Plainfield, IN

[OS X] Mountain Lion coming this summer

»www.apple.com/macosx/mountain-lion/

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

By default, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) will only allow applications to be installed from the App Store. I guess the only question is in 10.9, will it not be allowed, or will it simply void your warranty?
--
Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Islamic religion?

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to rugby

Wow,….

I’m just getting used to OS X Lion,….

Can’t wait,…

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to rugby

I hope there will be some separate media when it comes out to do a fresh install. I installed Lion over SL, and then finally did a fresh install, and the difference was huge.

However, following the tails of Lion (a little pun), probably will be the same, only downloadable from the App Store.
--
PR is back in town

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to Cabal

said by Cabal:

By default, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) will only allow applications to be installed from the App Store. I guess the only question is in 10.9, will it not be allowed, or will it simply void your warranty?

If I cannot use certain Apps that are not in the App Store, I'll stick with Lion. I cannot live without Vox.
--
PR is back in town

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
reply to Octavean

said by Octavean:

just getting used to OS X Lion...

I still miss Snow Leopard...

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

1 recommendation

reply to rugby

Daring Fireball has an interesting write up.

»daringfireball.net/2012/02/mountain_lion

Highlights, tighter integration with iCloud, Apple is going with an annual release cycle for OS X.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to haroldo

I think could be "Snow Leopard, part 2".

Apple seems to be doing the microsoft rotation of upgrades as every other OS is junk. (10.3, 10.5, 10.7)

haroldo

united state
reply to rugby

Hate to sound negative and I'm sure (or at least I hope) the final product will have a bunch of new stuff, but this looks like they're only interested in eliminating the different look and feel from OS X and iOS. If so, I hope it doesn't cost too much (like $20 or less).
Otherwise..."where's the beef?"

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to Cabal

said by Cabal:

Wrong, by default it allows Mac App Store programs and signed 3rd party apps. You can lower that to allowing any app if desired. I would expect most major software companies will partake in this free program and it won't be a problem.
--
Check out my site: »web.mac.com/jwsmiths

Play Mafia!: »Pub Games

AlexNYC

join:2001-06-02
Edwards, CO
reply to rugby

Just to clarify according the article that Riamen See Profile linked above:

Im interested to see how developer support for Mac App Store-only features plays out. Two big ones: iCloud document storage and Notification Center. Both of these are slated only for third-party apps from the Mac App Store. Many developers, though, have been maintaining non-Mac App Store versions of their apps. If this continues, such apps are going to lose feature parity between the App Store and non-App Store versions. Apple is not taking the Mac in iOSs all apps must come through the App Store direction, but theyre certainly encouraging developers to go Mac App Store-only with iCloud features that are only available to Mac App Store apps (and, thus, which have gone through the App Store approval process).

AlexNYC

Edwards, CO
reply to Cabal

said by Cabal:

That assumption is incorrect. You could install Apps just as you have so far. Certain iCloud features will only be available for Apps sold through the AppStore.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to rugby

Jeez Apple, time to come up with a new naming scheme...
--
GO LEAFS GO!

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Cabal

said by Cabal:

Guess I won't be upgrading then.

If that's the case, F.U. Apple. I won't be buying anymore products.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

SychoSly
Scoot the World
Premium
join:2004-01-22
Mount Prospect, IL
reply to rugby

It will most likley be a service pack release:

Leopard > Snow Leopard

Lion > Mountain Lion

10.9 will most likely be a full fledged release.
--
~Sly

AlexNYC

Edwards, CO
reply to J E F F

So quick to say FU Apple even before you know if this is true or not ...

agrall

join:2000-09-29
Tucson, AZ

said by AlexNYC:

Which based on other posts - and other information out there - it is NOT true...

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to J E F F

said by MacRumors :
One of the significant new features in OS X Mountain Lion is Gatekeeper, a new security system to help keep users from installing nefarious applications on their machines.

The new system relies not only on Mac App Store distribution as means of vetting apps, but also on a new "identified developer" program under which developers distributing their applications outside of the Mac App Store can register with Apple and receive a personalized certificate they can use to sign their applications. Apple can then use that system to track developers and disable their certificates if malicious activity is detected.

