spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

andykay

@acanac.net

Someone post latest sb6120 firmware?

Apparently you can't sign up with a new sb6120 and must have the newest firmware, so can someone post the firmware so we can manually install it (probably with a jtag)
I know rogers is supposed to send it but there must be some manually method using the jtag connector to update it by yourself

fourboxers
Co-Lead Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto, ON
I don't believe you can update your modem firmware, not sure we'd want it posted here in any case.

Rogers pushes the firmware.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
reply to andykay
As fourboxers said on Rogers can push the latest firmware to your modem.

fluffy

@teksavvy.com
reply to andykay
no point updating it yourself. rogers will just reflash your modem the second you connect it.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
said by fluffy :

no point updating it yourself. rogers will just reflash your modem the second you connect it.

From what was said in another thread, it seems some firmware versions are on some sort of "don't touch" status and require modem replacement... this is where the ability to JTAG a new firmware in place can become useful if someone can find a firmware image.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
Except its illegal to JTAG the firmware period. Yes even on your own owned outright modem. The firmware belongs to the manufacturer and is liscensed under contract to the Cableco's. I'm gona guess its not cheap either.

You can JTAG your own router to your hearts content, but do not bother wasting your time trying that on your modem.

As for the firmware for the SB6120, and SB6121, the current set is SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.1-SCM00-NOSH if you don't have that on your modem, leave a request with TSI at »TekSavvy Direct and see if they'll nudge robers to push it out to you. Be patient. We went through that back in September. I don't see why they can't continue to use the SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.1-SCM00-NOSH.

If you have requested the push, and indeed do receive it Please do let us know. And if its refused, we would also like to know why.

The SB6120 is 'getting old' now anyways, yes even for a Docsis 3.0 thats only just now finally at long last being 'rolled out' and in many places in Canada & the USA in some area's has just been completed. The SB6120 was announced way back around 2008 so thats like going on what five years now? »connectedhome2go.com/2008/02/21/···-30-cpe/ and the SB6121 its successor had only just come out the past two years or so hasn't it? So now they're looking to do more than 4 bonded channels both ways and now just moving onto 8 bonded channels, unfortunately theres a modem testing phase that doesn't come cheap to qualify a modem for use on the Robers network (its theirs after all), so you won't be seeing any SB6180 or its ilk anytime soon unless TSI again pays Robers to test and qualify them (big assed proccess and spendy) then for how long if at all they approve them. Dreads having to possibly being forced into unit rentals + fees blah like DSL for more BOHICA nickel & diming.

And so we're stuck with the Thompsons *shudder*. Works great for some, not so good for others. Future proofing I duno, its just more and more sneaky money grubbing marketing hype when you can't even really use any of your own modems to their full capacities anyways, at least not here.

Churn Churn Churn... burn burn burn.... bye bye bye moar cashola...

'course the CRTC isn't helpin' us any.
--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.
-Motorola SB6120-1.0.6.1 + Netgear RangeMax WNDR3700v1 + Dupont POI + eXtreme Cable Pr0

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

From what was said in another thread, it seems some firmware versions are on some sort of "don't touch" status and require modem replacement... this is where the ability to JTAG a new firmware in place can become useful if someone can find a firmware image.

I'd like some really authoritative confirmation that Rogers will automatically flash SB612x units. I doubt it myself. In the other thread, the cerebus summed up what has happened so far:
»Re: [Cable] Speed matching and SB612x retired from rogers networ
The end of that was Rogers doing a "one time" push of new working firmware to all connected SB612x units. While it is possible that the push is still on, so to speak, I expect it is not. It may be that Rogers will do another push sometime in the future, but I don't think Teksavvy can do much to encourage it.

I know in the case of the DCM425 the ST52.05.45 firmware won't sync with Rogers. I would pay real money for a way to update those modems to a factory firmware that works with Rogers (note: I can flash them to haxorware, but I'm not about to widely distribute modems like that).

In the case of the surfboards, I think all firmwares at least sync, so there is a chance to have Rogers update them eventually. The DCM425s are basically garbage, really annoying!

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
reply to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

and now just moving onto 8 bonded channels, unfortunately theres a modem testing phase that doesn't come cheap to qualify a modem for use on the Robers network (its theirs after all), so you won't be seeing any SB6180 or its ilk anytime soon unless TSI again pays Robers to test and qualify them

Videotron started using the SB6180 more than a year ago when they initially rolled out their TGV120 tier around Quebec City but it seems they stopped using it due stability problems with it on their network. If Videotron decided to scrap it, Rogers probably won't get into it in the first place.

