share rss forum feed
Expand your moderator at work

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium
join:2011-06-11
reply to Razzy12345

Re: [OS X] Mountain Lion coming this summer

If you carefully read what I wrote, you'll see I was referring to the "Talking Heads" on TV. That they are on TV and referred to as "talking heads" implies that they have some knowledge about what they speak of.

So, they would be idiots.
--
»anatheists.blogspot.com/

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1
reply to Razzy12345
said by Razzy12345 :

Then they should have named it "Mac OS 10"...

Of course, that could lead to someone pronouncing it "Macosio" LOL
said by Razzy12345 :

I can understand the confusion.. they aren't idiots.. they just don't know the Mac very well

+1

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium
join:2002-06-22
kudos:2
reply to rugby
Someone's bound to hack in the GMA kexts sooner or later so systems such as my 2008 Mini work
--

Razzy12345

@rr.com
reply to OZZY7
Then they should have named it "Mac OS 10"

I mean you don't see "Mac OS IX".

I can understand the confusion.. they aren't idiots.. they just don't know the Mac very well

macsierra8
Baby Newfoundland
Premium
join:2003-11-30
Minden, NV
reply to rugby
I wonder how long it will be until they lock out Vuze for their Hollywood buddies??

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

No one has mentioned that a Mountain Lion is also known as a Puma, Cougar and Panther (not a black one).

Yup, I've been thinking the same thing...

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to rugby
No one has mentioned that a Mountain Lion is also known as a Puma, Cougar and Panther (not a black one).

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Khaine
said by Khaine:

said by J E F F:

said by Khaine:

This information is really easy to find, I'm not sure why people are whipping themselves into a frenzy over nothing

Perhaps because it appears that Apple is headed for lock-down, maybe not in 10.9, but maybe 11.0. For example, would apps like Handbrake still be available? What about Transmission? I have a friend that created an app (WINE) for installing *some* windows programs, it was refused by the app store because it uses Windows files...

Of course, nothing might change, just permissions. Which, if that is the case, is great.

Considering Apple have had private meetings with Developers over this »www.panic.com/blog/2012/02/about-gatekeeper/

quote:
But I can’t find it in me to disparage this goodwill effort that Apple has undertaken to not turn every third-party developer upside-down with regard to app distribution. To me it’s a great sign that they’re aware and at some level sympathetic to our concerns, while remaining committed to a high-security experience for users.

Further cementing this feeling is the fact that we were invited to a private briefing at Apple about Gatekeeper a week before today’s announcement. Cabel was told point-blank that Apple has great respect for the third-party app community, and wants to see it continue to grow — they do not want to poison the well. I think their actions here speak even louder than their words, though.

If that is the case, then I likely will purchase more Macs.

As I said, no issues about having a locked down phone...not too happy about a locked down iPad so my 11 year old has it now. But the Mac better never be in lock down.

Eventually I'll have to get another computer...just unsure if it will be the iMac or MBPro.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Khaine

join:2003-03-03
Australia
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

said by Khaine:

This information is really easy to find, I'm not sure why people are whipping themselves into a frenzy over nothing

Perhaps because it appears that Apple is headed for lock-down, maybe not in 10.9, but maybe 11.0. For example, would apps like Handbrake still be available? What about Transmission? I have a friend that created an app (WINE) for installing *some* windows programs, it was refused by the app store because it uses Windows files...

Of course, nothing might change, just permissions. Which, if that is the case, is great.

Considering Apple have had private meetings with Developers over this »www.panic.com/blog/2012/02/about-gatekeeper/

quote:
But I can’t find it in me to disparage this goodwill effort that Apple has undertaken to not turn every third-party developer upside-down with regard to app distribution. To me it’s a great sign that they’re aware and at some level sympathetic to our concerns, while remaining committed to a high-security experience for users.

Further cementing this feeling is the fact that we were invited to a private briefing at Apple about Gatekeeper a week before today’s announcement. Cabel was told point-blank that Apple has great respect for the third-party app community, and wants to see it continue to grow — they do not want to poison the well. I think their actions here speak even louder than their words, though.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Khaine
said by Khaine:

--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary
reply to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

Admin tools for Lion have been dumbed down.

Server Admin and Workgroup Manager are still available for Lion. They're just no longer included with the default install. They can be downloaded and used along side the new Server app.

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23
reply to Thinkdiff
Admin tools for Lion have been dumbed down. Lion server is now targetted at home servers. Apple exited the business server market. And Apple no longer produces software that drives real server via IPMI since it no longer makes server hardware.

So snow leopard was the last version that had targetted support for real servers. It isn't even clear to me if the server monitor application is distributed with Lion.

Khaine

join:2003-03-03
Australia
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

What determine whether or not Apple will accept an "identified developer"? If a piece of software, like one based on WINE, would Apple be eager? Likely not.

From the macworld article

So what’s an “identified developer?” Basically, it’s any developer who registers as a developer with Apple and receives a personalized certificate. The developer can then use that certificate to cryptographically sign their apps. Any such app has two important characteristics: Apple can tell who developed it, and Mountain Lion can detect whether it’s been tampered with since it left the hands of the developer.

