You fail at life.
Premium
join:2002-05-20
London, ON

3 edits

3 recommendations

Phone Reviews!

Hello folks!

I was sitting here thinking of more ways to make this section of the forums a bit more educational. One of the things that sets Android apart is the many different hardware options. Why not share your thoughts about your phone?

We can use this thread for personally reviewing either your current phone, or one you've had in the past. To make things really easy, here is a snippet you can copy and paste into your post to easily review:

<b>Manufacturer:</b> 
<b>Model:</b> 
<b>Model Number:</b> 
<b>Screen Size:</b> 
<b>Screen Type:</b> 
<b>Processor(s):</b> 
<b>RAM:</b> 
<b>ROM:</b>
<b>Storage:</b> 
<b>Android Version:</b> 
<b>Back Camera:</b> 
<b>Front Camera:</b> 
<b>Carrier:</b> 
<b>Pros:</b> 
<b>Cons:</b> 
<b>Review:</b> 

Try to complete as many as possible before posting. :)

--
Weeeeeee

nekkidtruth
You fail at life.
Premium
London, ON

2 edits

2 recommendations

Manufacturer: Samsung
Model: Galaxy S II LTE (Known as Skyrocket on some carriers) Full Specs
Model Number: SGH-i727r
Screen Size: 4.5"
Screen Type: AMOLED Plus
Processor(s): 1.5GHz Dual Core
RAM: 1 GB
Storage: 16 GB
Android Version: 2.3.5
Camera: 8MP
Carrier: Rogers
Pros: Large screen, very fast, battery life, flash for camera, lots of storage plus micro-SD slot to add more.
Cons: No ICS officially released yet, some batches include defective screens (blotchy, lines when viewing in low light on dark grey/black screen).
Review: I've had this phone for about 3 weeks now. I came to it from a Sony Ericsson Xperia X10. Obviously a huge difference. The battery life on this thing is incredible. I'm a medium to heavy user and still have 30%+ battery left at the end of the day (approx. 12 hours). Sound quality is fantastic. Ultimately I give this phone a good 8/10. With a properly calibrated screen and ICS I'd give it a 10.
--
Weeeeeee

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2
reply to nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth See Profile, I like this idea. I added a few items though. For those that are rooted and running a custom ROM I think we should add what ROM we use and what kernel. Also, I changed Camera to Back Camera and added a Front Camera section as many phones now come with both.

Manufacturer: HTC
Model: Thunderbolt
Model Number:
Screen Size: 4.3in 480x800
Screen Type:
Processor(s): Single core, 1000 MHz, Snapdragon overclocked to 1.42GHz
RAM: 768MB
ROM: Liquid Smooth ROM v3.2
Kernel: Imoseyon 5.1.0
Storage: 8GB internal, 32GB external
Android Version: 2.3.7
Back Camera: 8MP
Front Camera: 1.3MP
Carrier: Verizon
Pros: LTE, large screen
Cons: crappy radio, regardless of radio version flashed.
Review: I like the phone but I'm ready for an upgrade. Just can't decide what to get next. When it first came out it was the phone to have. I was considering passing it down to my daughter but since the radios suck so bad in this phone I don't think she'd like it.

Lone Wolf
Ready For Retirement
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to nekkidtruth

Model: Galaxy Tab
Model Number: GT P-1000
Screen Size: 600 x 1024 pixels, 7.0 inches (~170 ppi pixel density)
Screen Type: Corning Gorilla Glass
Processor(s): 1 GHz Cortex-A8, OC to 1.2GHz
RAM: 512 MB RAM
Storage: 16GB Internal, 32GB External Micro SD
Android Version: 2.3.6 Gingerbread Build XWJQ8
Kernel: 2.6.35.7 se.infra@SEP-52 #2
Camera: Rear: 3.15 MP, 2048x1536 pixels, autofocus
Camera Front: 1.3 MP
Video: 720x480@30fps
Battery: 4,000mAh battery
Weight: 380 grams
Carrier: SimpleMobile $40 Monthly, Unlimited Everything Plan (No Contract)
Network: 2G Network-GSM 850/900/1800/1900, 3G Network-HSDPA 900/1900/2100
Pros: It's a Cell Phone-Tablet that has great stereo sound qualities and it's easy to mod. When used in a vehicle it's a great NAV unit and handsfree speaker phone. All games are easier to play than on a small phone.
Cons: Need to use a bluetooth headset if you don't want a speakerphone. Speakers are on the bottom so when you watch videos the stereo sound comes out of the right side.
Review: This was my first Android device and it's 14 months old. It was originally a GT P-1000T branded by the Telstra Next G network and unlocked. I have rooted it and experimented with many different custom ROMs and Kernels and recently reverted to stock to get the GB upgrade. 7" is just the right size for a tablet IMHO. Easy to carry in cargo pants or rear pocket in jeans. I can't brick this device no matter what mistakes I make as it always unbricks itself by reverting to a stock flash.
--
Charlie Rangel/ Gov. Rod Blagojevich 2012 Dem Ticket Honesty is the Dem policy!
"Anyone making under $2 billion is not rich!" Poverty is the Rep policy!

