enabled or something?

EDIT 2* here's an image so the forum doesn't eat my code:

»i.imgur.com/6Qkpo.jpg

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to Dunlop

Premium Member

to Dunlop
said by Dunlop:

quote:
We already habitually look for eBox in the CBB forum, and that's where the new links are, as I posted several times, between this thread and others
we do...yes and it is a vast improvement but the posts will continue to be by us regulars.

The point of my request is for new users to this forum, so they can easily navigate to that nice list that was created and then actually generate traffic....

Fair enough.

One OTHER way to tackle this at least temporarily would be for DiskAce to send out an eMail broadcast to ALL of their subscribers, explaining that the 'new' forum exists, how to manually get there, and why they should bother, such as to read announcements and to get assistance from eBox.

For new signups, this could become part of the enrollment ritual.

He could even provide a LINK. »Ebox

How's THAT for late-night thinking ?
Dunlop

Dunlop

quote:
One OTHER way to tackle this at least temporarily would be for DiskAce to send out an eMail broadcast to ALL of their subscribers, explaining that the 'new' forum exists, how to manually get there, and why they should bother, such as to read announcements and to get assistance from eBox.
get out of my head! :P

My next annoying suggestion to Ebox was going to be to create an simple FAQ file that is e-mailed to new users

-what to expect on install day
-Vl Number. how to get one and how to check usage
-How to setup e-mail accounts
-DSLReport forum

I'm loving Ebox but my only correspondence has been an invoice, until I went on their site and requested a VL umber and then I received one with no instructions what to do with it.

Problem for me?No, but if you are going to attract a more mainstream crowd a little more hand holding is needed or you will be tying up your phone lines with these simple questions

SHY
0x27
Premium Member
join:2010-06-21

SHY

Premium Member

said by Dunlop:

My next annoying suggestion to Ebox was going to be to create an simple FAQ file that is e-mailed to new users

-what to expect on install day
-Vl Number. how to get one and how to check usage
-How to setup e-mail accounts
-DSLReport forum

I'm loving Ebox but my only correspondence has been an invoice, until I went on their site and requested a VL umber and then I received one with no instructions what to do with it.

Problem for me?No, but if you are going to attract a more mainstream crowd a little more hand holding is needed or you will be tying up your phone lines with these simple questions

So why don't you start posting these suggestions on the proper forum,»Ebox instead of lengthening these threads on this forum? Just make a new topic.