The first part is important because, Apple says, if a particular developer is discovered to be distributing malware, Apple has the ability to revoke that developer’s license and add it to a blacklist. Mountain Lion checks once a day to see if there’s been an update to the blacklist. If a developer is on the blacklist, Mountain Lion won’t allow apps signed by that developer to run.

When you try to launch an app using this system, your Mac will check with Apple’s servers to see if the developer’s signature is current. But what it doesn’t seem to mean is that previously-installed malware will be wiped clean, because once an app passes File Quarantine and launches successfully for the first time, it’s basically escaped Apple’s screening system.

»www.macworld.com/article/165408/···per.html

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium
reply to haroldo
You would say Mac OS 10.7

Any "talking head" on T.V. who calls it O.S. EX, is an idiot.
--

haroldo

united state
reply to Thinkdiff
You must know a lot of geeks, then. I hear a ton of people (including talking heads on TV) use "ex"
Do you say "os ten ten point seven"?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

1 recommendation

reply to haroldo
said by haroldo:

said by MIABye:

...when they are ready for OS XI.

They're boxed into a corner with OS X. It's relatively easy to pronounce "owe ess ex".
Does anyone (outside of a few ultra geeks) call it "owe ess ten". Do they call OS X 10.7 "owe ess ten ten point seven" or "owe ess ex ten point seven"?

Nobody I know calls it "ex" - not even people that can barely use a computer. X is a roman numeral. But this topic alone normally gets it's own thread every so often

Just like the majority of people say "Super Bowl 46" instead of "X L V I"
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

1 recommendation

reply to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

I consider the last version of OS_X to be snow leopard. It is the last one for the real server (which Apple has now abandonned), and the last version before Apple decided to transfor desktops into IOS devices.

How is Lion Server different? Once you install the Server Admin Tools, it seems to me all the same functionality of Snow Leopard Server is there.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

haroldo

united state

4 edits
reply to MIABye
said by MIABye:

...when they are ready for OS XI.

They're boxed into a corner with OS X. It's relatively easy to pronounce "owe ess ex".
Does anyone (outside of a few ultra geeks) call it "owe ess ten". Do they call OS X 10.7 "owe ess ten ten point seven" or "owe ess ex ten point seven"?
They'll keep the name OS X around for a while...IMHO
How do you pronounce OS XI "owe ess shee"...will they be paying deference to the (soon to be) Chinese Premier? »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xi_Jinping

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23
reply to rugby
I consider the last version of OS_X to be snow leopard. It is the last one for the real server (which Apple has now abandonned), and the last version before Apple decided to transfor desktops into IOS devices.

For my server, if/when snow leopard can no longer run software I need, I will be going Linux.

For the desktop, I really don't know. But staying at snow leopard means that I will likely no longer be getting any updates for the basic apple software like itunes etc.

I still need rosetta BTW.

AAPL is doing really well. But I don't like the direction that Apple is taking the desktops so I won't be spending much money with Apple anymore. Big question i whether people like me are to be a tiny group and AAPL will cotinue to do well, or whether there will be a growing trend of people who stay away from Apple because of all the control and proprietary stuff they do.

It is about time that Adobe ported its software like photoshop and illustrator to Linux.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to MIABye
said by MIABye:

said by HiVolt:

Jeez Apple, time to come up with a new naming scheme...

Since Apple's been obsessed with space backgrounds for a few OS X releases, maybe they should use the names of stars or constellations when they are ready for OS XI.

Come to think of it, maybe I wont upgrade. Maybe all I want is the new Wallpaper,....

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by donoreo:

Here is a list of machines that will not run ML:

Although OS X Lion has a minimum spec requirement of an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, Mountain Lion’s heftier graphics requirements effectively puts these machines to pasture:

Wow... Why can't they just let you disable the friggin eye candy, or reduce it somewhat? You know, like those pointless transitions and zoom effects? But I guess then you could just use your old system, instead of buying a new one. Not what Apple wants.

So I think this basically removes any GMA 950 or GMA X3100 based integrated systems.

This includes my Mini.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

haroldo

united state
reply to rugby

MIABye
Premium
join:2001-10-28
united state
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Jeez Apple, time to come up with a new naming scheme...

Since Apple's been obsessed with space backgrounds for a few OS X releases, maybe they should use the names of stars or constellations when they are ready for OS XI.
--
iMac 2.5 Ghz i5 12 Gigs RAM 500 Gig 7200 RPM HD (Lion/Windows 7) - MacBook Air 13" 1.7 Ghz i5 128 Gig SSD (Lion) - iPhone 4 32 Gig ATT (iOS 5)

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium
reply to HiVolt
Yeah, I never had a single issue with OS X's eye candy ever since it first came out. Even when it didn't run the best on old hardware, it still scaled itself back, in many instances automatically. Lion changed all of that and it's only going to get more ridiculous, I guess.
--

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

Here is a list of machines that will not run ML:

Although OS X Lion has a minimum spec requirement of an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, Mountain Lion’s heftier graphics requirements effectively puts these machines to pasture:

Wow... Why can't they just let you disable the friggin eye candy, or reduce it somewhat? You know, like those pointless transitions and zoom effects? But I guess then you could just use your old system, instead of buying a new one. Not what Apple wants.

So I think this basically removes any GMA 950 or GMA X3100 based integrated systems.
--
GO LEAFS GO!