Lone Wolf
Ready For Retirement
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to nekkidtruth

Model: Google Galaxy Nexus
Model Number: I9250
Screen Size: 720 x 1280 pixels, 4.65 inches (~316 ppi pixel density)
Screen Type: Super AMOLED
Processor(s): Dual-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9 OC to 1.6 GHz
RAM: 1GB
Storage: 16GB Internal only
Android Version: 4.0.2 Ice Cream Sandwich
Kernel: 3.0.1 -ga052f63
Camera Rear: 5 MP, 2592x1944 pixels, autofocus
Video: 1080p@30fps
Battery: 1750 mAh
Weight: 135 g
Carrier: SimpleMobile $40 Monthly, Unlimited Everything Plan (No Contract)
Network: 2G Network-GSM 850/900/1800/1900, 3G Network-HSDPA 850/900/1700/1900/2100
Pros: HD Video with Movie Studio. This phone will work on any GSM network in the world. Zero bloatware. Only phone currently available with ICS. Battery life very good.
Cons: No external SD. I have to unroot to get the OTA upgrades.
Review: Easy to root and easy to mod. This is my second Google phone and I think it's the best so far. Seems like everything is customizable with the stock phone but I still like root.

nekkidtruth
You fail at life.
Premium
London, ON

1 recommendation

reply to thegeek

said by thegeek:

nekkidtruth See Profile, I like this idea. I added a few items though. For those that are rooted and running a custom ROM I think we should add what ROM we use and what kernel. Also, I changed Camera to Back Camera and added a Front Camera section as many phones now come with both.

Excellent ideas. I've edited the original post and added those
--
Weeeeeee

stev32k
Premium
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Southeast
reply to nekkidtruth

HTC:
Sensation 4G, XE:
Model Number:
4X3:
Screen Type:
dual core 1.5 GB:
1 GB :
ROM:
16 GB:
2.3.4:
8 MP:
2 MP:
T-Mobile:
Fast:
poor speaker, battery life, has to be reset twice a day:
Very poor speaker, have to carry a spare charged battery. Stock battery will only last about 6 - 7 hours with just moderate use. Have to power cycle the phone at least twice a day - it just quits making or receiving calls if I don't. Would not buy this phone again:

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
join:2001-08-02
Michigan City, IN
reply to nekkidtruth

Model: Galaxy S II
Model Number: SGH-T989
Screen Size: 4.52-inch
[b]Super AMOLED Plus

CPU Qualcomm APQ8060 1.5GHZ Dual core; Overclocked to 1.7GHZ
RAM 1GB
Storage 16GB Internal; and SD card slot for expandable to 32GB
Android Version: 2.3.6 "Gingerbread"
ROM: GBaxe Ex 1.5.1
Front Camera: 2MP
Carrier T-Mobile USA
Pros 42Mbps 4G T-Mobile capable mobile speeds (fastest they offer as of writing this) Slim design, not heavy screen is huge (Plus for me) Was able to get in color of white.
Cons A bit pricey buying from T-Mobile on contract, but supposedly this is due to high demand for said product. And TouchWiz, a theme Samsung puts over the top of the Android OS.

Review Love the phone so far, the screens resolution is kinda low compared to the new new Android phones coming out, but I was kinda shocked just how nice the screen quality is for the resolution its at.

