how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FranzP

join:2011-12-09
Wickliffe, OH

1 recommendation

[NEO] What's going on with Time Warner's IPv6 support?

Has TWC started their IPv6 trials or otherwise started rolling anything out yet? The trial signups opened a couple of months ago, but it doesn't seem that there has been any news since then. I've had IPv6 running for a while now (Mikrotik router + Hurricane Electric tunnel), but would like to know when I will be able to run it natively since the tunnel doesn't provide quite enough bandwidth for things like HD Youtube videos.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12

BWAHAHAHA! Are they losing customers due to the lack of IPv6? No? Then no, they haven't made any serious plans to roll it out. I'm sure they're doing just enough to get good PR in IPv6 news/events though.

I though for sure TWC and AT&T were competing to see who could delay deployment the longest. It seems TWC won though as AT&T rolled out a almost-working (but live nonetheless) 6rd deployment to their xDSL customers who have certain model gateways.

/M

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

1 recommendation

Correction... 6rd is available to certain UVerse routers. The majority of (older) UVerse RGs have no IPv6 support -- and aren't on any published roadmap to ever support it. Traditional ADSL users (and there are many millions of those) will *NEVER* have IPv6 support. (unless they buy their own modem and set it up themselves.) This is a sad commentary on how lazy AT&T is... supporting IPv6 for PPPoE users is a few minutes worth of work (per concentrator) -- however, few (read: none) of their ADSL modems support it (or ever will), so they don't even bother. (for the millions who's modems are bridges to things that can.)

It's all bull***t PR anyway. The *only* reason to touch 6rd is to be able to give the go-away-hand-wavy "yes we support IPv6[footnote to 36 page disclaimer]" AT&T's 6rd setup is intended to be completely transparent. While that's how it needs to be, eventually, today people need to know explicitly that IPv6 is being used so they know why their network isn't working worth a crap.

For TWC, they're focused on D3 to get to IPv6. I'm not sure that's 100% necessary... I don't know if their D2 modems will drop or pass IPv6 frames. I don't see any IPv6 flying off my SB5100.

mind21_98

join:2006-05-13
San Diego, CA

said by cramer:

For TWC, they're focused on D3 to get to IPv6. I'm not sure that's 100% necessary... I don't know if their D2 modems will drop or pass IPv6 frames. I don't see any IPv6 flying off my SB5100.

DOCSIS 3.0 is no guarantee that you'll have IPv6. My SBG6580 doesn't support it and it doesn't seem like it ever will, even though I have Extreme.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24

They can probably make the Motorola support IPv6, if it doesn't already have some hidden function in it.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

I have my SBG6580 is bridge mode which should in theory make it so that all traffic is simply passed through the modem to my router (a Linksis E3000 running TomatoUSB), but I still have no IPv6.

kba4

join:2001-10-23
Canton, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to FranzP

anyone care to state why IPv6 support at the ISP level is so important? if v6 and v4 are truly compatible then it shouldn't make any difference. this isn't like Gb vs 10/100Mb support, it's simply an addressing scheme and believe me TW has more than enough IP addresses to dole out for at least the time-being...
--
I see what you're saying, even though I'm really just listening...

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

What happens when more servers and services come online in data centers and all they have is an IPv6 address?

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

1 recommendation

Click for full size
said by trparky:

What happens when more servers and services come online in data centers and all they have is an IPv6 address?

Those services won't make it far as there is only a minuscule amount of users out there with IPv6 addresses, less than 1%. Even those with IPv6 addresses usually have a few devices that can't even handle IPv6 yet.

But you should see more after June 6th, 2012:
»www.worldipv6launch.org/press/20120117-2//
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to FranzP

Who cares? IPv4 is better anyway. A 12-digit number broken into four sections is a lot easier to remember than some Asperger's hexadecimal clusterfuck that's a mile long.

I like actually being able to type my IP address, thank you very much.

pizz
bye bye twc. hello Comcast.
Premium
join:2000-10-27
Astoria, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by 45612019:

Who cares? IPv4 is better anyway. A 12-digit number broken into four sections is a lot easier to remember than some Asperger's hexadecimal clusterfuck that's a mile long.

'

lol
--
Fantasy football is Dungeons & Dragons for the guys who beat up kids that played D&D.

mind21_98

San Diego, CA
reply to 45612019

said by 45612019:

Still better than mandatory NAT at the ISP level that screws with running servers of any kind (and the file transfer functionality of AIM, etc. uses a server process on your computer, btw).

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to mind21_98

IPv6 is required in the D3 specs. The internal router function not exposing IPv6 is totally different. (read: the ISP isn't doing v6 yet.)

mind21_98

San Diego, CA

said by cramer:

IPv6 is required in the D3 specs. The internal router function not exposing IPv6 is totally different. (read: the ISP isn't doing v6 yet.)

