uniqs
share rss forum feed

junkmail2002

join:2011-07-07
Richmond Hill, ON
reply to Old Martin

Re: Teksavvy Cable - Connection Dropping every 4-8 Hours

Martin,

If you guys are really interested in collecting more examples, and it sounds like there are quite a few, why don't you open a master ticket, post the info on your web site and in your IVR.

Create a special queue for people whose link is dropping like ours, and create the triage process to filter out other issues. This would be more efficient for all involved and would give you the ammo you need to go after Rogers - if this is what you are looking for.

That would be the correct way to collect more information.

Instead, you have an intermittent problem, which some folks may not report at all and it gets triaged with all of the other unrelated issues in an inefficient manner. Hardly the best way to collect the information you are looking for.

junkmail2002

Richmond Hill, ON
reply to junkmail2002

So the connection dropped again yesterday and I was right next to the modem to confirm the lights were cycling... so I send a follow up to tech support, just to keep them updated and let them know the problem is still there... and this is the response I get today:

-----

Hello,

The following we got from rogers,

The modem is online and within specifications. I do not believe a technician is required for this issue.

Please let us know the status about your connection and if you have any further problem please let us know,

Regards,
TSI_Dave

----

Really :-(. I thought Teksavvy was better than that.

I wonder if Dave actually read the ticket to understand the issue. Again, going back to troubleshooting this effectively... it's not a run of the mill problem, it's intermittent, it's widespread. Teksavvy needs to put a special team on this, not just average Joes (or Daves) who are obviously just going through motions without understanding how to troubleshoot something like this.

Pharaoh11

join:2011-02-01
Toronto, ON

1 edit
reply to junkmail2002
Not actually surprised the party line now is basically that.

Its either your modem is working fine or its your modems fault.

Never goes beyond that now to actually find out whats actually going on.
Tunnel vision is seriously going on as you can do everything they asked as i did and it still gets blamed on the modem even when you rule that out.

Its no wonder things aren't getting fixed.

Its not to say a modems firmware can't make it more susceptible but something else is clearly going on here.

AtomicVGZ

join:2011-10-03
Orleans, ON
reply to junkmail2002
My connection seems to be dropping every day at the same time, 9:55 PM ET.

junkmail2002

Richmond Hill, ON
reply to junkmail2002
Just got another reply:

---

Hello,

Is there a way we can test with a different modem perhaps? this could be a possible modem issue, please let us know if we could test a different modem,

Regards,
TSI_Dave

---

And my response:

By all means - If you guys are willing to send me a different modem to try, I would be more than happy to replace the existing modem and test the new one.

Tones

@teksavvy.com
+1 - I'm at bay and blood in Toronto and have daily ip address drops too.

Pharaoh11

Toronto, ON
reply to junkmail2002
said by junkmail2002:

Just got another reply:

---

Hello,

Is there a way we can test with a different modem perhaps? this could be a possible modem issue, please let us know if we could test a different modem,

Regards,
TSI_Dave

---

And my response:

By all means - If you guys are willing to send me a different modem to try, I would be more than happy to replace the existing modem and test the new one.

I did test with a dcm 475 with firmware 2.16 and guess what.
It made not one bit of difference.

Of course its still the modems fault and they seem to completely disregard the fact that it was ruled out.

milkk

join:2012-02-19
North York, ON
reply to milkk
Connection has been pretty stable since last night. The modem only cycled twice that I know of so far which is good.

junkmail2002

Richmond Hill, ON
reply to Pharaoh11
well it sounds like they will be sending me another modem, so I will let you know.

Tweaker_101

join:2011-07-12
Ottawa, ON
reply to Pharaoh11
Well add me to the long list of Teksavvy customers having cable modem "reboot" issues. (Dropped line I assume?).
I'm in Ottawa, this problem seems to have started in the past month or two? Never an issue before.
btw: I signed up with Teksavvy and bought my Thomson DCM475 in late June 2011.