I have rooted the phone and since installed this ROM here: »forum.xda-developers.com/showthr···=1445039

Its got a Ice Cream Sandwich theme over Android Gingerbread and it looks pretty good, the TouchWiz theme is still present in some menus however. The ROM also includes a CPU overclock of 1.7GHZ using SetCPU from the Android Market you can customize the overclock anywhere between that.

The phone and ROM does have Wifi calling using T-Mobile services, you also get this option on the phone directly from T-Mobile, and its free to use, but goes by what plan you subscribe to from T-Mobile. Beats having to pay $200-290 for a Microcell or FemToCell unit, or paying monthly on Sprint to use theirs.

Overall I would recommend this phone, you either love TouchWiz or you don't. If you don't you can always install a custom version of Android like I have.

nekkidtruth
You fail at life.
Premium
London, ON

said by ztmike:

Overall I would recommend this phone, you either love TouchWiz or you don't. If you don't you can always install a custom version of Android like I have.

Definitely agree with TouchWiz. You either like it or you don't. However, you do not need to install a custom ROM to get away from it. There are several free and paid launchers available for Android that can be downloaded/installed from the market! I'm sure you know this, was just pointing it out for newbies
--
Weeeeeee

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to nekkidtruth

Manufacturer: Motorola
Model: Bionic
Model Number: XT875
Screen Size: 4.3"
Screen Type: TFT
Processor(s): Dual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A9
ROM:ICS4bionic .902
Storage: 32GB
Android Version: 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich
Back Camera: 8mp
Front Camera: 1.3mp
Pros: size,ext-battery,feel, quick
Cons: locked bootloader
Review: I like it. It's better than my wife's Thunderbolt.
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

badcat

join:2000-10-18
Glastonbury, CT

1 edit
reply to nekkidtruth

Manufacturer:Motorola
Model:Droid Pro
Model Number:XT610
Screen Size:3.1
Screen Type:480×320 (HVGA) TFT display
Processor(s):1 GHz TI OMAP
RAM:512 MB
ROM:2 GB
Storage:1 GB built in, expandable to 32 GB microSD
Android Version:2.3.3
Back Camera:5 MP
Front Camera:N/A
Carrier:Verizon
Pros:Form factor, fairly snappy performance. Battery life is good (I installed a Seidio 1700 mAh battery which fits with the stock back).
Cons:Keyboard backlight sometimes flaky after update to 2.3.3. The camera isn't very good. The keyboard isn't as good as my last BB, but I prefer a hardware keyboard over a virtual one.
Review: Overall I'm satisfied with this phone. I came from an HTC EVO (great phone, Sprint sucked) and Blackberries prior to the EVO. I came to realize that I really just use my phone mostly for email and texting and this phone works very well for that. I tossed in a 4 GB card I had laying around and that's all I need.
--
"The stars are matter, we're matter, but it doesn't matter."

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD
reply to nekkidtruth

Model: Intercept
Model Number: SPH-M910
Screen Size: 3.2" 240x400
Screen Type: Touchscreen (TFT/Multi/Capacitive)
Processor(s): 800 MHz (Samsung S3C6410)
RAM:256 MB
ROM: stock (512 MB)
Storage: XXXX expandable to 32 GB microSD
Battery: 1500mAh, 5.5 hrs
Weight: 4.9 ounces
Form-factor: Side-Slider
Android Version: 2.2.3 (up'd from stock 2.1)
Back Camera: 3.2 MP/Digital Zoom/Auto Focus
Front Camera: NA
Carrier: VirginMobile
Pros: slider keyboard very nice, decent battery life, overall just fine,
Cons: No camera flash, and overall...not fast. When app is loaded, generally works fine, but switching between apps can take 30 sec. Argh. Needs 512 internal RAM and would probably be great. USB/computer connectivity flakey but rarely need to do that.
Review: Overall, it's cool enough, though it could be a bit more responsive. Will likely hold on to it for another year, depends if ICS is released for it. If not, moving up in 2013 (if this one doesn't get smashed before then). Works well for all I need it for.
--
Don't Lie - Be Kind - Realize your Potential

folium

join:2012-03-12
Birmingham, AL
reply to nekkidtruth

samsung phone is crappy, I cannot play most of games..

