spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ShawX

join:2012-02-08

BB250 Horrible Speeds

Just signed up for BB250 last week. My highest ever upload was 6.47mbps and highest download was 222mbps down, which is decent.

Since BB250 being available, in the evenings speeds are horrible. It is 6:52pm right now and I can't break 50mbps down or 2mbps up... Shaw techs are saying all looks good even did a modem swap.

Setup is:
Cisco modem in bridge mode
ASUS RT-N56U
All wired CAT6 connections

Tried everything I can think of from firmware, direct to modem, re-terminating the CAT6 with the same results.

Any one have any other suggestions?

Edit: Location Is Med. Hat, AB.

ilianame

join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC
kudos:2
Yup, the suggestion is to switch your plan to something that will cost less.

Otherwise enjoy your speeds during off-peak. And BTW 50mbps down during peak time is much better than some people here.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB
reply to ShawX
I'd wait for the digital conversion take affect. This will free up the QAM channels across the board which will give you better speeds when everyone is home after work or school.

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to ShawX
@ShawX - If you send me your account details I can take a look into this further. Just shoot me a pm.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

Ikarasu

join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to XT0RT
said by XT0RT:

I'd wait for the digital conversion take affect. This will free up the QAM channels across the board which will give you better speeds when everyone is home after work or school.

If I'm not mistaken, 250M isn't supposed to be available, untill the digital conversion has taken affect in the area, or am I wrong?

If it's true and speeds are that bad... Guess I'll have to re-think 250M when it is available here :\

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
said by Ikarasu:

said by XT0RT:

If I'm not mistaken, 250M isn't supposed to be available, untill the digital conversion has taken affect in the area, or am I wrong?

If it's true and speeds are that bad... Guess I'll have to re-think 250M when it is available here :\

It's all about the node you're on, and your signal. OP should contact Sean to get some troubleshooting done.

Doonz is have good luck with his 250. I'd say its worth trying Ikarasu, if you want to fork out the cash.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB
reply to Ikarasu
Shaw will subscribe people to the 250 Mbit service, but getting that speed is another matter. If speeds aren't being met or being maxed at 50 or 100, then the customer can downgrade to either BB100 or BB50. Once the analog channels have been removed, 250 Mbit customers will be able to use their 8 downstream channels without being affected.
--
Core i7 2720QM : GTX 485M @ 580M : 8GB DDR3-1333 : 320GB x 2 in RAID 0 : Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Anonymous posts are filtered.

ShawX

reply to ShawX
ShawSean, got called out of town for an emergency server issue but will be back Thurday night. Did see a VM from Tier 2 that some isues was fixed with my modem so we will see what they figured out.

Thanks!!

Spellbot5000

join:2011-06-09
Port Moody, BC
reply to ShawX
Kind of ridiculous that Shaw introduced these plans when their network clearly wasn't ready for it. I'm assuming these tiers were never meant to be implemented so quick, and were only going to be offered after the digital changeover. Then the whole shitstorm over metered bandwidth occurred, and Shaw was forced to suddenly implement these much faster tiers to placate everyone.

ShawX

reply to ShawX
The last 2 nights I am able to break 150mbps+ in prime time!!!

My uploads however are 0.8 - 2mbps.

It is 8:15pm here and just tested at 186.96 down and 1.7 up.

Guessing it has to be an issue before my modem but have run out of things to test, will see what happens now!

ShawX

reply to ShawX
Tech was just here for about 2 minutes.

Basically he said Shaw isn't bonding upstream channels yet. So even though they are advertising 100/10 and 250/15 he said it is more like 100/5 and 250/5 to 6 .

Tech said to give Shaw a call and let the reps know and they might do something.

Thanks for the help Sean it was great response time!

Baud1200

join:2003-02-10
Ironically this was my exact issue.. Note the BB/unlimited 250 has now been removed from the whole Edmonton area, and is no longer listed as available on their website for any of Edmonton due to its current implementation.