Located in the General tab of the Security & Privacy preference pane is a setting called “Allow applications downloaded from,” with three options:

Anywhere: This choice uses the same set of rules as every previous version of Mac OS X. If an app isn’t known malware and you approve it, it opens.

Mac App Store: When this choice is selected, any apps not downloaded from the Mac App Store will be rejected when you try to launch them.

Mac App Store and identified developers: This is the new default setting in Mountain Lion. In addition to Mac App Store apps, it also allows any third-party apps that have been signed by an identified developer to run.

If anyone didn't see this coming, they're deluded... Apple will eventually have sole control of your desktop as well.

They're just inching along, instead of just fully disallowing outside apps.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to AlexNYC

said by AlexNYC:

Which is why I said "if".

I can handle a locked-down iPhone and iPad...but not computer.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to HiVolt

What determine whether or not Apple will accept an "identified developer"? If a piece of software, like one based on WINE, would Apple be eager? Likely not.
--

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to HiVolt

Thank you for the excellent clarification! Looks like I may be able to roar like a Mountain Lion after all.
--
PR is back in town

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Looks like Software Update is moving to the Mac App Store as well. You'll need to create an Apple ID (or use an existing one) to keep your OS updated, even if you wish to stay clear of Apple's online ecosystem of apps.

Nice...
--
GO LEAFS GO!

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

said by HiVolt:

Looks like Software Update is moving to the Mac App Store as well. You'll need to create an Apple ID (or use an existing one) to keep your OS updated, even if you wish to stay clear of Apple's online ecosystem of apps.

Nice...

I kinda like the way Software Update works now. However, I have an Apple ID, so that won't be a deal breaker.
--
PR is back in town

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

What determine whether or not Apple will accept an "identified developer"? If a piece of software, like one based on WINE, would Apple be eager? Likely not.

Any developer can sign up for the certificate without any approval. They just need to sign up for the Apple Developer Program and generate a certificate.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Thinkdiff:

Any developer can sign up for the certificate without any approval. They just need to sign up for the Apple Developer Program and generate a certificate.

Doesn't it cost $100?
--
GO LEAFS GO!

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

Yes. But I would think most developers are already part of that program. Obviously it hurts small developers that want to distribute a free app on their own (although they could just instruct their users to allow 10.8 to exempt their app from Gatekeeper). I wouldn't be surprised if the certificates were offered outside of the Developer Program in the future.
--

haroldo

united state

Not sure if it's a big deal.
For 95% of users (average folk), they'll go with the default (secure setting) and only get stuff via the app store. They'll not bother with downloading or installing programs from 'small developers' (most non-advanced users never install anything)

For the advanced users, they'll select

quote:
“Allow applications downloaded from,” with three options:

Anywhere: This choice uses the same set of rules as every previous version of Mac OS X. If an app isn’t known malware and you approve it, it opens.
and be able to get an app even if they're outside of the program (right?)
No one loses choice, since avenues still exist...it's just harder for average folk to damage their computer.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

The issue is not with this Mountain Lion... The issue is with future versions... 10.9 may be just App Store & Identified developers, and the next release, which will probably be OS 11, will be App Store only after everyone is slowly forced into this over time.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to haroldo

said by haroldo:

Not sure if it's a big deal.
For 95% of users (average folk), they'll go with the default (secure setting) and only get stuff via the app store. They'll not bother with downloading or installing programs from 'small developers' (most non-advanced users never install anything)

For the advanced users, they'll select

quote:
“Allow applications downloaded from,” with three options:

and be able to get an app even if they're outside of the program (right?)
No one loses choice, since avenues still exist...it's just harder for average folk to damage their computer.

I agree, which I don't think the sky is falling like HiVolt always does. But I guess we'll see who's right when 10.9 comes out next year.

I'd prefer the default to be install from Anywhere and then have the user pick their preference on first start up (explain all the pros/cons), but that would be confusing to many people. If most apps will install without even knowing Gatekeeper is active (which they will) and every now and then I have to manually approve an App, that seems like a good balance to me and not too much different than the current system (pop-up of "This app was downloaded from the internet...")
--

haroldo

united state

2 recommendations

reply to HiVolt

I'm not going to worry about what someone might do down the road. If this is a good product, I'll buy it. If the next one isn't, I wont.
Life's too short for me to worry about something that most likely wont occur, but could...assuming one's extrapolation holds true.