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

said by folium:

I don't know what Samsung phone you have, but I have a Galaxy Nexus and can play almost every game, and I have a couple of buddies who have the Galaxy S II and they can't also play almost every game as well.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

nekkidtruth
You fail at life.
Premium
London, ON

1 recommendation

reply to folium

said by folium:

Maybe you should try reading the original post. Why not post an actual review with information pertaining to a specific device? "Samsung phone is crappy" doesn't really say much.
--
Weeeeeee

rlt2562
The Wizard of Speed and Time
Premium
join:2002-12-23
Haughton, LA
reply to nekkidtruth

Manufacturer:Samsung
Model:Admire
Model Number:SCH-R720
Screen Size:3.5"
Screen Type:LCD (Color TFT/TFD)
Processor(s):800MHz
RAM:137MB internal
ROM:?
Storage:2GB microSD included
Android Version:2.3.4 Gingerbread
Back Camera:Yes - 3MP
Front Camera:No
Carrier:MetroPCS
Pros:Decent size/responsive screen, not a significant amount of bloat (IMHO)
Cons:Almost practical-joke short battery life with usual bells & whistles turned on
Review: This is my first smartphone after flushing my former carrier down the crapper. I've been pretty pleased with this phone though, and my wife loves hers as well. GPS drains the battery like an alcoholic under the open tap. Still, it's an Android, and there are a wealth of customization options & great free apps available to make it a great entry-level, bargain phone. The only change I've made so far is to install an 8GB microSD card to aid in the anemic on-board 137MB storage. I plan to root this thing in the next 24 hours as well.
--
Shake hands with the Devil as you race through the Gates of HELL!!

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to nekkidtruth

Model: Rezound
Model Number:
Screen Size:4.3"
Screen Type:Super LCD screen, 1280 x 720,
HD 720p
Processor(s):Qualcomm® MSM8660 1.5 GHz
RAM:16 GB onboard memory,
1 GB DDR2 RAM
ROM:Stock
Storage:as stated it comes with a 16GB micro SD
Android Version:Gingerbread and will get ICS
Back Camera:8 MP with auto focus, f/2.2, 28mm wide-angle lens, 2 x LED flash
Front Camera:2 MP front-facing camera
Carrier:Verizon
Pros:Quick and great screen
Cons:Battery life
Review: I got this to replace my Incredible which was and still is a awesome phone and one I actually miss, but my wife now has it. Its taking some time to get used to the bigger size actually. Haven't had any problems with it at all yet. The camera is better and video/pictures come out great. It comes with Beats headphones which I don't use. The Beats sound thing is ok but nothing to write home about and only works so far with the stock music player.

As said before with the bigger size. I also have a Otter Defender box on it so that adds to the bulk. Battery life is not the greatest as usual and I am looking to get a extended battery for it. Waiting for the upgrade to ICS, but so far everything works just great, not sure if I will root it, I didn't root my Incredible. The buttons are on the opposite side than the Incredible and theres no physical center optical button, which I oddly miss.

As stated it does play 720P movies and they look great, well as great as a 4.3 screen will look. But would need a bigger SD card to carry movies around, plus battery.

Overall I like the phone, but don't really love it yet as I did my Incredible. I still play with the Incredible as I can still visit it lol. But the phone has promise and think it will last me a long time.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to nekkidtruth

Model: One X
Model Number: one xl
Screen Size: 4.7
Screen Type: 720 x 1280 pixels(~312 ppi pixel density) Non Pentile
Processor(s): 1.5Ghz dual core snapdragon s4 (krait based on coretex a15)
ROM: 16GB
Storage: None
Android Version: ICS
Back Camera: 8MP. 1080p @ 30fps
Front Camera: 1.3MP 720p video
Carrier: AT&T
Pros: Screen, processor, battery life, LTE
Cons: Sense
Review: 9/10
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

grenefroggie

join:2012-05-28
Shelbyville, KY
reply to nekkidtruth

Model: Atrix 4G (Olympus)
Model Number: MB860
Screen Size: 4in (540x960)
Screen Type: TFT capacitive touchscreen
Processor(s): Dual-core 1Ghx Cortex-A9
ROM: CM7.2rc
Kernel: unknown at the moment, phone is not with me
Storage: 16GB internal, 32GB external microSD
Android Version: unknown at the moment
Back Camera: 5MP
Front Camera: VGA FFC
Pros: Fingerprint scanner, Lapdock, 802.11a/b/g/n
Cons: Many hardware issues, MotoBlur
Review:

This was my very first Android phone, and I was lucky enough to get a taste of 2.2 shortly before they upgraded. I was so new to Android at the time, coming from an iPhone, I really didn't know what the improvement was.

