Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

neftv

join:2000-10-01
Broomall, PA

1 recommendation

Third party Wireless providers like StraightTalk

I was wondering I have a Nokia 5800 using AT&T. I am on the non-smart phone unlimited data plan ($15).
I been reading people thinking of switching to StraightTalk for $45 for voice/txt/data so I am wondering what is the catch with StraightTalk? If I switched I would save about $15 a month if I did the 3 month pre-paid deal.
What is the catch with StraightTalk? I notice that I can get a simm card and would this work on my 5800? Can I listen to radio stations on StraightTalk network or is data only getting web pages? Can you watch Netflix on via StraightTalk say later down the road I got an unlocked Windows Phone?
Is it worth it to consider StraightTalk or the likes of Boost Mobile or Metro?

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium
join:2002-12-05
Blackwood, NJ

straight talk, metro, and boost (i believe) all use Sprint's network. Sprint's network sucks badly if you dont have 4G. also those companies generally throttle your data on top of that, or have low thresholds where the throttle you above, making the data almost worthless with normal use.

Data plans are open internet. Anything you can do on the internet you can do with that connection, you just need a phone or computer good enough to utilize it.

just the thought of netflix on straight talk or metro or boost makes me shiver, and any thought of a nokia phone makes me cringe.

neftv

Broomall, PA

I don't think you have looked at StraightTalk or Net10 web site. You can get a simm card for any GSM phone and utliize which ever network the phone will work on (AT&T or TMobile) depending on the phone for a flat monthly rate. I guess there is not enough people using StraightTalk with the Simm card service on here to answer my questions.
The purpose of my question is how much unlimited data is unlimited data on that specific service that StraightTalk and NET10 offering with simm card flat rate? Regardless of what is being used (YouTube, Radio stations, Netflix, etc)
I don't know what makes you cringe with Nokia Phone but my 5800 been the best phone I had so far. My only issues with it is the screen size now and that I can't get video services on it other than what is available with YouTube app.
Having a 3 HTC Titan's in 30 days in my hands may have spoiled me somewhat although that particular phone disappointed me 3 times when I had to exchanged multiple times because each one had a random reboot/power cycle issue. So I reversed my upgrade and went back to my 5800. I have to say that HTC phones must have a quality control issue because they don't check them. Besides the random power cycling the call voice quality was poor. My Nokia 5800 sounded alot better than the Titan in both directions.

btB

@rr.com

Them selling sim cards only started about 2 weeks ago. Hence, nobody knows exactly what the data limits are as Net10 & Straight Talk do not give the any exact number.

Previously when people sim-swapped, users said try to keep it at 100mb per day or 2gb per month. On the other hand, that was too prevent Straight Talk from knowing they sim-swapped. Also, Straight Talk was using the word "data" in their terms of service. Now, they are using "web". Who knows if the wording change means anything, but you could interpret that as saying they want you to use your phone for web browsing only.

I think you might even be taking a risk if you continuously stream audio. My guess is that there is a good chance of them cancelling your account if you are constantly streaming video such as Netflix.

x_zao_x

join:2004-06-27
New Martinsville, WV
reply to Somnambul33t

said by Somnambul33t:

straight talk, metro, and boost (i believe) all use Sprint's network. Sprint's network sucks badly if you dont have 4G. also those companies generally throttle your data on top of that, or have low thresholds where the throttle you above, making the data almost worthless with normal use.

Data plans are open internet. Anything you can do on the internet you can do with that connection, you just need a phone or computer good enough to utilize it.

just the thought of netflix on straight talk or metro or boost makes me shiver, and any thought of a nokia phone makes me cringe.

straight talk in the ohio valley (new martinsville, wv) area uses the Verizon towers
--
Committment To Excellence

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
reply to btB

They can tell what phone your using. All the providers can, right to the exact model. Not hard for them.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
join:2001-08-02
Michigan City, IN
reply to x_zao_x

said by x_zao_x:

said by Somnambul33t:

straight talk in the ohio valley (new martinsville, wv) area uses the Verizon towers

Straight Talk uses, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T pending on what phone you get.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
join:2001-08-02
Michigan City, IN
reply to btB

said by btB :

Them selling sim cards only started about 2 weeks ago. Hence, nobody knows exactly what the data limits are as Net10 & Straight Talk do not give the any exact number.

Previously when people sim-swapped, users said try to keep it at 100mb per day or 2gb per month. On the other hand, that was too prevent Straight Talk from knowing they sim-swapped. Also, Straight Talk was using the word "data" in their terms of service. Now, they are using "web". Who knows if the wording change means anything, but you could interpret that as saying they want you to use your phone for web browsing only.

I think you might even be taking a risk if you continuously stream audio. My guess is that there is a good chance of them cancelling your account if you are constantly streaming video such as Netflix.

This pretty much sums it up..Although the 2GB monthly cap was on an AT&T powered phone..I couldn't say what Sprint or T-Mobile has.

Verizon doesn't allow smartphones to be used on Straight Talk so they don't count. Straight Talk has a Android smartphone powered by Sprint that they sell on ST's website.

The 2GB cap was just a warning from users that seemed like that's when ST would give them shit and possibly a blacklisted SIM..this was using AT&T though..not sure what kind of bandwidth caps there are on T-Mobile or Sprint like I've said.

If you look at »www.howardforums.com/forumdispla···ght-Talk

You'll see people talking about it more.

