spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

medlinroad

@direcpc.com

[Cable] cost of underground install

I currently have DirecTV/Hughes.net and have for about 12 years while living in this area. I live in a rural area that just put in TWC down our road 2 months ago. My house is 3 years old and at the time of building it we did not have DSL - and I assume we still do not have it available.
At my business in the city limits (Monroe, NC) we have TWC. I would really like the speed to use at home as well as not having to deal with the "Fair Use" bandwidth limitations I have now with Hughesnet. We are already on a higher level plan, but with 4 people in the house using it at once we need something more.
So we had TWC come out and measure. On the phone the lady said she "thought" the first 1,000 ft was free and then $18.00 thereafter. The guy measured approx 1,800 ft of drive to the house and he guesstimated $7,000 -9,000 to put the line in the ground but we'd get a written extimate in a few days.
Frankly, this was WAY more than I was expecting. I know our phone line was installed underground free and the electric was less than $2,000.00 at the time we built our house.
Is there any way to go less-expensive or get a better deal to get this cable installed? I was assuming that it would run closer to the cost of what the electric line did. We have no plan to ever move from this house but I don't really see it as an investment because I know in a few years technology will change & this will all be redundant.
Thanks for the advice in advance!

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY
Click for full size
download1829BC.pdf 97,438 bytes
I uploaded the Belden 1829BC spec sheet for your consideration. It's approved for direct bury (which means no conduit required), has a decent loss ratio per 1000 feet, has a solid copper conductor, and a freq/loss range that is considerably better than that required by current HDTV. If you shop around, you can get it in bulk (1000' spool) from $110 plus freight.

Next, see if there's a local rental (or contractor) that has a 4" self-propelled trencher. Take the spec sheet to the TWC office and ask them if it's suitable to them. Then ask them if you had a private contractor cut a trench - and you ran the cable - if they'd do the connect work on both ends.

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1010H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 8/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

DJ
Premium
join:2001-06-13
Opelika, AL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Knology
said by grohgreg:

Ihas a decent loss ratio per 1000 feet, has a solid copper conductor, and a freq/loss range that is considerably better than that required by current HDTV.

You're reading the specs wrong, those ratings are per 100 ft. That's standard RG6 burial cable, there's no way it could carry a signal 1,800 ft.

Most cable plants run @ 750MHz, so the approximate signal loss would be 108dB @ 1,800 ft. There would be nothing on that cable once it hit his house.

That distance would require hardline cable with at least one line extender (amplifier). Not cheap by any means.

news

@videotron.ca

rjgogo

join:2003-10-22
reply to medlinroad
Why don't you look for a WISP in your area. Wireless internet service provider. I too was on Hughesnet for a couple of years but they built a new tower and I now use a wireless terrestrial service. Speeds are nothing like cable but way better latency and faster than Hughes and no caps.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY

1 edit
said by rjgogo:

Why don't you look for a WISP in your area.

Well, except for folks with more money than sense, a satellite connection can represent a substantial investment. I'd like to think that those with more sense than money at least exhaust all efforts at obtaining broadband BEFORE having to resort to satellite

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1010H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 8/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

rjgogo

join:2003-10-22
I am confused with your reply, I had Hughes and a better solution presented itself. WISP is a terrestrial service, NOT Satellite and I am now paying half of what I was for Hughes with no caps.

Again a WISP is broadband that is land based and fairly inexpensive with low latency. I went from 800ms to 40ms latency on average and 2Mbit speeds

I am proposing a solution that is much better and cheaper that Hughes and does not require an expensive long cable run. Many people don't know this service exists.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_I···provider

Storm97
Premium
join:2003-04-14
Evanston, WY
Reviews:
·All West Communi..
said by rjgogo:

Again a WISP is broadband that is land based and fairly inexpensive with low latency. I went from 800ms to 40ms latency on average and 2Mbit speeds

Concur... Allwest has a WISP setup here that is based off their fiber setup in town specifically for those residents who live outside their fiiber footprint, but would like their internet services. Bridger Valley Electric (local power company) also provides a WISP to most all residents in Mountain View, Lyman, and Fort Bridger and it's a very viable service. WAY faster than Hughesnet or Wild Blue and a fraction of the cost.
--
Words of advice for today... "Be Happy, Drink Coffee, Drive Safe!"

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

Dawson Springs, KY
reply to rjgogo
said by rjgogo:

I am confused

And I agree. So I'll rephrase: anybody who doesn't check for alternative broadband availability (like WISP) before investing in a satellite connection - seemingly has more money than sense.

//greg//
--