I got to this site via search engines and based on the number of results, this sure seems to be a wide spread problem. It would seem highly unlikely that so many peoples' modems are all failing in such numbers. All we are looking for is answers here. I've been very pleased with Teksavvy & have recommended them, however my one criticism is lack of customer communication/support. Went through hoops to get here.
** I like the idea of a "Master Ticket" as Pharaoh11 suggested.**

PS: How can I tell what firmware version I have? (If it even matters). I'll be following this thread closely... TY!

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
said by Tweaker_101:

I've been very pleased with Teksavvy & have recommended them, however my one criticism is lack of customer communication/support. Went through hoops to get here.

PS: How can I tell what firmware version I have? (If it even matters). I'll be following this thread closely... TY!

Welcome to the Teksavvy forum here on DSLr, glad you found it. Reading around and using the forum search will help you to narrow down the how to's and so on and yes sooner or later someone else with the same modem you have will fill you in on details about how to check your line stats and get to your modem's GUI page.

For more direct interaction with TSI staff, you can PM TSI Martin or leave your questions/queries on the TSI secure forum here: »TekSavvy Direct and be a bit patient for a response.

Regulars on here are quite active so likely you'll bump into someone day or night that might give you a leg up. Cheers
--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.
-Motorola SB6120-1.0.6.1 + Netgear RangeMax WNDR3700v1 + Dupont POI + eXtreme Cable Pr0

schnauz

join:2007-12-10
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Start Communicat..
reply to Tweaker_101
I'm on my 3rd day without a modem reboot now, hopefully Rogers has stopped tinkering with whatever they were tinkering with. Not holding my breath on it though, and peak speeds are definitely becoming an issue in the last few weeks too (4-5Mb in the evening).

Pharaoh11

Toronto, ON
reply to Tweaker_101
said by Tweaker_101:

Well add me to the long list of Teksavvy customers having cable modem "reboot" issues. (Dropped line I assume?).
I'm in Ottawa, this problem seems to have started in the past month or two? Never an issue before.
btw: I signed up with Teksavvy and bought my Thomson DCM475 in late June 2011.

I got to this site via search engines and based on the number of results, this sure seems to be a wide spread problem. It would seem highly unlikely that so many peoples' modems are all failing in such numbers. All we are looking for is answers here. I've been very pleased with Teksavvy & have recommended them, however my one criticism is lack of customer communication/support. Went through hoops to get here.

Open your browser of choice and go to »192.168.100.1

At the top software version is what firmware you got..either 2.08 or 2.16

Like schnauz i noticed a drastic drop in modem resets so it seems someone actually start paying attention and no just blaming the modem for all the issues.

Have noticed the power of the 8 bonded channels has dropped from around 5 to less then four.

Pharaoh11

Toronto, ON
reply to junkmail2002
Still haven't seen a reset today.

Tweaker_101

Ottawa, ON
reply to Pharaoh11
Thank you very much. Looks like it's firmware v2.08
(I thought that Teksavvy did auto-upgrades to firmware?).

Not sure what you mean by the power of the 8 bonded channels.
but here is what my 8 channels show:

Cable Signal Details
Forward Path:
Channel Frequency Power SNR BER Modulation
1 591.0 MHz 12.3 dBmV 38.5 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
2 597.0 MHz 12.3 dBmV 38.2 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
3 603.0 MHz 12.6 dBmV 38.4 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
4 609.0 MHz 12.7 dBmV 38.4 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
5 615.0 MHz 13.2 dBmV 38.3 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
6 621.0 MHz 12.9 dBmV 38.0 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
7 633.0 MHz 12.2 dBmV 37.5 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM
8 639.0 MHz 12.0 dBmV 37.8 dB 0.000 % 256 QAM

In any event, modem status is operational and I have not seen a reboot for the first time today. The event log showed previous errors but all ok now. My loss of synch usually happened when remote computing or using VPN.

(With some bias I will admit), I suspect the problem was probably with Rogers. :/

PS: Got a promo flyer from them today with their promise of HIGH SPEEDS and an awesome 60 Gig limit. LOL

Thanks again for your assistance. I can see that i'm in a good forum.

PureStyle

join:2009-04-04
Hmm I am thinking about calling in (again), wondering what would a tech have me do this time.

Connection drops are becoming unacceptable.

junkmail2002

Richmond Hill, ON
reply to junkmail2002
I had a couple of resets yesterday. Meanwhile I got the new modem, I will be trying it today to see if it makes a difference.