Gotspeed

join:2011-12-30

1 edit
reply to ShawX
I've pretty much had a Shaw tech rep at my place to fix this issue 4 times now, with finally a Senior tech revealing or at least telling me (bs or not) that the modem or head end is throttling the connection during peak times. He also was telling me the engineers were working on the issue.

Edit: In a nutshell though, So far I'm not to impressed with it. It's very unstable as connections go.

Baud1200

join:2003-02-10
Reviews:
·Shaw
What i was told here (finally) through Sean's honest technicians was that upon investigation they found that during the initial upgrade phase all 8 channels were able to bond to downstream however only 4 were able to bond due to some technical error.

Despite this the packages were marketed in Edmonton area, which has been rectified (again thanks to Sean). As it stands now there will be another attempt at bonding a full 8 channels to upload in this area at least around June.. and they did stress the word "attempt".

Though its not the ideal answer i do give both Sean and his tech support agents props for being honest about it to me as well as removing the misleading advertising for my area. If Shaw's technical expertise was on par with his customer service then this would be a non-issue from the start.

drakos
Premium
join:2012-03-03
Calgary, AB
reply to ShawX
I just upgraded also to BB250 in Calgary Tuscany area. The first few days were awesome. Getting 150mbps DL / 7 Mbps UL on Shaw's speedtest and 130/7 on speedtest.net Brooks server. The last few days have been horrible. I am getting 90/5 Shaw and 28/7 speedtest.net now. Latency in games is 500-700 and I am getting continuous disconnects. I called shaw tech support and all I got was that the node is congested and that it is saturated during peak hours. I ran the tests at 1:30 am yesterday. Not happy spending this much money on internet and can't even get BB50 speeds. I switched my DPC3825 to bridge mode and picked up an ASUS RT-N66U router today and still the same results as I make this post. Wonder if this will be fixed and in what time frame? I might as well drop down to BB50 if this doesn't change.

ShawX

reply to ShawX
I still am getting great speeds down but the upload is still way less.

Edit: Almost seems like false advertising to advertise 15mbps upload on the Shaw site when you can't even provide it due to not being able to or w/e the issue is with upstream channels... Shaw tech came and told me the issue in less then 2 minutes on-site... Didn't even take his shoes off

ShawX

reply to ShawX
Can't break BB100 speeds here since the big snow storm in AB a week or two ago. Hope the tech comming out tommorrow can solve the issue but not holding my breathe...

The techs here seem pretty knowledgeable and in most cases walk in, say it is X and he saw it earlier

Though i'm to the point of troublshooting issues before calling tech support is getting annoying

Gotspeed

join:2011-12-30
reply to ShawX
Looks like Shaw has fixed the channel bonding for upload now.

willr

join:2012-02-26
High River, AB
reply to ShawX
Where are you?

I'm just outside calgary in high river, swapped to the 250 plan and I got the 250 down fine (about 200 at peak time, which is really good) but my 5mbit upload from the 100 plan stayed at 5mbit, sometimes it would hit 5.5 and i ended up moving back, because I don't really value the downstream..)

ShawX

reply to ShawX
It is still an issue here in Medicine Hat. Have had numerous Shaw sub contractors out, not resolved.

Had a Shaw employee out removed a few splitters, ran a new drop and he said the signal at the drop is low. Two+ weeks later nothing has been fixed!

Not sure who to check with when the signal issue will be fixed.

ShawX

Well apparently the guy didn't put in any notes or w/e to have the signal issue looked at like he said he would, or thats what they said in online chat. Hopefully this guy follows through with it!

So frustrating when you know it is not an issue with your stuff!

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
I'm still around, just pm me and I'll get some eye's on it.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

ShawX

reply to ShawX
Hey Sean,

Just wondering what acceptable speeds would be considered on BB250? Both up and down.

Not sure at all on the upload but I was told 5+ mbits is acceptable. Speed tests are completely inaccurate and I should add 20% onto every speedtest according to the local network guy per the Shaw Tech today. (I could use my own monitoring tools but would they hold any truth in this matter)?

Is 150, 160, 175, etc. what should we expect on BB250?

What should we all expect out of a BB250 connection? Is speedtest.shaw.ca so inaccurate that we need to add +20% onto the results?

