how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Slingerland2

join:2009-09-08
Little Rock, AR

[CDV] CDV - does not send notifications to AT&T cell phones

I posted the msg below on the vendor support forum, but I'm wondering if anybody else has seen the same thing? If you have, what was the avenue to get it fixed?

(In the vendor message, I included the actual email addresses and ticket number).

Thanks!!!!!

. . .

I have been using CDV for about a year with no issues until two weeks back. My wife had configured the voice mail notification to text her cell phone when a voice mail was left. It worked fine until two weeks or so ago, then suddenly stopped working.

I experimented with different combinations of cell phone and regular emails addresses yesterday. Bottom line I'm coming up with is:
• a "regular" email address such as "myaddress@mywork.com" is receiving notifications when a VM is left.
• either of my cell phones "nnnnnnnnnn@txt.att.net" does not receive a notification.

I opened a ticket yesterday. I never heard anything. I called a few minutes ago to check on the ticket and was told the tech had tried "numerous times" to reach me and failed. Unfortunately this is outright not true. I work out of my house and people were by the phones all day, last night and today. Nobody called.

When I spoke with the person today, he immediately tried to blame AT&T, claiming that since my regular email was getting notified, it must be the cell phone's fault. Besides being unprofessional, while I had him on the phone, I blew up his accusation by emailing a message to my cell phone from my work email.

And for whatever it's worth, I have a second line through Vonage, and it uses the same cell phone numbers for notification. No problems.

Again, this was working for almost a year, then mysteriously "quit." I consider this a must-have feature, and it really should be working. And I should be able to get support without the ticket being fast-tracked into a trash can.

So I would appreciate any help you can give on expediting this ticket. Thank you VERY much!

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 edits
I don't have CDV, so I can't see their email notification setup, but I do know that Vonage does work (as you also have found out).

Perhaps the difference is that Vonage treats cell phone notifications as SMS messages instead of email.

Does the CDV control panel make a distinction between cell phone notification and email notification?

Also, AT&T has a user selected option to block all internet generated SMS messages, or only allow them from a whitelist.

»mymessages.wireless.att.com/

Are you blocking or filtering internet generated SMS messages on your AT&T phone?

EDIT:
I want to thank you for starting this thread. When I went into my Vonage control panel to get the screen shot I posted, I discovered that a recent rate plan change I had made had caused some of my settings to revert to the default settings. Your thread gave me the opportunity to correct the settings.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Slingerland2

Little Rock, AR
Click for full size
Thanks for the suggestions, NetFixer! I went to the ATT site you suggested, nothing was blocked. Just for paranoia I added comcast.com and comcast.net to the list of approved senders.

Attached is the CDV notification web page. There is no difference between email and SMS notification; just a list of email addresses. The "howard" address works, the "txt.att.net" addresses do not.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by Slingerland2:

Attached is the CDV notification web page. There is no difference between email and SMS notification; just a list of email addresses. The "howard" address works, the "txt.att.net" addresses do not.

My guess would be that the email sent out by CDV is too large for a standard SMS message, and/or it is not in a format that is compatible with AT&T's email to SMS conversion process.

Does your AT&T cell phone (and rate plan) include email as well as SMS messaging? If so, sending the notification to the phone's email account might be a solution. I know that with my cell phone, I can setup an email account to give me a tone alert and a notification popup on new messages similarly to the way the new SMS messages do.
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Slingerland2

Little Rock, AR
said by NetFixer:

My guess would be that the email sent out by CDV is too large for a standard SMS message, and/or it is not in a format that is compatible with AT&T's email to SMS conversion process.

If so, then something has changed in the past couple of weeks to break it. My cell phones will break up long messages, so it may be the format. But it was working until recently.

said by NetFixer:

Does your AT&T cell phone (and rate plan) include email as well as SMS messaging? If so, sending the notification to the phone's email account might be a solution. I know that with my cell phone, I can setup an email account to give me a tone alert and a notification popup on new messages similarly to the way the new SMS messages do.

Unfortuately I have to support two different phones, and email is not an option.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
Well, hopefully a Comcast engineer or tech with access to how CDV handles the email notification process will notice your thread and see if anything can be done.