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium
Blackwood, NJ
reply to neftv

being able to use ATT phones without being under contract with them would be nice. How is the service? Is it really dependent locally on which towers they have contracted? Why would Verizon lease them bandwidth if they don't even support their phones?

And finally, do they support LTE? 3G isnt even worth my time at this point

mastermind278
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Clementon, NJ

I have been on Straight Talk for over a year now as I did the E71 SIM Swap.

The service is exactly like having ATT. Now that you can get the SIM without doing the SIM swap it is much more desirable. At $45 a month it is a great deal. It is recommend to keep under 2GB a month to not having any issues.

They do support 3G/4G "HSPA+", however you will not get LTE. On my Motorola Atrix I am getting speeds of around 5000kbps/2000kbps, which isn't too bad for ATT.

You mention Verizon, at the moment Straight Talk doesn't have any smartphones on Verizon. If you look at their phones that end in C they are on Verizon, except the Android ones they sell as those are on Sprint. So in other words, Verizon isn't really sharing their bandwidth since at most you can only get a feature phone.

Of course they also sell the SIM for T-Mobile, which also allows you to use their '4g'.

Overall, I really don't mind Straight Talk. Just remember customer service is no good (what do you expect with such a low price), but if you call the corporate number or use Facebook to contact them at least you get a comptent answer!
--
Mastermind 4 Life ® ™ ©

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium
Blackwood, NJ

said by mastermind278:

I have been on Straight Talk for over a year now as I did the E71 SIM Swap.

The service is exactly like having ATT. Now that you can get the SIM without doing the SIM swap it is much more desirable. At $45 a month it is a great deal. It is recommend to keep under 2GB a month to not having any issues.

They do support 3G/4G "HSPA+", however you will not get LTE. On my Motorola Atrix I am getting speeds of around 5000kbps/2000kbps, which isn't too bad for ATT.

You mention Verizon, at the moment Straight Talk doesn't have any smartphones on Verizon. If you look at their phones that end in C they are on Verizon, except the Android ones they sell as those are on Sprint. So in other words, Verizon isn't really sharing their bandwidth since at most you can only get a feature phone.

Of course they also sell the SIM for T-Mobile, which also allows you to use their '4g'.

Overall, I really don't mind Straight Talk. Just remember customer service is no good (what do you expect with such a low price), but if you call the corporate number or use Facebook to contact them at least you get a comptent answer!

wow how do they do this? I assume they have contracts with the providers, but those prices are crazy. too bad i just signed up for a new 2 year contract last just over a month ago or i'd consider this. Saving $35/mo might be worth losing my grandfathered unlimited data w/ VZW but not for a $350 ETF and still having to buy a compatible phone.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
reply to neftv

Straight talk has some sort of invisible cap. Beware!
»www.howardforums.com/showthread.···it/page6

mastermind278
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Clementon, NJ

That was with the SIM Swap method (which is against the TOS). I consistently use just under 2GB each month and have never had any data issues.
--
Mastermind 4 Life ® ™ ©

neftv

Broomall, PA
reply to djdanska

said by djdanska:

Straight talk has some sort of invisible cap. Beware!
»www.howardforums.com/showthread.···it/page6

With some careful Wifi setup with most phones and many people having Wifi at home and work and other places it should all be good. Atleast it's worked for me.

inteller
Sociopaths always win.

join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK
reply to neftv

I'm trying out ST right now....I'm on the bring your own phone SIM plan. I got the sim and bought a month of unlimited just to try. What I have noticed so far:

Data connection is very erratic. I have a Samsung Focus and the Messaging Hub often times won't connect. When data is connected the speeds are about the same as ATT (slow).
--
"WHEN THE LAUGH TRACK STARTS THEN THE FUN STARTS!"

neftv

Broomall, PA

Strange I have the same service for my Nokia 5800 and I not noticing any difference in service or speed from before.
I had to set up all the APN and configuration information that is in the Green booklet they send you on my phone as it does not pick up the setting automatically like it when I had AT&T.

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to inteller

said by inteller:

I'm trying out ST right now....I'm on the bring your own phone SIM plan. I got the sim and bought a month of unlimited just to try. What I have noticed so far:

Data connection is very erratic. I have a Samsung Focus and the Messaging Hub often times won't connect. When data is connected the speeds are about the same as ATT (slow).

AT&T or T-Mobile SIM?
--
Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Islamic religion?

Sothh

@mecc.edu
reply to btB

Well, I used about 40 gig in 20 days and got my sim card killed. Its still worth the price of a new one, but they should not be selling this as unlimited.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

unlimited does NOT mean 40gigs. It's a cell phone meant for that data, NOT tethering, etc.

alrandolph

join:2004-07-11
Jersey City, NJ
reply to neftv

I switched to ST from H2O for faster data speeds, I can now watch Netflix, stream Youtube, without any issues, couldn't be more pleased.

You can also look at Jolt, Redpocket as well.

neftv

Broomall, PA

I would go easy on streaming video. If you have wifi use that first. I been reading that on the AT&T compatible sim on StraightTalk there is a flag around 2 gig a month. It is not known yet what the limitation is on the TMobile compatible sim. I think you will get warned based on what I read but who knows. I hate to take that chance myself in them shutting down my account or losing my credit reserve.
I ended up getting a Dell Venue pro unlocked for TMobile. So I purchased the TMobile Compatible Sim from StraightTalk. I do get 3G now and I seem to connected to TMobile via StraightTalk. In my tests I get like 3meg down and 1.5meg up from the bandwidth windows phone app.