Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hoyleysox
Premium
join:2003-11-07
Long Beach, CA

[Spam] Best Buy Gift Card Text Message Spam

Just got my second unsolicited text message spam offering a best buy gift card. It pisses me off that I get charged for their illegal spam. The fact that they keep switching sites makes it extra dubious.

The purported sender: "Alicia_C@techwinnings.net" sent:

Your phone # was selected to win a Best-Buy (Gift-Card) Grab it today. Enter 4236 here »win.techwinnings.net

The purported sender of the earlier one was BenitaBoswell@promo-winners.com

Your phone is picked to obtain a Best Buy (Giftcard) Claim it now at: prize.promogiveaways.net

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6

You should be able to setup a filter to block those kinda texts, I can with t-mobile.

hoyleysox
Premium
Long Beach, CA

They keep switching domains. @PROMO-WINNERS.COM was already on my Verizon Wireless Spam Block list. Now I added the other two domains that I listed in the previous post..
»support.verizonwireless.com/faqs···ols.html

VZ only lets me block a max of 15 domains and the SMS spammers keep switching. Carriers need to come up with a better solution, I am considering blocking SMS because I usually text through with google voice. However, I would like for people to reach me on my mobile #..

I did not browse to any of the links that I posted, I can only assume they are attempting to collect my personal information so they can sell my personal info to other spammers and scammers. I have no doubt these jerks bought, sold or stole my longtime mobile phone #.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX

T-mo lets you filter texts and emails by keywords too not just numbers and email addresses

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

Where can you block by keyword? On the phone, by account type, or on web account page?

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX

On the account web page somewhere, I forget where though. The last spam text i was getting was something from yahoo but that stopped months ago.

Whip

join:2009-01-23
Califon, NJ
reply to hoyleysox

hoyleysox
Premium
Long Beach, CA

said by Whip:

There's a whole new area of 'mlm'/ponzi scams all intertwined involving this crap:

Thanks for checking it out. Sounds like one of those pay to play ripoffs.

Whip

join:2009-01-23
Califon, NJ

said by hoyleysox:

said by Whip:

There's a whole new area of 'mlm'/ponzi scams all intertwined involving this crap:

Thanks for checking it out. Sounds like one of those pay to play ripoffs.

Unfortunately, it's pay and be ripped off.
This same scam also had one where their excuse was pay us 'X' a month, go out and colect 10 license plate numbers per month to allegedly enter into a database that would 'help' Amber Alert but bashed Amber Alert at the same time.
You could only enter 10 plate numbers per month so what good was that?
Not that entering any would actually do something except get your hopes up that you were somehow going to get 'paid'.
2 different schemers tried it under different names (well one left the first incarnation and started his own).

tiredofscams

@cableone.net
reply to hoyleysox

I just received a text from William_H_Sullivan@tech.......I caint stand these fake scams that they come up with!It said that my mobile #was selected to win a BestBuy giftcard...and to enter a number @ the web site.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to hoyleysox

Text from 1 (347) 559-4574 at 10:48 am on the 15th.

quote:
Text: You've been chosen, You won a $1000 BestBuy Card! Please Go To hxxp://winners.cardsbestbuy.info/576798
Hope they fry in hell.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

catdog

@bellsouth.net
reply to CptGemini

That's not the point. We should not "have to" [block] something that we NEVER SHOULD HAVE RECEIVED in the first place! At that point, I've already been charged for some a$-$-hole's spam!

And, remember, a lot of these are EMAIL SPAM TO PHONE, *NOT* SMS Text spam. ANYBODY can send email to 'your-phone-#@vzmobile.net" [vzmobile is not the real suffix, just an example] or likewise to the other carriers as well. These are WELL-KNOWN EmailToSMS addresses. Bottom line, I can [randomly] send emails to 4016623190@vzmobile.net, then 4016623191@vzmobile.net, etc. and NOBODY CAN STOP THAT (currently). Sure, AFTER THE FACT, you can go and put in a filter or a block, but that still is "re-actively" doing a 'workaround;' that is not solving the problem - and as soon as they change email addresses or servers, the filter is no longer good.

If it shows on your phone as "from" joe@someplace.za and so forth, then it's EMAIL SPAM to your phone, NOT SMS spam.

If it shows as a 5-digit, 7-digit or 10-digit #, then it is SMS text spam.