This is just my opinion but I would say 200mbits or 80% is acceptable.

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
said by ShawX:

Hey Sean,

Just wondering what acceptable speeds would be considered on BB250? Both up and down.

Not sure at all on the upload but I was told 5+ mbits is acceptable. Speed tests are completely inaccurate and I should add 20% onto every speedtest according to the local network guy per the Shaw Tech today. (I could use my own monitoring tools but would they hold any truth in this matter)?

Is 150, 160, 175, etc. what should we expect on BB250?

What should we all expect out of a BB250 connection? Is speedtest.shaw.ca so inaccurate that we need to add +20% onto the results?

This is just my opinion but I would say 200mbits or 80% is acceptable.

Good day sir/maam,

I have yet to get a speed test result that is anywhere near real world speeds.

The highest I've gotten is 190mbs down and 10mbs up. When in fact according to my router (Pfsense box running on a dual atom @ 1.8Ghz w/4gb ram on a 30gb ssb) I have saturated the link beyond theoretical speeds. Highest recorded is 32.8MB/s down and 1.6MB/s up. Im guessing there is some caching going on within the router that causes these spikes.

Using private torrent sites with gbit seed boxes that i know i can pull the full 31MB/s from i usually get around 25-28Mb/s as for upload i cap it at 500kb/s but have no trouble sustaining it.

When using Usenet i get a constant 30MB/s but ive had to use 2 providers Astraweb and Supernews to acheive this, If i only use one i get maxed out around 17MB/s

With running such a fast connection you have to remeber that alot of the servers your connecting to use a load balancing or a max output to control bandwidth.

I'd reccomend trying to grab some files from multiple sources and take a look at the router wan speed and see what your total is coming in at.

But if your constantly able to get around 75% of your bandwidth your doing well. If you can speed test from gbit+ sites and know tha tyou have the routing as well as they have the spare bandwidth you should be able to get a good speed test.

Like this year i had 12 streams of NHL Center Ice going with a setting of Best availible. 1 Netflix HD movie playing and 1 Hulu stream going as well as my Plex media server streaming out and was able to fully saturate the links.

It takes alot of effort to max out this type of connection. The best way to figure things out is for you to have total control from both the the home connection and the remote connection.

The other thing is tha tunless your grabbing LARGE files 4+gb in size you may never rev your link up to full speed.

asimovv

@shawcable.net
I have a broadband 250 connection , but not able to get anywhere close to it .. average speedtest at 90-130mbps .

the final report came to that , they said my condo equipment can not keep up the speed . my building is built in 1996. I don't think this is the case .

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to ShawX
Only reason I would upgrade from my current Business BB50 to Business BB250 would be the increase in upload speed. 100Mb download is more enough for this guy.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
Be even better to upgrade Business BB100 to 10mpbs like the residental connections are, instead of the same speed as BB50

That and $250 for the BB50 to BB250 upgrade each month
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to ShawX
I'd rather stay with the Business BB50, get an upgrade to 20Mb upload speeds. 50x20 would suffice for me, for now. Would have to order a couple more static's then is all

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
Indeed,

Even 20x20 would be great,

Download isn't a big concern, upload is.

The fiber lines they use, are the same speeds in both directions, makes one wonder what the utilization on the upstream side of their links looks like.

But I believe we are off-topic now.

-Posted from my phone.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
said by kevinds:

The fiber lines they use, are the same speeds in both directions, makes one wonder what the utilization on the upstream side of their links looks like.

That isn't true, if we're talking about about DOCSIS and Cable Infrastructures. I'll cite Ars Technica's great "Meet DOCSIS" article (»arstechnica.com/business/2011/05···-access/).

"Frequencies from 5 to 42 or 65 MHz are used for return traffic, while higher frequencies, up to as high as 1 GHz, are used for broadcast and downstream traffic."

So you have about 40 MHz dedicate to all upstream traffic (Data and TV). Then you have about 500 - 600 MHz dedicated for downstream (Analog, Digital QAM TV, "DOCSIS" Data QAM).

So there is far more bandwidth available downstream.