As far as certification of 8-QAM modems goes, the DCM475 has been authorized on both Rogers and Videotron's networks for a while already, no need to wait or pay for more qualification unless ISPs want to use something else that bad.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON
Thats interesting. I wasn't aware of that, then again I don't pay much attention to videotron. Ty for the info

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to andykay
I'm getting the 24mb speed on my Sb5100 with firmware SB5100-2.3.7.1-GA-00-NOSH, which looks like it was last updated in 2009.

There should be no reason for the modem to need a firmware update to obtain higher speeds.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
said by elwoodblues:

There should be no reason for the modem to need a firmware update to obtain higher speeds.

Yes, there should be no reason to update fw to get bug fixes for technology that did not exist when the firmware was initially issued.

miji2

join:2010-08-01
reply to Teddy Boom
Just a confirmation that my SB6120 got provisioned successfully yesterday with the 1.0.3.5 firmware. Woke up this morning with the 1.0.6.1 firmware.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by miji2:

Just a confirmation that my SB6120 got provisioned successfully yesterday with the 1.0.3.5 firmware. Woke up this morning with the 1.0.6.1 firmware.

Did TekSavvy ask you which firmware you had, or did you ask them for Rogers to push new firmware?
--
GO LEAFS GO!

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
kudos:2
said by HiVolt:

said by miji2:

Did TekSavvy ask you which firmware you had, or did you ask them for Rogers to push new firmware?

I was under the impression that modem firmware update was automatic in the sense that rogers doesn't "push" the firmware but rather the cmts detects the modem is using an older firmware and automatically takes action to remedy the issue by sending the new firmware and then the modem will either accept it or reject the firmware.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
said by technocar2:

I was under the impression that modem firmware update was automatic in the sense that rogers doesn't "push" the firmware but rather the cmts detects the modem is using an older firmware and automatically takes action to remedy the issue by sending the new firmware and then the modem will either accept it or reject the firmware.

Sounds like what happened, ya. More confirmation that this happens would be good though. Also, not to be argumentative, but Rogers equipment updating firmware without end customer intervention is pretty much the definition of Rogers pushing a firmware.

the cerberus

join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON
reply to technocar2
said by technocar2:

said by HiVolt:

said by miji2:

maybe but thats not true for the 6121
and they definitely pushed out 1.0.6.1 to individual teksavvy customers at the start of the fix.
the problem was rogers pushed out bad firmware at first to all 6120's.
i had a 6120 running on rogers and I tried to get them to push the update to me and they told me they could ban my 6120 and i should sign up for a 3rd party if i want to use it... .
i have my 6121 here in waterloo running 1.0.5.0, and i had another unprovisioned 6120 running on the line that used to be acanac cable.
then they decided to mass update to 1.0.6.1 the two 6210 modems got the update, and the teksavvy 6121 did not.

miji2

join:2010-08-01
reply to HiVolt
No and no. They did not ask, and I did not request (but am glad they did).

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to the cerberus
said by the cerberus:

then they decided to mass update to 1.0.6.1 the two 6210 modems got the update, and the teksavvy 6121 did not.

They updated unprovisioned modems? That isn't happening now, I can say that for certain

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to miji2
said by miji2:

said by miji2:

That's surprising. Thanks for the info though, miji2! It will be very helpful.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON
I'm just wondering though, I haven't yet tried a "factory reset" of my SB6120 from the Gui. I have however done a GUI reboot once or twice since I've had it. I'm advoiding the factory reset option unless I can be sure its SAFE and that its not going to put me in a position where the firmware gets messed up. Mine's only been online since Sept.

What I am going to do tomorrow is shut my whole system down anyways. And plug the modem directly into a wall socket instead of the UPS and see if that helps any. At least that'll be one less thing to have to troubble shoot.

Only thing I'd be worrying about is a brief brownout condition but I don't think I'll be too concerned about that til spring when the lightning stuff is usually nastier; not that winters don't have any.
--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.
-Motorola SB6120-1.0.6.1 + Netgear RangeMax WNDR3700v1 + Dupont POI + eXtreme Cable Pr0

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Factory reset does not revert to any old version of firmware.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to miji2
said by miji2:

Well then this definitely contradicts some of the info from the Acanac forums, that Rogers is not provisioning modems with firmware other than 1.0.6.1.

Fuqn Rogers.
--
GO LEAFS GO!