« Tivo QuestionsFinally upgraded... »
This is a sub-selection from ultra tv
grantsa4
join:2007-08-15
Naperville, IL

grantsa4 to prospector00

to prospector00

Re: ultra tv

Is there any improvement in picture quality, or just the same?
sgc7
join:2011-11-02
Naperville, IL

sgc7

said by grantsa4:

Not entirely sure, but I think so.
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

1 edit

Body Count to grantsa4

to grantsa4
said by grantsa4:

Look at the tutorial that WOW_Dan posted and you'll see the resolutions it can do.

1080p 24hz (same as Blu-Ray and good for 120Hz/240Hz TV's)
1080p 30hz (for the 60Hz TV crowd)

So I say yes it should have better picture quality

Only issue is if it upconverts the picture to 1080p. Then it's not really better quality. It's like converting a MP3 into CD Audio. You still listen to the song in MP3 quality even though it plays as an CD audio disc.
hudiat
join:2011-10-13

hudiat

They are feeding the same feed to you, picture quality should not differ much if any between device, just provider.
sgc7
join:2011-11-02
Naperville, IL

sgc7

said by hudiat:

They are feeding the same feed to you, picture quality should not differ much if any between device, just provider.

The picture quality may be better since the SA/Cisco boxes seemed to have some sort of trouble decoding channels (i.e. pixellation when switching channels, pixellation, grainy picture, etc.) on many boxes. This is especially true for older models (not all units, but generally) so those upgrading from 8300s or 3200s will likely see an increase in picture quality. The signal from WOW! may be the same but it's not trying to push a watermelon through a garden hose anymore.