spc
uniqs

hurleyp
join:2000-06-20
Ottawa, ON

hurleyp to tdot_rc

to tdot_rc

Re: [Extreme] Using Moto SB5100 with Rogers Extreme

I spoke with "Nick" at Rogers tech support. First of all, he recommended running a speed test without the router. IOW, connect your PC directly to the SB5100. Second, the speed test site he recommended www.speedtest.net gives different results from the speed tests here at DSLR.

The big thing about speedtest.net is that it will run a test from a server that it determines is physically close to you. This will, naturally enough, give an optimal result -- not necessarily a real world result. But the result it gives for me of (roughly) 30 Mbps/1Mbps is certainly in line with the "Extreme" package. And it's reporting much higher download speeds than the flash DSLR speed test reported for me. (Running the DSLR test without the router gave slightly faster results than the same test with the router. I'm not sure why, but I'll investigate when I have some spare time.)

So for me at least, I seem to be on the correct Rogers profile and I am getting very acceptable speeds with the SB5100. This is not to say Rogers has not misconfigured other people, but it does highlight the inconsistent nature of various speed tests across the Intertubes.

Do your research before calling Rogers -- it might save you some aggravation.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

This is useful ...

»Rogers HiSpeed FAQ »How can I check my Performance with Speedtests

It's important to remember that generally speaking, if you get a good On Network, or Near Network speedtest, but you get a crappy far network (and DSLR's speedtests are decidedly "far network") test, then the chances are very high that the lack of good performance has nothing to do with Rogers.

It would be like driving Toronto to Buffalo and blaming Toronto for the traffic jam going across the bridge between Fort Erie and Buffalo!

Near or on-network speedtests are for checking your actual connection speed. Far or Remote tests give you an indication of the quality of the path to remote destinations. Just remember that there are multiple paths to the same geographic area ... so your test may not give the same result as going to some other site located in same place.

bfksc
Unlimited on Vmedia
join:2011-11-22
canada

bfksc

said by sbrook:

It's important to remember that generally speaking, if you get a good On Network, or Near Network speedtest, but you get a crappy far network (and DSLR's speedtests are decidedly "far network") test, then the chances are very high that the lack of good performance has nothing to do with Rogers.

Also note that Rogers has a feature called SpeedBoost technology that can give your connection about double the download speed for the first 10MB of data you transfer during each test. SpeedTest.net gives an average speed based on peak and continuous speeds during every test, so it's not always an accurate way to measure your rated tier speeds.

To check your rated continuous speeds, use a large file like a Linux distro as mentioned and look at the download speeds after a few minutes. I have a utility called DUMeter which gives me both a grahical and numeric display showing actual speeds. I can see that my 24/1mbps connection peaks at ~51mbps for a few seconds as SpeedBoost kicks in and hums along at ~25mbps on longer downloads. This is with a DCM475 DOCSIS 3 modem. With the older SB5101 the best peak I could get was ~32mbps as the modem couldn't handle the higher speeds.

Info on SpeedBoost can be found here:

»www.rogers.com/web/conte ··· oostonsb

"SpeedBoost™ detects when there is available bandwidth on the network and automatically provides a temporary burst of speed for the first 10 MB of a download or stream - so content loads faster."
Fuzzy Dunlop
join:2011-02-07
Toronto, ON

Fuzzy Dunlop to hurleyp

to hurleyp
said by hurleyp:

So for me at least, I seem to be on the correct Rogers profile and I am getting very acceptable speeds with the SB5100. This is not to say Rogers has not misconfigured other people, but it does highlight the inconsistent nature of various speed tests across the Intertubes.

Are you on High Speed Extreme? If so you are not getting the speeds you're paying for, so long as you have a DOCSIS 2 modem. The issue for me was never about speed as much as it was/is about principle; namely, that Rogers is treating new customers on the same tier (i.e. people who rented/bought a DOCSIS 3 gateway) differently than old customers. DOCSIS 2 Extreme+ customers on grandfathered plans should have been notified of the need to get a new modem to receive the increased speeds, been offered incentives to upgrade, and/or had their rates reduced to reflect to reflect the reduced level of service offered by the grandfathered plans. Rogers never notified me of the change in service. On the contrary, the CSR told me that it was "my responsibility" to remain up-to-date on changes to Rogers' service plans.

hurleyp
join:2000-06-20
Ottawa, ON

hurleyp

said by Fuzzy Dunlop:

Are you on High Speed Extreme? If so you are not getting the speeds you're paying for, so long as you have a DOCSIS 2 modem. The issue for me was never about speed as much as it was/is about principle; namely, that Rogers is treating new customers on the same tier (i.e. people who rented/bought a DOCSIS 3 gateway) differently than old customers. DOCSIS 2 Extreme+ customers on grandfathered plans should have been notified of the need to get a new modem to receive the increased speeds, been offered incentives to upgrade, and/or had their rates reduced to reflect to reflect the reduced level of service offered by the grandfathered plans. Rogers never notified me of the change in service. On the contrary, the CSR told me that it was "my responsibility" to remain up-to-date on changes to Rogers' service plans.

Yes, I am on High Speed Extreme (not extreme "plus"). For the moment I am reasonably satisfied with my service even though I still have questions about the "real world" speeds. Note too that I purchased the modem in 2004, making the modem the oldest piece of hardware I have in active use. Since *I* own the modem, it is not unreasonable for Rogers to expect me to keep up to date (or not), even if they are not always entirely clear on the technical details. Modem rental customers might be treated differently.