spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

prokkos

join:2003-11-14
Holmdel, NJ

Are we ever going to get that Verizon Ipad Live TV Ap?

Has anyone seen anything new on a Verizon Ap similar to what cable co's have rolled out for watching live TV at home on an ipad or iphone?

Its been close to 2 years since they first began touting it as coming soon. At CES this year, I recall seeing some articles on their focus on Xbox and Samsung TV aps first before turning to ios focused products. The focus on Xbox and Samsung seems silly to me. I have both an Xbox and a Samsung TV. Both are hooked up with a FIOS cable box. I guess I can see a situation where they would be in a spare bedroom or someplace where I would want to save a few $$ and not pay the extra $$ for another cable box, going with the limited channel selection that running FIOS through such a device could entail. But it seems unlikely that I'd stick an Xbox which is used fairly often or a new Samsung TV which would be required to use this service, in such an out of the way local. More likely either product will be in a location that I'd want full channels, on demand, dvr, etc. requiring a separate box.

However, with ipad, itouch, iphone, etc. now everywhere, seems to me that usage of such a device even with limited channels and only at home, would be much more useful allowing for mobility within the home.

I wonder if I just have an apple centric view of the world (I assume a similar argument applies for adding android functionality as well), or if others agree. Anyway, anyone heard anything on this?

MacAlert

join:2005-03-16
Flushing, NY
Take it for what it's worth....
Twitter Joe mentioned something that he was testing the final build for the iPad app and it had minimal channels.

celticpride

@verizon.net
maybe they are waiting for the release of the new IPAD 3 which is rumored to be coming in march.I guess we'll just have to wait and see!,I'm personally trying to decide if i want to get the new IPAD 3 or anew laptop.

Onedollar

join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA
kudos:6
There were some trial activity earlier this month, that is all i can say

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to prokkos
I bet we'll see it in 6-10 months

taxaholic

@comcastbusiness.net
Slingbox works fine with Fios. Gives you your DVR, On Demand and all other features, and works on iStuff and Androids.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to prokkos
iPad 3 + FiOS feed would be absurdly good.

tongyang

join:2003-07-18
Alexandria, VA
reply to prokkos
I'll believe it when I see it.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to Mike
+1

Photoman15

join:2000-06-12
Brooklyn, NY
reply to prokkos
If it will work on the iPad 3, it will work on the 1 and 2. The OS is the same. The only differences will be screen resolution, maybe memory, and the 2 and 3 have cameras, all unneeded for viewing on the iPad.

prokkos

Holmdel, NJ
reply to Onedollar
said by Onedollar:

There were some trial activity earlier this month, that is all i can say

Thanks for the response, which hints of some sort of insider knowledge of trials. And I don't mean to be distrespectful or rant, however assuming you have some inside info on this, please convey back to those in power that it is pretty disappointing to hear well over a year after the app and capability is announced/demoed, that it is in trials. Are you kidding me? In trials? Must be some really new fangled technology that they are the first to bring to market, no wait a minute, every single cable provider has at this point shown it to work......

Trials. What a joke.

Onedollar

Pomona, CA
reply to prokkos
This maybe around the corner before end of this month. Hopefully I dont pull a tjoe...

LimoMan
Premium
join:2005-07-23
Eatontown, NJ
That's six more days, I kind of doubt it. Just can't believe TW has it and FIOS doesn't?????

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to prokkos
Optimum/Cablevision does as well.

prokkos

Holmdel, NJ
Comcast has live streaming ipad app as well. FIOS definitely is behind the curve on this one.

LimoMan
Premium
Eatontown, NJ
reply to prokkos
Very dissapointing!

nfotiu

join:2009-01-25
reply to prokkos
Slingbox ipad app is pretty awesome. The implementation of these apps is usually slowed down by content negotations, and you end up only getting a few of your channels. Slingbox gives you a native guide in its ipad app, and access to all of your channels, dvr, and on demand. Also you can watch it anywhere you have an internet connection on laptops, smartphones, and ipads. Slingbox is way better than any ipad app is going to be for years.

LimoMan
Premium
Eatontown, NJ
I've been looking into the Slingbox Pro and it's advantages. Looks like I have to get an HD STB for a TV we barely watch so I can access that STB and not worry about interfering with someone watching TV. That's seems to be the only issue, might give it a try this weekend!

LimoMan
Premium
Eatontown, NJ
reply to prokkos
Just got Slingbox...WOW! This is great! Wi-fi is obviously better than 3G but the quality is INSANE! iPad and iPhone apps are nuts, full control and if you have multi-room DVR you can access any recorded shows from any box you hook the Slingbox up to!

frankpf3
Verizon Fios

join:2007-08-09
Huntington Station, NY
reply to prokkos
nycdave...would you like to chime in on this one please.............

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
Please!

JayMan 007

join:2005-07-18
Richmond, VA
reply to LimoMan
said by LimoMan:

Just got Slingbox...WOW! This is great! Wi-fi is obviously better than 3G but the quality is INSANE! iPad and iPhone apps are nuts, full control and if you have multi-room DVR you can access any recorded shows from any box you hook the Slingbox up to!

Did you get the standard Slingbox or the HD version?

LimoMan
Premium
Eatontown, NJ
HD Pro, it was $299...for me it was well worth it.

tongyang

Alexandria, VA
reply to Onedollar
said by Onedollar:

This maybe around the corner before end of this month. Hopefully I dont pull a tjoe...

Well it's the end of the month now

Onedollar

Pomona, CA
Guess i was wrong.. Ill post if i see anything further

tongyang

Alexandria, VA
No biggie, we're all used to being disappointed by Verizon by now. At least we have somewhat of a confirmation that this is still in the works, I guess?

joeg679

join:2011-01-10
Township Of Washington, NJ
reply to prokkos
While the idea of having a streaming app like Comcast or Time Warner is nice, I don't really see the point of it, if you have to be in your home network to watch it. I guess it would be nice to bring the ipad outside and watch things, but I would rather have an app that works anywhere. I have Slingbox now and it works well, but I'd like something from Verizon.

celticpride

@verizon.net
I suppose if i get the new HD IPAD with verizons 4G as is rumored ,i''ll also have to get me a slingbox pro so i can watch my prigrams on the ipad!

frankpf3
Verizon Fios

join:2007-08-09
Huntington Station, NY
Watch Verizon is purposely waiting for the 4G iPad. They will say the app only works on the new iPad, forcing everyone to buy and pay for a 4G data plan.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to prokkos
Anyone know if they are working on a pc app to do the same?

Would be nice to watch some fios from my laptop at times..