Yep, I'm aware of that. I was thinking that the Motorola had no support at all because of some list I saw on Comcast's website a while back--it was on there, but as something that didn't support IPv6.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

1 edit

said by mind21_98:

said by cramer:

Yep, I'm aware of that. I was thinking that the Motorola had no support at all because of some list I saw on Comcast's website a while back--it was on there, but as something that didn't support IPv6.

Comcast is certifying modems for IPv6 as they test them. They're doing the same with some routers too:
»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/
»blog.comcast.com/2011/11/ipv6-de···ogy.html

If it's a D3 modem that isn't on that list, they just haven't tested, certified, or passed it yet. Reading though jlivingood's posts, it seems not all IPv6 "compatible" gear supports the standard to the same level.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3
reply to mind21_98

said by mind21_98:

said by cramer:

DOCSIS 3.0 is no guarantee that you'll have IPv6. My SBG6580 doesn't support it and it doesn't seem like it ever will, even though I have Extreme.

wrong the SBG6580 supports ipv6 TWC just hasn't updated them to it yet.

»www.motorola.com/Video-Solutions···/SBG6580

mind21_98

San Diego, CA

said by motorola870:

wrong the SBG6580 supports ipv6 TWC just hasn't updated them to it yet.

»www.motorola.com/Video-Solutions···/SBG6580

Ah, good to know. I totally wish I had 2 blue lights on mine (and 300/100 provisioned across 8 downstream and 4 upstream channels) though.

Suit Up

join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

reply to cramer

said by cramer:

For TWC, they're focused on D3 to get to IPv6. I'm not sure that's 100% necessary... I don't know if their D2 modems will drop or pass IPv6 frames.

IPv6 is part of the DOCSIS 2.0 spec. DOCSIS 3.0 merely adds management over IPv6 capabilities (which is necessary to be able run a IPv6 only network)

said by kba4:

anyone care to state why IPv6 support at the ISP level is so important? if v6 and v4 are truly compatible then it shouldn't make any difference. this isn't like Gb vs 10/100Mb support, it's simply an addressing scheme and believe me TW has more than enough IP addresses to dole out for at least the time-being...

Because they aren't compatible. 10/100/1000 ethernets are compatible (you can plug a computer with gigabit ethernet into a 100 mbit switch and a 10 mbit computer can communicate with it just fine). But a computer running IPv4 only can not talk to one running IPv6 only. But what you are able to do is run both IPv4 and IPv6 concurrently on the same computer so that you can access both.

said by 45612019:

Things like zeroconf/mdns and upnp have made needing to know your device's ip address redundant. I prefer typing in server_name.local rather than having to remember what are the correct final 3 digits for the server I'm trying to access.

piyokos8

join:2010-03-20
reply to 45612019

"Asperger's hexadecimal clusterfuck" Ahahahahahaaha

Burntcrikt

@rr.com
reply to 45612019

said by 45612019:

Telephone numbers used to be four digits, now for many(most?) they are 10 digits long.

NiteSn0w

join:2010-12-24
reply to mind21_98

said by mind21_98:

said by cramer:

Your modem doesn't have to support IPv6. A cable modem is just a bridge, network traffic passes over it, that's it.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

said by NiteSn0w:

Your modem doesn't have to support IPv6. A cable modem is just a bridge, network traffic passes over it, that's it.

Unless it's a gateway, like the SBG6580.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to FranzP

It isn't needed. Don't worry about it.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to NiteSn0w

said by NiteSn0w:

I am just wondering, how can you say that?

Before you even try to answer, my question...

--
#1 While a modem is in bridge mode, it is possible to access it.

For example I point to »Re: [Windows] Can I access cable modem menu through router?

Their cable modem is in bridge mode (does not do NAT), and yet they can still access it (IPv4).

Side note: If you can't access it the same way that I pointed you to, I point you to »Re: Access to modem combo while in bridge mode

#2 And then considering, some day in the future there will be equipment that does not support IPv4.

--

Thanks.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

2 recommendations

reply to chamberc

said by chamberc:

Yes, it is. Get a clue.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to chamberc

said by chamberc:

Please explain: How can you say that?

Before you even try to answer, please read the info that is on »blog.ericdives.com/?p=747

Thanks.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

reply to kba4

said by kba4:

if v6 and v4 are truly compatible then it shouldn't make any difference.

They're not.

Elyria

join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH
reply to FranzP

Nothing like having a useless pizzing contest over an absolutely silly azz'd protocol which really dosn't effect/affect anyone in a direct fashion.....deff not life changing if one was to read the details of said silly azz'd back-n-forths

mind21_98

San Diego, CA

1 recommendation

said by Elyria:

Nothing like having a useless pizzing contest over an absolutely silly azz'd protocol which really dosn't effect/affect anyone in a direct fashion.....deff not life changing if one was to read the details of said silly azz'd back-n-forths

Won't be so useless when TWC and others stop giving out routable IPv4 addresses because they've run out of them. And there are a fair number of Internet protocols that have major problems in a NAT environment, so...

Elyria

join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH

quote:
when....... ?????
exactly !!!!!!!!

and..... "useless pizzing contest'' was the comment

silly