The phone itself is revolutionary for its time. Motorola tried to do something so far that no one has done. The fingerprint scanner concept is unique, and I can see it going a long way, just not right now. However, bio metrics could be the wave of the future, and Motorola will be right there when it happens. The lapdock is impressive. While I have not personally owned one, I did have a chance to spend some time in the AT&T store and use it. The attempt to make a phone targeted at the business person with features that would appeal to them was a great idea, but I personally see it as a commercial flop. However, it is another feature that I do not see going anywhere. It might hide for a while, but as more people are looking for laptop replacements, this could be a solution that could compete with the tablet. Lastly, this was one of the first phones to have an 802.11a chip in it. There were very few at the time that had them, though it is almost standard now on almost all high end mobile phones.

Model: Galaxy S II Skyrocket
Model Number: SAMSUNG-SGH-I727
Screen Size: 4.5in (480x800)
Screen Type: Super AMOLED Plus capacitive touchscreen
Processor(s): Dual-core 1.5Ghz Scorpion
ROM: Stock ROM, have run SKY ICS and a CM9 KANG, which was pretty impressive
Kernel: Stock kernel, 2.6.35.11
Storage: 16GB internal, 32GB external microSD
Android Version: 2.3.5
Pros: Screen size, LTE
Cons: Battery consumption, poor radio (mobile and WiFi)
Review:

LTE in certain areas is extremely fast, notably Indianapolis, IN. However, when compared to Verizon, latency is noticeably higher, 126ms compared to 60ms on Verizon. I have no idea why that would be, and to me it really does not matter as long as the b/w is there. TouchWiz is smooth as butter, and for my first Samsung phone I am pleased with it. I don't really have anything negative to say about the phone with the exception to battery life. I would assume, because of the capability of LTE, that I am going to use more battery as I am consuming more b/w. Hopefully manufacturers will be able to find a way to mitigate this in the future.

Model: Galaxy Nexus
Model Number: GT-I9250
Screen Size: 4.65in
Screen Type: Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen
Processor(s): Dual-core Cortex-A9
ROM: AOKP Maguro Build 36
Storage: 16GB internal
Android Version: 4.0.4
Kernel: 3.0.30-tuna-faux123-017+ (came with the build I believe, I did not install it with any specific intention)
Back Camera: 5MP
Front Camera: 1.3 MP
Carrier: AT&T (Usable on T-Mobile as well in US)
Pros: Google Phone, no bloatware(carrier software installed on subsidized phones), no TouchWiz
Cons: Poor radio performance on 4.0.4, no external microSD slot, cannot get it subsidized by carriers (GSM version for AT&T and T-Mobile)
Review:

You could almost call the Galaxy Nexus an enthusiast phone. I say almost because being an Android enthusiast (or maybe power user, I am not a developer) because I would have like to have seen an external microSD slot on this phone. It gives me a sense of security when I am flashing custom ROMs and constantly changing my phone to see which ROM has which features. I can carry almost as many ROMs as my heart desires, have my pictures and music on a separate removable storage. It is a preference, and as this is my daily driver, it did not affect my decision to buy the phone.

If you get the GSM version of the phone, which is what I purchased, then it is usable on AT&T and T-Mobile here in the US. However, the phone is not subsidized by the carrier, meaning you have to pay full retail price for the phone ($399.99 direct from Google, on Google Play). That is not bad for a phone that has been out just about 6 months. Comparatively speaking you will pay about $450.00 for a brand new Galaxy S II Unlocked GSM phone on Amazon, and that phone was released a year ago.

So why do I love this phone? It's pure Android. It receives updates from Google, not the carrier. Manufacturer's effectively destroy Android by laying their own UI on top of it (TouchWiz, MotoBlur, Sense). In some cases, in older phones, they nearly crippled the phone. Carriers also put their own apps on the phone, which often times go unused to the power user. To make a comparison, Apple manufactures their own phones and puts their own OS. Yes, the carriers put some software on the phone, but they are the manufacturer, and the software and hardware are made to work in unison. That's not to say it doesn't have problems, but it sure seems like they get fixed a lot more quickly.

