Premium Member
join:2010-07-03

TwighlightLA to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike

Re: [Snow] Chrome on OS X having a "fit."

said by Mike:

Two things to amuse me.

1. Easiest - close the windows until the program is left, then quit the program. relaunch. how many windows?

2. Second easiest from Chrome - cmd-, (chrome - preferences).
Basics settings "On Startup" what is loading? Any hidden lines?

1. Chrome opens normally.

2. I don't think I understand what you are asking for #2. Doing what I think you seek I just get the basic preference menu.

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium Member
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT

ctgreybeard

Premium Member

If you go to Chrome->Settings what do you have checked for On Startup? I have Open The Following Pages and it lists several pages and that's what I see every time I start Chrome.

If you have that selected and it lists those three pages then that's what you will see. If you don't like that then select a different option.

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium Member
join:2011-06-11

OZZY7 to TwighlightLA

Premium Member

to TwighlightLA
Click for full size
said by TwighlightLA:

2. I don't think I understand what you are asking for #2. Doing what I think you seek I just get the basic preference menu.

Like this...

TwighlightLA
Premium Member

TwighlightLA

Premium Member

It's set to open just the homepage. Nothing else.

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium Member

OZZY7

Premium Member

What happens if you clear the cache? Or, does it still happen if you clear the cache?

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer to TwighlightLA

Premium Member

to TwighlightLA
As OZZY said, you need to clear the cache. Every time I close Chrome, I then click on Chrome on the top left and choose 'Clear Browsing Data' from the drop-down menu. I then check everything, and then click on the button that says 'Clear Browsing Data'. Then I close Chrome.

When you open Chrome again, it should just open to your home page.

TwighlightLA
Premium Member

TwighlightLA

Premium Member

Thanks to all but none of the suggestions solve the problem. Keep in mind this is a spontaneously appearing problem on a browser and OS that's been together for a long time without this happening. It's only been the past week that the issue has appeared.

I'll just play with it and find a solution or if I'm not happy just dump chrome.

Also keep in mind that the two extra tabs/windows/are for setting up or creating new accounts or install of applications for WOT and Last Pass both of which have been on Chrome and are fully functional for a long time.

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium Member

OZZY7

Premium Member

Sounds like a Last Pass and WOT problem, more than a Chrome problem.

Are there WOT and LP extensions for Chrome that you're using? If so, what happens if you disable them and restart Chrome?

TwighlightLA
Premium Member

TwighlightLA

Premium Member

Naturally. If I disable them the problem goes away. But so does the WOT and the Last Pass both of which are needed, especially the Last Pass. So what's the point.

Again, NOTHING HAS BEEN ADDED OR CHANGED IN SETTINGS OR ANYTHING else prior to this problem spontaneously appearing.

Sorry to be snippy but I just needed to vent while pointing out what I think is relevant. Apologies venting.

All that has FUNCTIONALLY changed is now Chrome when opening does not recognize that Last Pass and WOT are both fully installed and operational. Instead of the two extra windows are to set up the extensions as if they have never been configured.

Thanks.

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium Member

OZZY7

Premium Member

It's cool, fire away. Yell all you want!

What happens if you just turn off the WOT extension? Or, just the LP extension?

What happens, if you delete LP and WOT extensions and re-install them?

What version of Chrome?

TwighlightLA
Premium Member

TwighlightLA

Premium Member

Latest version of Chrome. I just updated today. The problem I am describing just started several days ago. So today when I first decided to see if I could resolve it before posting I checked to see if I had the latest Chrome. I did not. So I successfully updated to latest version but it had no effect on the problem.

I'll think about the LP and WOT uninstall and reinstall tomorrow.

FF is my default browser on my Mac and IE on my PC. I also have Safari on the Mac. If I eventually cannot fix or be emotionally be satisfied with Chrome's problem I'll just dump it from the Mac.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer to TwighlightLA

Premium Member

to TwighlightLA
I had the same problem with WOT when using Safari.....And still do at times. I don't really know how to fix it with Safari. I thought what I mentioned would fix it. Wish I could help further.

