share rss forum feed

bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

[Northeast] Will FIOS speeds change if switching from coax to Ca

Long story short, I'm no longer using FIOS for TV and am leaning toward replacing my Actiontech router with my Airport Extreme.

I understand the process needed to switch the ONT from a coax/MOCA connection to Cat 6, however before I implement the change, I wanted to make sure I won't be sacrificing my FIOS speed by doing so.

So, will using a Cat 6 connection from the ONT to my Airport Extreme give me the same down/up speeds as the current coax to Actiontech setup? Thanks in advance.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24

Re: [Northeast] Will FIOS speeds change if switching from coax t

The switch from MoCa to Ethernet will give you a latency decrease. Speeds will go up if you have the 150Mbps package as MoCa 1.0 does not do 150Mbps, but any speed increases you see would be rather small.

bsangs

Montclair, NJ

1 recommendation

Thanks - for here and at the other site.

fpuig

join:2011-10-30
Severn, MD
reply to bsangs

The Air Port Extreme has 1Gb WAN port like the ont and work great with FiOS! Use CAT 6 path cable.

giffordj
Premium
join:2001-07-03
Fontana, CA
reply to Smith6612

There is not latency decrease from switching to Ethernet versus Coax.

I've done tests here on my fios and my neighbors.

Mine is on Coax. Speed Test net 13 ms.
There's is on Ethernet. Speed Test net 13ms.

We are both in the 71.254.139.x ip range.

Now I took it a step further on another friends house, 10 miles away on the older Actiontec the were getting 20ms on ethernet.

So the main factor is the router. My neighbor and I are on the Rev E router, my other friend is on the old Rev b.

bsangs

Montclair, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to fpuig

said by fpuig:

The Air Port Extreme has 1Gb WAN port like the ont and work great with FiOS! Use CAT 6 path cable.

Does the ONT actually have a gigabit connection? The ethernet connection on mine reads only 10/100.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30

said by bsangs:

Does the ONT actually have a gigabit connection?

Depends on the model.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the different models of ONTs?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
reply to giffordj

said by giffordj:

Mine is on Coax. Speed Test net 13 ms.
There's is on Ethernet. Speed Test net 13ms.

While a difference of a few milliseconds will go unnoticed by the average user, just want to point out that in the world of computers and networks 1 millisecond is a lifetime. If you really want to be accurate you will want to be more granular and be able to measure in fractions of a millisecond. The Windows command prompt cannot do that, while Unix/Linux do.

bsangs

Montclair, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to More Fiber

said by More Fiber:

said by bsangs:

Does the ONT actually have a gigabit connection?

Depends on the model.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the different models of ONTs?

Mine's not even listed there. It's a Motorola ONT 1000JI.

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD
reply to bsangs

Latency will go down, speed wont change, but the theoretical limit will be improved assuming you got a gigabit ONT and router.

--
35/35 FIOS || MSN Msgr: scott001^gmail_com

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

I don't believe anyone has empirical evidence that you will get lower latency on ethernet, but there are a lot of anecdotal cases to suggest that it is more likely that you will get less latency with ethernet than not.

I personally don't believe there is any measurable or meaningful difference with respect to latency between the two, and anecdotal evidence really doesn't convince me otherwise. So YMMV But I think if you're just trying to get better times on your first person shooter, that you may be better served investing in a GREAT wireless router (if you're connection is wireless) and/or doing the proper port forwarding and testing with the site in question. many of those sites are slammed with traffic (we get it right? they are popular after all) and it's more of a problem with their site and load than it is with that fraction of a millisecond as noted earlier.

Just my .02 cents

rtfm

join:2005-07-09
Washington, DC
reply to bsangs

Will UTP draw less power than MOCA?

I wonder if anyone has measured power consumption in MOCA mode vs the RJ45 jacks for TCP/IP.

I know someone who is concerned re: backup battery longevity. While most of the time, non-phone usage is cut off on AC fail, it appears there are times that's not the case...for example where there is no phone service; or when the customer has made it happen.

bsangs

Montclair, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to bsangs

Re: [Northeast] Will FIOS speeds change if switching from coax t

***Update***

Everything went off without a hitch. Very painless process. Strung cat 6 cable from ONT to Airport Express. (Second Airport Express connected via Bridge Mode with Cat 6 cable.) Called Verizon tech and they switched everything over the phone - took about 10 minutes. Speeds actually increased a small bit, nothing dramatic - but they didn't decrease as you guys accurately predicted. Thanks for the help.

As for the FIOS router, could I use it to extend my wireless network to the third floor? No way I'm rigging a Cat 6 cable up there, but if I can extend it wirelessly, might as well. Don't know what else to do with it.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to rtfm

Re: Will UTP draw less power than MOCA?

said by rtfm:

I wonder if anyone has measured power consumption in MOCA mode vs the RJ45 jacks for TCP/IP.

Any consumer grade router I've seen draws less than the Actiontec. I believe it is due to the power needed for MoCA chipset. It's probably fair to say the ONT draws more due to MoCA chipset as well, but it remains to be seen if the ONT draws less due to ethernet choice over MoCA.

Measuring consumption would not be easy, since the PSU/BBU combination would smooth out any changes in power draw. Best way to test would be to remove the battery so the ONT is the only load on the BBU. Rate of power used may differ by a small amount, but even less if the chipset is not disabled, merely the input source.

I think the difference would be relatively insignificant as far as battery runtime is concerned.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to rtfm

I agree with birdfeedr See Profile. I seriously doubt there is any power difference between a MOCA and a cat5 connection. For there to be any measurable difference would imply that the corresponding chip is powered down if not provisioned. IMO, unlikely.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

rtfm

join:2005-07-09
Washington, DC

said by More Fiber:

For there to be any measurable difference would imply that the corresponding chip is powered down if not provisioned. IMO, unlikely.

We know the power load drops quite a bit in battery mode; when both TCP/IP & TV are turned down. We don't know how much of that is MOCA. But based on how much outboard MOCA media converters eat.....

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by rtfm:

We know the power load drops quite a bit in battery mode;

That wasn't the question.

The question was what is the difference in power consumption between being provisioned for MOCA and being provisioned for cat5. Power usage drops significantly in battery mode because power is cut off to entire sections of the ONT. For there to be any difference between MOCA and cat5 would mean that the ONT would selectively cut off power to just the MOCA WAN chip if provisioning is changed. I can't answer that authoritatively, but IMO, the ONT does not have the level of power control to cut off just one chip.
--