spc
uniqs
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to Phibian

to Phibian

Re: [DSL] Cellpipe random reboots / loss of sync (Check logs ple

said by Phibian:

Right but given the (ever increasing) number of people with this issue and that TSI is paying Bell for these surely there are ways of telling Bell that this is not acceptable. I mean especially given that Bell is providing different (working) firmware for their own customers perhaps this could even be taken to the CRTC.

Go read Bell's forum, Bell's own subscribers are complaining about modem reboots there too so this issue is not unique to wholesale.

Phibian
join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Sure they are reporting a few issues here and there but I don't see anything with the kind of consistency that we are seeing nor anything that completely rules out other issues (user error, config issues, etc). The problematic firmware appears to be unique to wholesale customers and is so bad that it makes the problems the Bell users are reporting sound like a day at the beach. This coupled with Bell's mixed messages on admitting that there is/is not a issue smells fishy to me.

But as I've said before I'm just frustrated and want some working modems already.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by Phibian:

The problematic firmware appears to be unique to wholesale customers and is so bad that it makes the problems the Bell users are reporting sound like a day at the beach.

Or it could just be that the average Bell subscriber does not come to DSLR to discuss reboot issues and take their problem directly to Bell while the average wholesale subscriber likely learned about their current wholesale ISP here, comes here for support with it and is therefore far more likely to post about problems here, which makes the whole thing biased and feeling like the issue is more frequent on wholesale even though both are actually evenly affected.
said by Phibian:

This coupled with Bell's mixed messages on admitting that there is/is not a issue smells fishy to me.

Considering the number of issues the Cellpipe has that affect different subsets of subscribers in different ways depending on circumstances, I would say there are too many variables and too much inconsistency to draw conclusions.

For all we know, a large chunk of those "firmware glitches" might actually be caused by bad power adapters... my ST516 used to lose sync at the slightest power sag/spike and after I added an over-sized external LC filter between the brick and modem, the reboots/loss-of-sync stopped and I gained 3dB SNRM.

Phibian
join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

I suspect that you are right that wholesale customers are quite likely to call in instead of posting on DSLR and it is certainly possible that Bell customers are having widespread issues.

All I know is that the cellpipe with the problem firmware doesn't work and is what wholesale customers get. There is another firmware that does work (same hardware including PS) and it is what the Bell techs carry around. That sounds like a firmware bug that is exclusive to wholesale market. Sure the other firmware versions (beyond these two) may have issues as well. I can't speak to those. Sure the sagemcom may have issues too. Again I don't know. The anecdotal evidence is that it at least works better than the defective firmware version of the cellpipe.

Sure there may be other problems too but right now all I can do is focus on the lowest common denominator. Once I get a modem that doesn't reboot for fun I may find other issues but I can't really even begin to look at those without getting the reboot issue fixed first.

Honestly this isn't just about me either. There have got to be thousands of these things out there and most of the customers who have the things probably just think that their wholesaler sucks and will eventually get sick of their internet being flaky and try switching to another provider. That sucks for the wholesalers as it isn't their fault. It sucks for the customers as they get terrible internet. It sucks for Bell because they have a problem that they can't even find and in the long run it will probably end up costing them a lot of money to solve, fix and replace all the defective units. Someone, somewhere messed up big time with this firmware.
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7 to InvalidError

to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

said by Phibian:

Right but given the (ever increasing) number of people with this issue and that TSI is paying Bell for these surely there are ways of telling Bell that this is not acceptable. I mean especially given that Bell is providing different (working) firmware for their own customers perhaps this could even be taken to the CRTC.

Go read Bell's forum, Bell's own subscribers are complaining about modem reboots there too so this issue is not unique to wholesale.

You sure it's the same problem? Also, I'm sure there's more people getting the Sagemcom then the Cellpipe.