Pharaoh11

Toronto, ON
said by junkmail2002:

I had a couple of resets yesterday. Meanwhile I got the new modem, I will be trying it today to see if it makes a difference.

Had two myself which is less then normaly happens now so its wait and see if things get better.

Hopefully the modem helps you as i suspect though the modem isn't the root cause the firmware may be making it more suspectable to whats wrong with the network.

junkmail2002

Richmond Hill, ON
reply to junkmail2002
The new modem is in place as of 4 PM EST... so let's see

Pharaoh11

Toronto, ON
reply to junkmail2002
Interesting the more power they push down the forward path the more resets the modems get.
But if kept between 3 and 4 there seems to be no resets.

Fluky timing? or rogers messing about?

Pharaoh11

Toronto, ON
reply to junkmail2002
Yup something clearly changed.

Had only one reset yesterday and the same thing the day before and both at night when mode power levels on the forward stream when up.

May have something to do with the new speeds or the fact that it seems much more stable when forward path power levels remain between 3-4.

bfung

join:2012-02-24
Markham, ON
reply to junkmail2002
For those who tried the new modems.. did they fix the connection drops or are you still having problems?

Pharaoh11

Toronto, ON
said by bfung:

For those who tried the new modems.. did they fix the connection drops or are you still having problems?

I tried a modem with the newer 2.16 firmware and it made no difference.
There may be a actually regrading the older firmware but its also been blamed for too many of the disconnect issues going on .

They got over focused on that and didn't bother to see if something else was going on which is clearly the case.

For some it may help to change the modem for one with newer firmware but its likely not going to fix the larger issue.

Upside is that something is going on since my resets have dropped way down.
Either its now being worked on or its due to the upgrades going on now with the profiles thats helping is anyones guess.

bfung

join:2012-02-24
Markham, ON
Did they open a ticket for Rogers to check your line for any interference? I'm assuming my problem is originating from that however I can't open a ticket until I check my modem -_-

Pharaoh11

Toronto, ON
said by bfung:

Did they open a ticket for Rogers to check your line for any interference? I'm assuming my problem is originating from that however I can't open a ticket until I check my modem -_-

They didn't bother kept blaming it on the modem and couldn't get passed that even when the modem was ruled out.

Too much tunnel vision and not enough testing.

hockeynomad

join:2007-06-19
Mississauga, ON
reply to junkmail2002
I have been having intermittent internet issues since Feb 14.

Northwest mississauga

junkmail2002

Richmond Hill, ON
reply to junkmail2002
Sorry folks. I haven't spent much time at the computer so I can't tell whether it made a difference yet. I will probably be able to provide more feedback Tomorrow.

It seems, like there are fewer drops. I can't say it stopped completely, in fact I pretty certain there were at least one or two over the last three days, but I wasn't near the modem to confirm. I am going give it a few more days.

Tweaker_101

Ottawa, ON
I'm in Ottawa and unfortunately, I have to report that the dropped connections and (modem reboot) have been back since Friday. Getting at least 3 or 4 per day. Just had one less than an hour ago. It almost looks as if these occur either during "rush hour" peak traffic times or when using a lot of bandwidth such as remote viewing, VPN teleconference etc...

Is it possible that Rogers is in breach of contract and "throttling or shaping" traffic to it's independent ISPs? Even if unsuccessful it might still trigger this widespread problem. This is pure speculation, but, I find the timing of these interruptions is often during heavy usage.

One thing I do know for sure is that speeds and stability are way down. Even without connection drops, I find the internet now "hangs" more & more even when just reading e-mails or using Facebook. Food for thought. This problem is NOT resolved.

ag101

join:2011-08-31
L1P 0A9
reply to junkmail2002
Recently been having the same problems for about a week now.. It's really getting on my nerves.

Located in Whitby.

dcshoes23

join:2012-03-01
Mississauga, ON
reply to junkmail2002
I am experiencing a lot of connection drops as well. On Friday it went down at least 5 times. This is extremely frustrating and makes me seriously consider switching Internet providers.

I'm located in northwest Mississauga