The one issue I have with the phone right now, which appears to be a known issue is with the radio. I will drop service for no reason. This is new the Android 4.0.4 from what I have read. The phone came with an old radio configuration, so I upgraded that to the newest release and it seems to have helped quite a bit. I have only been running it for a few days, so I don't have much testing time to go on. I am hoping this will get fixed in the next release, I'll just have to wait and see.

You can purchase these phones subsidized from Sprint and Verizon. However, they killed the concept of a pure Android phone. Being that I am writing my review for the one I have, I will leave it at that.

tmaertin
Crash Into Me
Premium
join:2002-04-03
North Tonawanda, NY
reply to nekkidtruth

Model: Droid Razr Maxx
Model Number: MOTXT912M
Screen Size: 4.3" 540 x 960 pixels
Processor(s): 1.2GHz dual-core TI OMAP 4430 with PowerVR SGX 540
ROM: stock - rooted
Storage: 16GB internal/16GB SD card
Android Version: 2.3.6 Gingerbread, ICS on the horizon
Back Camera: 8MP 1080P
Front Camera: 1.3 MP 720P
Pros: Battery life on 3300 mAh Li Ion (amazing), size, easy to root, memory, HDMI out and the Webtop software (i cant believe I actually said I like a piece of Moto software)
Cons: screen size (not true HD), Motorola interface and additional software, pretty much any Verizon software
Review: I had originally gone with the Galaxy Nexus but the battery life on it was just terrible - worse than my rooted 2 year old droid x. So I came back to Moto and am impressed. I traded down on display, but the battery life alone makes up for it. It still lasts two days under moderate/heavy use. Its not like the display is bad, and the processor/RAM are on par with the best. The webtop software was a pleasant surprise. With the premium dock i can push via hdmi to a monitor, and use a mouse and keyboard with it. It actually works and works well, which was a shock as Motorola software and I have not gotten along in the past. Overall great specs, and the battery life puts it over the top.

Model: Droid X
Model Number: n/a
Screen Size: 4.3 "480x854
Screen Type: TFT-LCD
Processor(s): 1 GHz TI OMAP 3630
RAM: 512 MB
ROM: stock - rooted
Storage: 16GB internal/16GB SD card
Android Version: 2.3.6 Gingerbread
Back Camera: 8MP 720P
Front Camera: none
Pros: 8MP camera, HDMI out, storage
Cons: Motorola interface, problems with any music player crashing (fixed in latest 2.3.6 upgrade), Verizon crapware such as City ID
Review: back in the day, this phone was the best phone out there, and it still held its own until I upgraded. Once rooted and garbage removed, I got this up to its true potential. Was very happy with this as my first Android.

*on a side note, the Motorola's are great for a user who wants to root. Both of these took less than 10 minutes to root.
--
Hike up your skirt a little more, and show your world to me.

Portmonkey
My watch stopped
Premium
join:2004-04-09
Southern IL
reply to nekkidtruth

Model: Galaxy Proclaim
Model Number: SCH-S720C
Screen Size: 3.5"
Screen Type:
Processor(s): 1GHz
RAM:
ROM:
Storage: 1GB internal : 8G external microSD
Android Version: 2.3
Back Camera: 3MP
Carrier: Straight Talk
Pros:
Cons: Battery drains very fast, no flash for camera
Review: Only had it for a few days but like it very much. This is my first smart phone. Wasn't really needing a new phone but learned that Straight Talk finally offered a smart phone that uses the Verizon towers so I decided to give it a try. Battery life is very poor but I plan to order an extended battery and new cover for the back within the next few weeks. Netflix was the first app I installed and it works great. It hasn't froze yet and everything seems to run smooth and fast. This android stuff is fun. The more I use it, the more I love it. Overall, I believe it's a good entry level android phone for a beginner on a budget.