One thought.....You could try running OnyX for SL. It is entirely up to you. It cleans out all caches if you choose the automation tab. I have run it many times with both SL and with Lion and never had a problem. There is always the possibility that it can bork your system, but that possibility is small. As I said, I have ran it on both my machines tens of times. If you want to take a look, you can find it for SL at »www.macupdate.com/app/ma ··· 582/onyx

Note: Download the correct version at the bottom under Related Links for Snow Leopard. DO NOT download the version at the top, as that is for Lion.

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium Member

OZZY7 to TwighlightLA

Premium Member

to TwighlightLA
Going with what lordpuffer See Profile has to say. I'd lean towards blaming the WOT extension. It's a Mac, just go wherever you want. I do. Don't need no stinkin WOT.

TwighlightLA
Premium Member

TwighlightLA

Premium Member

I find WOT a valuable tool not to warn me from going to certain sites but rather in identifying sites whose information or "offers" and "deals" have been shown by numerous previous users to be false. Without that little tidbit one would not have any overt positive reason to disbelieve or mistrust what was state in what appeared to be straightforward and honestly. It also helps in a search list of sites to pick out the five good sites from the other five "bad" sites.
TwighlightLA

TwighlightLA to OZZY7

Premium Member

to OZZY7
Well I'm done. It's not fixable.

It can't be the WOT or Last Pass extensions because they have been there for a long time and it just started several days ago doing it. Nevertheless, I updated to the newest Chrome and the problem remains.

I've cleared the cache completely. Several times. Same problem.

Browser is set to open ONLY home page and Last Pass and WOT ain't it. The home page does load, and then the WOT and Last Pass.

When the problem started several days ago I checked my version of Chrome and it was not the newest. First thing I did was update to the latest version of Chrome.

I've played with the cookies of WOT and Last Pass to both either allow or block them with my cookie control program. No affect.

By the way I highly recommend Cookie Stumbler as an awesome cookie control program. Super efficient, super fast, super easy, and wipes all the "bad" cookies or allows you to selectively keep any of them you want. Wipes all cookies and all places on your computer, no matter how many browsers you have or whether or not they are open or closed. From the time you click to start the process to scan, clean and close its about 30 seconds.

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium Member

OZZY7

Premium Member

Have you disabled WOT only and seen if it still happens? If you haven't you can't say it's not WOT.

Buggy extensions are buggy extensions. It has nothing to do with the browser. And just because an extension works perfectly fine with Firefox doesn't mean it's not buggy on Chrome or Safari, and vice versa.

TwighlightLA
Premium Member

TwighlightLA

Premium Member

I disagree. If I disable the extension for either WOT or Last Pass then those extra windows do not open up with the opening of Chrome. (I noted that earlier I believe.) Nothing as changed been downloaded, etc. Just the behavior has changed.

But...its the same WOT and the same Last Pass extensions that have all ways been there. It only just started its spontaneous irritating action several days ago.

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium Member

OZZY7

Premium Member

Well, then it's clear to me that those two extensions don't play well together after a Chrome update or two. They either need to fix the extensions, working with each other or it makes the browser unusable for you. Too bad.

TwighlightLA
Premium Member

1 recommendation

TwighlightLA

Premium Member

Thanks for all of your input and attempting to help me resolve the problem. It is just as likely that one day it will go away as magically as it appeared. Thank goodness it doesn't affect my default browser FF or Safari either.

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium Member

OZZY7

Premium Member

Sorry I couldn't help. I use Chrome beta as my default browser and have for awhile. I'm generally happy with it. I do have to use Firefox at times as Chrome just isn't as rock solid stable as far as the way it handles certain web pages. This is probably due to some of the flags I've set in Chrome.

I'll say that Chrome support is a joke. Nothing like all the solid resources for Mozilla. It's too bad.