If that does not happen, you might want to post in the »Comcast Direct forum. I have had pretty good results with getting odd problems resolved by posting there. I just recently posted there about a feature I needed for business class domain name maintenance not being on the on-line control panel, and now it is there.
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Slingerland2

Little Rock, AR
Thanks, NetFixer! I posted there last night as well. We'll see what happens.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to Slingerland2
If you have a smartphone, then you can get the Xfinity mobile app. I have it on my iPhone and it not only notifies me of Comcast.net E-Mails but it allows me to retrieve my CDV voicemails on my iPhone and has a visual voicemail feature. I find that easier to use than traditional voicemail
--
All of my CPE (including my EMTA) is customer owned. The only Comcast owned equipment in my house is the CableCards in the two TiVO boxes I own.

Slingerland2

Little Rock, AR
said by IowaCowboy:

If you have a smartphone, then you can get the Xfinity mobile app.

Thanks! My wife only has a basic SMS phone and doesn't want a smartphone (cost.) So notification has to support her phone.

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
Can the phone accept MMS messages? try the domain @mms.att.net.

Slingerland2

Little Rock, AR
said by Napsterbater:

Can the phone accept MMS messages? try the domain @mms.att.net.

I tried that as well to my phone (iPhone), but it did not work. And my wife's phone is primitive.

Slingerland2

Little Rock, AR
reply to Slingerland2
A follow-up... I had clearly told the techs to call my CELL PHONE when they wanted to test this problem. Cell phone. Cell phone.

I left the house for 10 minutes to pick up my son from school The tech called the HOUSE PHONE. And now they're gone for the weekend.

Monday the customer service department better be ready to refund some $$$ to keep me as a customer...

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by Slingerland2:

A follow-up... I had clearly told the techs to call my CELL PHONE when they wanted to test this problem. Cell phone. Cell phone.

I left the house for 10 minutes to pick up my son from school The tech called the HOUSE PHONE. And now they're gone for the weekend.

Yep, Comcast will call the phone number that is associated with your account in their billing system. Margin notes regarding an alternate telephone number in your trouble ticket (if they make it that far), will typically be ignored.

When I setup my most recent Comcast HSI account, I made sure that my cell phone number was the number associated with the account. Otherwise what typically would happen was I would get a callback on my VoIP number (I haven't had a telco POTS line for ages), the Comcast tech would do an automatic knee jerk remote reset on my modem, and ****CLICK****.
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to Slingerland2
Setup some email account (non-comcast e.g. gmail) to forward to the cell phone and then send the notification to that email.
--
PRescott7-2097

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

Yep, Comcast will call the phone number that is associated with your account in their billing system. Margin notes regarding an alternate telephone number in your trouble ticket (if they make it that far), will typically be ignored.

When I setup my most recent Comcast HSI account, I made sure that my cell phone number was the number associated with the account. Otherwise what typically would happen was I would get a callback on my VoIP number (I haven't had a telco POTS line for ages), the Comcast tech would do an automatic knee jerk remote reset on my modem, and ****CLICK****.

I used to have two modems (one for HSI and one for CDV, but since have consolidated the two) and I would call to troubleshoot HSI and I would remind them to only touch the HSI modem when doing remote resets/troubleshooting and the next thing you know is the call drops because the CSR reset both the CDV modem and the HSI modem.

Now I just call on my Verizon Wireless iPhone when calling to troubleshoot as the HSI modems is also the CDV modem aka. CDV and HSI are now on the same modem.
--
All of my CPE (including my EMTA) is customer owned. The only Comcast owned equipment in my house is the CableCards in the two TiVO boxes I own.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
said by IowaCowboy:

Now I just call on my Verizon Wireless iPhone when calling to troubleshoot as the HSI modems is also the CDV modem aka. CDV and HSI are now on the same modem.

You calling Comcast is not where the problem lies. The problem is when Comcast calls back, they will usually call the number associated with your account no matter what number you supply as a callback number. I have even on more than one occasion told the CSR, please don't reset the modem as this will disconnect us, call me back on my cell phone, or give me a number to call you directly. Guess what typically happens anyway? Of course this is not only Comcast, I have had the same one-way conversation with AT&T and Covad and Vonage techs too.

I will have to say, though, I have only had that happen once since I got Comcast Business Class service. Those techs generally ask for permission before resetting or rebooting the modem, and usually will ask if you are on a VoIP connection and offer to call your cell phone back to continue troubleshooting.
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Slingerland2

Little Rock, AR
reply to Slingerland2
Update: I was able to fix the issue.

Method:
•Wait 5 minutes.
•Log back in, change the voice mail ring count from 4 to 2. Save. Log back out.
•Wait 5 minutes.
•Log back in, change the ring count back, add the cell phones. Save.
•Test. Worked fine.

I'm wondering if there was a replication error in the system back end and my config was not completely updated across all the servers.

Needless to say, STILL not happy with Comcast.