--
We've gone from the way things really are, to how someone wants them to be.

kaila

join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL
reply to nekkidtruth

Model: EVO V 4G
Model Number:
Screen Size: 4.3 Diagonal, 540x960
Screen Type: Color TFT/TFD
Processor(s): 1.2GHz Qualcomm dual core Snapdragon S3
ROM:
Storage: 4GB internal, 8GB included microSD
Android Version: 4.0 ICS
Back Camera: 5mp
Carrier: Virgin Mobile
Pros: Great bloat-free and enhanced ROMS/kernels available. Rooted with PRI and radio update makes it an outstanding phone, offering great performance, battery life, tethering, etc all for $239 unsubsidized (from Virgin Mobile's site). $35 plan for unlimited text and data* (throttled 3g data after 2.5GB, 4g WiMax unlimited), 300 voice minutes.
Cons: If Sprint doesn't offer decent coverage in your area, forget about it. 4G is WiMax. Despite the rumblings of Sprint opening up roaming, no roaming. Just ok camera, I find the '3d' photo feature gimicky. Stock phone experience is lacking. A year old phone. Virgin Mobile- although entirely dependent on Sprint's coverage and how hard they QoS MVNO's in your usage areas.
Review: I'm very happy this phone and think it's the most compelling deal for a no-contract or really any phone out there currently. This is the year old Sprint Evo 3D, successor to the original EVO and sold by Virgin as the Evo V 4g with the Sprint logo still on the phone. The overall specs of this phone are decent, even when measured by what's coming out now. One could very easily go either way with this review though. If you stayed with the stock experience, had mediocre Sprint coverage, lacked 4g (although not having 4g available isn't a deal breaker by any means), it would be a lackluster phone at best. In fact, a phone I probably wouldn't recommend. Rooted with a custom ROM, it's a different beast altogether that keeps up nicely and will continue to have a lot of legs performance-wise. I live in the Chicago area where WiMax is available, although I keep it off 90% of the time. I'd say Virgin (through Sprint) offers ok 3g coverage here, good enough that I have no real complaints.

With the enhancements the custom ROMs and kernels offer, it's a blazingly fast and capable phone. Mine currently runs Google Now and several other Jellybean apps flawlessly, with a full Jellybean port being developed. Battery life is impressive and I have no problem going 16hrs with 15~35% battery life remaining on a 1900mAh Anker battery. And I have Google Voice plus two voip apps running constantly (GrooveIP and SIPDroid). Yes, it is $239, but at $35 or $45 monthly one comes out ahead against the majors in short order. This phone has exceeded my expectations.

JohnKirchner

join:2005-04-30
Great Falls, MT
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Google Voice
reply to nekkidtruth

Model: Inspire 4G
Screen Size: 4.3"
Processor(s): Qualcomm QSD8255, 1GHz Snapdragon
RAM: 768MB
ROM: 4GB
Storage: 1GB
Android Version: ICS - aospx
Carrier: Cellular One
Pros: Fast, responsive
Cons: No official ICS
Review:
The best phone I have owned to date. I have not had any issues with this phone being sluggish or unresponsive. Mine has been unlocked so any GSM carrier will work with it. I am currently with Cellular One so my data speeds are not the greatest and fastest but the cost is lower vs ATT.

Rooting and putting on a custom rom has been very easy with no issues. This phone can definitely handle ICS so I am not sure why HTC has decided to not provide an official update.

Once some more JB roms are developed and bugs worked out, I may try some of those out.
--
I would change the world...if only I had the source code to it.

nekkidtruth
You fail at life.
Premium
London, ON
reply to nekkidtruth

Model: Galaxy S III
Model Number: SGH-I747m
Screen Size: 4.8 Inches
Processor(s): 1.5GHz Dual Core (Qualcomm MSM8960 Snapdragon)
RAM: 2 GB
ROM: Stock
Storage: 16 GB
Android Version: 4.0.4
Carrier: Rogers
Pros: Excellent large screen, highly responsive, battery, flash for camera, storage plus micro-SD slot, thin, excellent sound through speaker.
Cons: Doesn't have the quad-core processor like the international version.
Review: My S2 LTE phone was stolen so I had to option to buy the same phone again or the S3. They were both the same price, so I opted for the S3. Aside from the RAM and slight increase in screen size, it's very much like the S2 LTE (better known as the Skyrocket). It's definitely more smooth and more responsive.
--
Weeeeeee

