Fayetteville, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

[AR] No More SSL (SPOP3)?

Howdy Aloha!

Been using
spop.east.cox.net
for well over a year.

Now it seems to have gone the way of the Carrier Pigeon. Is this true?

Is there no SSL pop server choice anymore?

Thanks for any help!

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

Crap. I just set up my wife's netbook with spop for an upcoming trip. I'm going to be in trouble if she gets off the plane and can't use mail. It did work from here, though.

Did you try without the "east" designation? spop.cox.net?
--
Why is it that those so concerned with Sharia law are OK with imposing their religion on others?

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
reply to KahunaNui

»ww2.cox.com/residential/arizona/···0000000}

looks like they are doing it via ports now

the servers have no location specific names now

KahunaNui

join:2000-05-01
Fayetteville, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Mahalo\Thanks ajwees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish they would have sent it out as an email bulletin.

Guess i should have dug further, but so much has been difficult to find lately.

You guys are AWESOME!!!!!!!

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

just put pop.cox.net and smtp.cox.net

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3
reply to KahunaNui

I may be mistaken, but I think the default Auth for spop.x.cox.net is SSL/TLS while pop.x.cox.net is not? At first I thought they were just different names for the same server, like a CNAME or something. But they look to run through different servers when I telnet in. Hmm, now I am curious.

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5

said by Optimus2357:

I may be mistaken, but I think the default Auth for spop.x.cox.net is SSL/TLS while pop.x.cox.net is not? At first I thought they were just different names for the same server, like a CNAME or something. But they look to run through different servers when I telnet in. Hmm, now I am curious.

From the referenced article as noted above by ajwees41...

»ww2.cox.com/residential/oklahoma···00000%7D

quote:
Mobile / Secure Email Settings

Note: Cox has updated the Email Server Names in order to make setting up email easier for our customer. If however, you currently have the old mail server names of pop.east.cox.net or pop.west.cox.net it is not necessary to update those settings.

It simply standarizes the naming convention hopefully to reduce confusion...

The important part is setting the corrrect port numbers and selecting either TLS or SSL for SMTP depending on the outgoing port.
--
"When all else fails read the instructions..."
MS-MVP Windows Expert - Consumer

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI
reply to KahunaNui

Oh I get that part that they changed pop.x.cox.net to pop.cox.net...I think that has been live for about 3 months and advertised for like 1. But as the article says, it doesn't actually change anything. That alone wouldn't cause the error. Also this isn't a error on SMTP but pop. Not...this is something else, I feel it in my bones. I will poke around, but it may be resolved by now.

stanley_qaz
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Gilbert, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·HughesNet Satell..

1 edit

Wrong:

My new Thunderbird complained about the certificate using pop.west.cox.net but was happy when I changed it by dropping the .west from the address.

Fixed:

My new Thunderbird complained about the certificate using spop.west.cox.net but was happy when I changed it by dropping the "s" from the address, checking works without the .west or with it.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI

Odd, I wonder why mine didn't. I don't see where your accessing from having anything to do with the certificate....right? Not saying I don't believe you, just wonder what gave you the error and not me. Did you notice if your client downloaded a new certificate when your pulled? If you change back to pop.west.cox.net does the error come back?

Guzzler

join:2002-09-24
Tempe, AZ
kudos:1
reply to KahunaNui

Quick question:

Does enabling SSL/TLS finally allow one to send email when I'm not on Cox's network?

I've found that when I'm out and using an open WiFi (coffee shops, bookstores, etc) I can't send emails from Outlook (it errors out). Only when I get home then my emails go out.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

It's not the encryption that enables it, it's setting up smtp to require login but yes. If you follow these instructions, you can send emails when off Cox's network without mucking around with your email client.
--
Metaphors mixed while you wait.

stanley_qaz
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Gilbert, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to Optimus2357

I think I see the problem, I got my post wrong... spop versus pop in the server name.

The error was: The certificate at spop.west.cox.net is not the one for that server, it belongs to a different site pop.cox.net. There is no certificate for the spop.west.cox.net server available.

The error comes back if the exception is deleted. Looking at my certificates I see one for: pop.west.cox.net dated 2-2-12 for server spop.west.cox.net:995 by Entrust, Inc. once I add the exception back in.

Checking spop.west.cox.net:995 pops up an "add exception" dialog box after deleting the exception.

Checking pop.west.cox.net doesn't pop an error so both names must be in the server's certificate.

---

Where you are coming from shouldn't have anything to do with the certificate but it could impact where you actually went since Cox can hand you any IP they want based on where your DNS query comes from.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI

Awesome.So probably the variable was mine was a new setup after the change instead of a setup before and going into the change. Thats exactly the kind of answer my brain was searching for. So Spop.east.cox.net never had it's own certificate, but used the one from pop.west.cox.net, so when pop.west.cox.net turned into pop.cox.net the chain broke. A > B is fine, but A > C is broken.

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to Guzzler

Click for full size
Outlook 2010 - Cox HSI email configuration
said by Guzzler:

Quick question:

Does enabling SSL/TLS finally allow one to send email when I'm not on Cox's network?

I've found that when I'm out and using an open WiFi (coffee shops, bookstores, etc) I can't send emails from Outlook (it errors out). Only when I get home then my emails go out.

See the screen shot for how you need to configure Outlook for both SMTP Auth and the secure SSL/TLS ports. This will allow you to send email while off of the Cox HSI network. The example is from my Windows 7 laptop running Outlook 2010. FWIW I am currrently on an AT&T DSL link at my currrent location.
--
"When all else fails read the instructions..."
MS-MVP Windows Expert - Consumer

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI

Good tip and nice execution. But just to be clear, my question was on a Pop SSL certificate error, not SMTP. Does a Blue (Cox employee) want to comment? Not that the question hasn't been answered, I am just curious about the why behind it.

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:76

The change was supposed to be seamless but it appears people have apparently observed issues. pop.cox.net supports both traditional and secure access methods now, spop and pop. are legacy at this point.

KahunaNui

Fayetteville, AR

Well, all of a sudden (this early afternoon) your servers are timing out on all accounts. Unable to receive mail at all. Any suggestions?

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:76

Unrelated to the original post but we are experiencing email problems amongst other things right now.

KahunaNui

Fayetteville, AR

Sorry... patience hasn't been one of my strong points.

Everything is AOK now...

Thanks CoxTech!