marco
Premium Member
join:2001-09-14

marco to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer

Re: [Cataclysm] An excellent post on LFR

Basically, this boils down to something important:

People who play games to overcome a challenge need to get a life.

Games are for entertainment. Using them to feel like you're accomplishing something is unhealthy. Period.

Blizzard did the right thing by making their content accessible...everyone complaining about it needs to look at their lives.

Treebark
Premium Member
join:2010-03-04
Havelock, NC

1 recommendation

Treebark

Premium Member

Why, because that is important to you? Sounds like a bunch of shoulds. Maybe overcoming a challenge in a game is the person's entertainment. Not everyone is the same and likes the same things there boss. Maybe you need to look at your life since you are generalizing.

marco
Premium Member
join:2001-09-14

1 edit

marco

Premium Member

said by Treebark:

Why, because that is important to you? Sounds like a bunch of shoulds. Maybe overcoming a challenge in a game is the person's entertainment. Not everyone is the same and likes the same things there boss. Maybe you need to look at your life since you are generalizing.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but it seems like I hit a nerve there, hard to tell with text but your tone definitely seems defensive.

I define healthy entertainment as passive activities for enjoyment. Reading,watching movies or shows, sex, sports etc...
People make a living out of sports are fine, it defines their lives, it becomes their driving force.
A guy who works at a power plant and takes his weekly football game too seriously is creating conflict for himself.
Do you see the distinction?

People naturally have challenges facing them in life that they can't control or avoid.

If you're choosing to make them out of nothing, like from a videogame, you're either ignoring your real problems or your life is unfulfilling.

No joke, this isn't an opinion...this isn't a "different strokes for different folks" kind of thing...

Too many people are using what could be a healthy way for your mind to unwind into something they hide behind...its not good.

Fact remains, I still feel blizzard did the right thing with the LFR.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer to marco

Premium Member

to marco
said by marco:

Games are for entertainment. Using them to feel like you're accomplishing something is unhealthy. Period.

Blizzard did the right thing by making their content accessible...everyone complaining about it needs to look at their lives.

There simply is no basis for this argument. Overcoming a challenge is why we have competitive hobbies. How else can you explain Golf? In fact, the only way for someone to play video games and yet fit your definition of a balanced lifestyle is if they play SIMS, or webkins.

I know that the crux of your post was the last sentence... and could almost agree with you; however, your supporting arguments were completely off-base. Playing a video game, or sport (RL or game), or assembling jigg saw puzzles are perfectly valid endeavors for personal achievement. Your last statement is only correct if the only reason people are complaining about LFR is that it allows more people to see what previously could only be seen by them.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

Mike to marco

Mod

to marco
said by marco:

I bet you're the type of person who watches the Super Bowl for the commercials.