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
reply to nekkidtruth

Model: Google Galaxy Nexus
Screen Size: 720 x 1280 pixels, 4.65 inches (~316 ppi pixel density)
Processor(s): Dual-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9 OC to 1.6 GHz
Storage: 32GB Internal only
Android Version: 4.1.1 Jellybean (Nightly build of AOKP)
Kernel: iMoseyOn's 4.3.0-exp3-230
Camera Rear: 5 MP, 2592x1944 pixels, autofocus
Video: 1080p@30fps
Battery: 2100 mAh
Weight: 135 g
Carrier: Verizon (700 Minute Family Plan with grandfathered Unlimited Data)
Network: 3G CDMA/4G LTE
Pros: Completely customizable, great third-party ROM and kernel support. Check out RootzWiki for details on this.
Cons: Battery life, despite the extended Verizon battery is lacking. But I plug it in whenever I get a chance to do so. There are better batteries that can be had and I'm looking into a number of them.
Review: If you are an Android enthusiast that loves to tinker with their device, then look no further than the Galaxy Nexus. It's truly a phone for people who love to tinker, tweak, and customize it. With the completely unlockable bootloader you can load your own recovery (I use TWRP) and be safe in the fact that no matter what you do you can always go into recovery and fix your phone.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | Galaxy Nexus LiquidSmooth by TeamLiquid

Retired
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Earth
reply to nekkidtruth

And where do i find all that info on my phone ?

I'll post it, if i can find the info.
--
I work hard. I play hard. I stay hard.

nekkidtruth
You fail at life.
Premium
London, ON

1 recommendation

said by Retired:

And where do i find all that info on my phone ?

I'll post it, if i can find the info.

You just copy and paste the code from the original post and fill in the blanks. If you're unsure of any of the information, most of it can be found by going into "About Phone" in your System settings. GSM Arena (www.gsmarena.com) also has detailed specifications for phones. Be sure to find the model specific to your carrier!
--
Weeeeeee

Retired
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Earth

Thank you..:+)

theboz1419

join:2003-02-12
Elgin, IL

1 recommendation

reply to nekkidtruth

Model: Galaxy Note 2
Model Number: SPH-L900
Screen Size: 5.5 inch
Screen Type: Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Processor(s): Quad-core 1.6 GHz Cortex-A9
RAM: 2 GB
ROM: Android OS, v4.1.1 (Jelly Bean)
Storage: 16GB microSD, up to 64 GB
Android Version: v4.1.1
Back Camera: 8 MP, 3264x2448 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
Front Camera: 1.9 MP
Carrier: Sprint
Pros: BATTERY LIFE(15hours+), S-pen,
Cons: Price, gallery(photo viewer) slow
Review: Coming from HTC evo and an HTC evo 3d, this phone blows them away. This thing has the best battery life I have ever seen. working my 12 hour shift my HTC with a 3500mah battery would need to be fully charged to make it without charging. The Note 2 rarely goes below 80% and that's with streaming netflix, browsing the net and playing the occasional game. In fact im at 42% as of now and its been off the charger since 9am Saturday. The screen is huge but after you get use to it, you begin to realize its not big at all, just everything else is just way to small. The S-pen is nice to have, I have yet to find it very useful. The only minor grip I have found so far is the photo gallery is slow as molasses, more then likely due to a bug, so it should get fixed. LTE is much much better then sprints/clear channel Wimax. I live out in the country, well a few miles outside of Elgin, IL and I can receive LTE in the house. Except a few 3g areas on my 60 mile drive to work to Alsip, IL LTE all the way.

pcdebb
RIP dadkins
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to nekkidtruth

Model: Atrix HD
Model Number: MB886
Screen Size: 4.5"
Screen Type:
Processor(s): 1.50GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4
ROM: Stock but rooted
Storage: 8GB with microSD
Android Version: ICS
Back Camera: 8mp
Pros: thin profile, Smartactions, nice camera
Cons: Touch screen extremely sensitive, unreliable wifi
Review:
I had taken a break from Android and went to the world of iStuff for a while. (dont worry, I still like fruit ) Coming back, I decided on this phone. In the beginning I thought it was a sweet phone. ICS ran pretty smooth, nothing laggy about the phone, but the touch screen was very sensitive and that was extremely irritating to me. Any simple swipe and/or scroll ended up selecting. The other issue is the wifi kept dropping. It constantly was looking for wifi and I was sitting next to my router or my mifi, and my tablet and netbook was fine. This caused it to eat up huge amounts of data over previous month's usage. after some research I found out (after the fact) that these were common problems.

I wanted to give this phone a try, I tried different fixes and was careful in how I handled the phone, but it was more than i could deal with. I went back to Samsung and got me an S3 today. So far so good on that one, hope to have a review soon.
--
| map your city |