5-digit #'s, at least on Sprint, are confirmed to be ONLY SPRINT-SANCTIONED PARTNERS! I never knew that, until I called then and asked HOW can someone send from some 5-digit # and I cannot complain about it? Sprint rep said, "Oh, that is spam from OUR [Sprint] partners." I said, "Well, I *NEVER* want to be spammed from Sprint partners again." The rep said, "Ok, I've changed that setting for you."

But the EMAIL SPAM is the REAL killer! Anybody who knows the T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, & ATT mobile email suffix; all they have to do is tack that onto the end of a 10-digit number and, VOILA! You get spammed on your cell phone from an email account. Not everyone realizes that that can be done.

And the KICKER? The phone companies currently WILL *NOT* PROVIDE FULL HEADERS TO WE (THE VICTIMS!) This needs to change, and I might do a class-action lawsuit against Sprint or a grass-roots effort to get this to change!

I was watching World News Tonight on Feb 15, 2012, and right when they were talking about people sending spam to phones, I get a SPAM ON MY PHONE - from an "email address" - about a Best Buy Gift Card!

The other thing we can do is COMPLAIN TO BBB ABOUT BEST BUY! That is one of the ONLY ways we can begin to prevent this stuff.

Even though it is NOT really Best Buy - guess what REALLY IT *IS* BEST BUY!!! These cards have the BEST BUY NAME ON THEM; and these spammers apparently may even be working "on behalf of" Best Buy! If not, BEST BUY needs to be the "bad guy" and help put a stop to this! If nothing else, they can help push for legislation to prevent spammers from SELLING CARDS IN "BEST BUY'S" NAME!

Of course, Best Buiy is getting read to file for bankruptcy, but WAL-MART, TARGET - I have gotten ALL of these! Unless we get the merchants to help, then only a "grass-roots" and/or "class-action" will really start to change things!

catdog

@bellsouth.net
reply to hoyleysox

The don't have to BUY any lists! All you need to do is "randomly guess" some phone numbers - that ALWAYS, throughout the years, has worked; marketers even have robo-dialers that dial and make spam marketing calls, by simply sequencing through a bunch of numbers - think about it - all you do is add 1 to the previous number and keep going. I can't believe how many people still don't know about this.

There are small software programs that do it also, even without buying a full-blown robo-dialer.

The gov't is trying to get legislation to STOP robo-dialers, except for anyone you already do business with - which is how it's supposed to be already. Still, I don't even want a call from whatever companies I already do business with! Much less an EMAIL SPAM TO MY PHONE!
Nor do I want SMS text spams to my phone.

hoyleysox
Premium
Long Beach, CA

said by catdog :

The don't have to BUY any lists! All you need to do is "randomly guess" some phone numbers - that ALWAYS, throughout the years, has worked; marketers even have robo-dialers that dial and make spam marketing calls, by simply sequencing through a bunch of numbers - think about it - all you do is add 1 to the previous number and keep going. I can't believe how many people still don't know about this.

They also could have downloaded the Federal do not call list, which I am on.

starreem
Premium
join:2000-12-22
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to hoyleysox

A lot of that spam originates from a computer app, blasting text spam to sequential phone numbers. I have my Sprint mobile number set to reject text messages that do not originate from another cell phone. It's something customer service sets up, I cannot from the phone.
--
Vuja De - The feeling you've never been here before.

RayRay

@rcn.com
reply to hoyleysox

I've been an Iphone user for years... it was very fishy when only after I bought a phone actually at a best buy did these spam text messages begin. I suspect an employee at the store recorded then sold these numbers after they activated my phone.

My girlfriend got a phone at the same time. We don't sign up for anything together... the only common thread with our 2 numbers is we both activated them at the same time/day through the same person at Best buy at the Cambridgeside Galleria in Cambridge MA.

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX
reply to hoyleysox

Looks like the scammers are trying a similar tactic with bogus $1,000 Walmart gift card offers:

»consumerist.com/2012/03/no-walma···one.html
--
I, for one, welcome our new Computer Overlords.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to RayRay

said by RayRay :

... it was very fishy when only after I bought a phone actually at a best buy did these spam text messages begin.

I have had this cell phone for almost 6 years. Only recently, have I started getting a significant amount of text message spam, and only recently was I signed up (without my permission) for a $9.99 per month scam (a scam that sends me messages I don't want).

As for the scam - the fee and subscription were cancelled by my provider, and there's now a block on the account to prevent any repeat.

I would be cautious about jumping to conclusions as to why you are being targeted. I suspect that the scam industry has just discovered that this is a potential gold mine for them, and they have started to get serious about exploiting it.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.1; firefox 10.0.2