join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5 to firedrakes

Premium Member

to firedrakes
said by firedrakes:

they do love to lie alot

They didn't lie at all. Right in their blog entry they talk about it including their WiFi network. It isin't their fault if people can't read or understand the terms.
»www.attinnovationspace.c ··· 185975=1

Only thing out of sorts here is Tim Farrar at TMF Associates who proceeds to knock down a strawman he set up. AT&T never claimed in the blog post these numbers were the same as cellphone data numbers. He accuses AT&T of trying to deceive everyone (without any proof) and then attacks AT&T for trying to fool him.

Alex J
@ecatel.net

Alex J

Anon

You're the one not reading that after admitting growth was slower than they had predicted, they included Wi-Fi to keep the numbers high.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

1 recommendation

ITALIAN926 to firedrakes

to firedrakes
How is it that if AT%T claims that data consumption is climbing 40% per year, its an exxageration, and is insignificant according to this website. If a study comes out that .05% people cut the cord this year, its a huge deal , and is headlines on this site twice a week? lol

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to Alex J

Premium Member

to Alex J
Well it isn't lying, it's just marketing doublespeak meant to fool users who aren't very knowledgeable on the subject. It's the same as talking really fast while having the details in ultra small print.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to FFH5

to FFH5
you can't count wi-fi. My smartphone has wi-fi I use that instead of my data so I don't use up all my data allotment and go over. If I had to rely on cell data only I would use less.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Well it is deceitful, as it's clearly marketing doublespeak. In the same breath, keeping up with how fast things are going up in use with both cell phone and wifi would be a good thing, as you can build out (at&t build out, LOL) with that in mind. However, this piece gives no distinction on the two, and I would have to agree with the article, no matter how slanted it is, that this is a deceitful articule written to gain support from dumb politicians.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by Metatron2008:

Well it is deceitful, as it's clearly marketing doublespeak. In the same breath, keeping up with how fast things are going up in use with both cell phone and wifi would be a good thing, as you can build out (at&t build out, LOL) with that in mind. However, this piece gives no distinction on the two, and I would have to agree with the article, no matter how slanted it is, that this is a deceitful articule written to gain support from dumb politicians.

The whole reason for the existence of marketing departments is to put lipstick on a pig. Politicians are in the same exact business. I truly doubt any politicians are fooled by things put out by marketing departments.

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios

they dont have to be
but they will say any thing you want them to for the right price

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Well yeah, bullshit articles without tons of cash under the table wouldn't fake a prostitute politician...
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by Metatron2008:

The whole reason for the existence of marketing departments is to put lipstick on a pig. Politicians are in the same exact business. I truly doubt any politicians are fooled by things put out by marketing departments.

Well then you don't know how politics works. The politicians have almost nothing to do with the data or bills. They spend their time drumming up campaign support. It's their young and inexperienced staffers, often with very little knowledge or understanding of the intrinsic issues, who the lobbyists meet with and are "taught" the new data. Those staffers then make recommendations to their bosses. So AT&T has a vested interest to convey their position.

Thus AT&T doesn't obfuscate and lie for the fun of it. They do it because it gets results, in large part because our political system is utterly broken.
sonicmerlin

sonicmerlin to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

How is it that if AT%T claims that data consumption is climbing 40% per year, its an exxageration, and is insignificant according to this website. If a study comes out that .05% people cut the cord this year, its a huge deal , and is headlines on this site twice a week? lol

Technology advances. Landline growth has been growing 30% annually for the last decade, but bandwidth has grown cheaper even faster than consumption has increased. This is part of the reason capex has been steadily decreasing the last few years among the ISP monopolies/duopolies.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to sonicmerlin

Premium Member

to sonicmerlin
said by sonicmerlin:

said by FFH5:

said by Metatron2008:

Well then you don't know how politics works. The politicians have almost nothing to do with the data or bills. They spend their time drumming up campaign support. It's their young and inexperienced staffers, often with very little knowledge or understanding of the intrinsic issues, who the lobbyists meet with and are "taught" the new data. Those staffers then make recommendations to their bosses. So AT&T has a vested interest to convey their position.

Thus AT&T doesn't obfuscate and lie for the fun of it. They do it because it gets results, in large part because our political system is utterly broken.

No I think the post previous to yours sums up the reality very well:
»Re: thats att for you

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by firedrakes:

they do love to lie alot

They didn't lie at all. Right in their blog entry they talk about it including their WiFi network. It isin't their fault if people can't read or understand the terms.
»www.attinnovationspace.c ··· 185975=1

Who gives a sh*t about 3G and 4G then when you can just offload your customers to WiFi?

Just convert all your customers to EDGE and when they want faster speeds, offload them to WiFi.

nycnetwork
join:2000-11-12
Brooklyn, NY

nycnetwork to Alex J

to Alex J
Wait, so AT&T is claiming that increased smartphone sales trigger huge growth in wireless data... wait... didn't they sell those phones, collected money, and are also getting monthly at least $70+ per pop ?
WTF?! Where did that money go? Did they use any of that for network upgrades or those corporate pigs are pocketing it alowng with our $36 upgrade fees? Why not predicting issues, upgrading it accordingly and in advance or if they can't accept more subscribers, STOP OFFERING SUBSCRIPTIONS!!!!
If they can't provide me with the service I signed up for, and I kept using my phone the same way as two years ago, then I want my money back, and no ETF.
WTF?! GREED MUCH?!

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA

fuziwuzi to firedrakes

Premium Member

to firedrakes
How can you tell when AT&T is lying? They exist. Today's AT&T was built on lies and deception, it is their lifeblood, their SOP.

unforgiven
@myvzw.com

unforgiven to Metatron2008

Anon

to Metatron2008
Sorry, but doublespeak is lying. But I do agree, they lie in order to fool the ignorant and the stupid alike.