uniqs
share rss forum feed

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY
Reviews:
·Comcast

[Praise] Finally made the jump to D3!

I finally upgraded to the HD Starter Preferred Plus tier with Blast 16/2. The new HD converter and D3 EMTA modem will arrive next week. I have a D2 Arris EMTA modem now and I am already seeing better upload speeds. DL is about the same on the 12/2 tier. I can't wait to take advantage of the channel bonding and Blast Speeds. I hope I get the latest modem. The best part of the deal is I'll be saving 10 bucks a month for better service.
I did a Ping Test and the system received an A whereas before the upgrade I was always stuck at B. That's it for the good news.

I'll report back next week once the HW is received and goes live.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 recommendation

said by YukonHawk:

I finally upgraded to the HD Starter Preferred Plus tier with Blast 16/2.

FWIW, the "Blast" tier in upgraded to DOCSIS 3 areas should be 20/2, 20/4, or 25/4 depending on the system.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23
reply to YukonHawk
What tiers do you see offered here for your location? ---> What products are available in your area?
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY
Thanks SortofaGeek.... I'll check out the link you provided. The Comcast rep told 16/2. Hopefully the 20/2 is offered in my area code of 12563. I know for certain we were upgraded to D3 in 2006.

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY
reply to sortofageek
So I just verified that the Blast speed Tier I am on is 16/2. Maybe upgrades will come soon. Anyway, as long as I have the D3 EMTA coming it'll be better than the 12/2 plan with the D2 EMTA.

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY
reply to EG
thx for the heads up EG .

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
reply to YukonHawk
said by YukonHawk:

I know for certain we were upgraded to D3 in 2006.

It was my understanding that there are two DOCSIS 3.0 tiers now. If anyone can show it is different, I'm all ears.

DOCSIS 3.0 tiers are:
Extreme 50 (50/10 Mbps)
Extreme 105 (105/10 or 15? Mbps)

If you can't order one of those tiers either via the website or by phone, it is my understanding the DOCSIS 3.0 rollout is not complete in your area.
--

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
They now consider the Blast tier (20Mbps or higher) to be a D3 one also sorto.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
OK, thanks.

Still, if DOCSIS 3.0 rollout is complete, wouldn't the two higher tiers be there as well? I know they are all three there for my area.

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to sortofageek
Thanks Sort.....I do remember we received an e-mail saying were upgraded, but maybe with only the first tier? The mystery continues. Thanks again for the information. One way or another we'll find out. Thanks again for every ones help.

Paul

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
I'll check with my "sources" again.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to sortofageek
said by sortofageek:

Still, if DOCSIS 3.0 rollout is complete, wouldn't the two higher tiers be there as well?

Agreed. They should.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
Thanks for the sanity check.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

2 edits
This is what it currently says on the "About DOCSIS 3.0" page on the Comcast website (though the speeds quoted seem out-of-date):

XFINITY speed plans

When DOCSIS 3.0 becomes available in your area, you may find your Internet speeds automatically increased. You’ll also have the option to upgrade to new speed plans.

•Performance subscribers will find their speeds doubled (up to 12 Mbps download/2 Mbps upload).
•Performance Plus subscribers will be upgraded to Blast! (with speeds doubled up to 16 Mbps download/2 Mbps upload).
•XFINITY Internet subscribers also have the option of upgrading to one of two new speed plans: New Ultra (up to 22 Mbps download/5 Mbps upload) and New Extreme 50 (up to 50 Mbps download/10 Mbps upload).

citizensin
The Deacon of the Bipartisan Party
Premium
join:2001-06-19
Fayette City, PA
reply to sortofageek
Click for full size
Additional Internet Services
Availability of additional Internet services in my area (zip 15438)

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
reply to telcodad
Yeah, that's dated. The "Ultra" tier has been discontinued as well.

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to YukonHawk
I just did a speed test and I recorded 31.12Mbps down and 5.12Mbps up and that's still with the old EMTA. So it appears I'm on the 16/2 tier. Powerboost accounts for the rest. I know these speeds test are rudimentary. Take care every one and have a great weekend and thanks for ALL the info you shared today! Great group of people for sure!!!

»www.speedtest.net/result/1779854972.png

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
Try this tool for testing speeds;

»www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffpr···obe.html

It is considered a gold standard by savvy techs for accuracy and reliability in comparison to any of those run of the mill Flash/Java based type of testing sites. It has the ability to differentiate between the "Powerboost" burst speeds and the actual sustained speeds.

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY
Thank you EG. Very cool of you.

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to YukonHawk
My results.....

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 5239 Kbps.
Downstream: 14789 Kbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 5114 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 14504 Kbps.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
This area has been DOCSIS 3.0 for years. My Blast connection looks like this tonight.

DiffProbe beta release. October 2009. Build 1002.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 38.106.70.162.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 5638 Kbps.
Downstream: 35940 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Median received rate: 5525 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 10441-10777 KB;
Shaping rate: 30818 Kbps.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe
--

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

2 edits
reply to sortofageek
said by sortofageek:

I'll check with my "sources" again.

The reply from my Comcast source indicated these are the DOCSIS 3.0 tiers offered by Comcast now.

Extreme 50 (50/10 Mbps) or (50/15 Mbps)
Extreme 105 (105/10 or (105/20 Mbps)

However, a DOCSIS 3.0 modem is recommended for Blast tier once upgraded to the higher speeds of 20+. I am actually provisioned at 27.5/4 here.

--

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to YukonHawk
said by YukonHawk:

My results.....

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 5239 Kbps.
Downstream: 14789 Kbps.

Median received rate: 5114 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 14504 Kbps.

As the DiffProbe Shaper Module page says:

"ShaperProbe tries to answer the question: Is the ISP shaping my traffic? In other words, is my "connection speed" dropped automatically to a low rate after some time?

We detect traffic shaping, which means that the customer gets a large rate for a certain number of bytes, and then the rate is dropped automatically to a lower value. If a user gets rate limited for certain time periods, he/she can detect that observing the capacity estimates given by ShaperProbe."

So, if no shapers were detected in either the upstream or downstream, does that mean that there is no PowerBoost?

Yet the "run-of-the-mill" speedtest YukonHawk ran ("31.12Mbps down and 5.12Mbps up") seemed to indicate a 2X downstream PowerBoost being applied.

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to sortofageek
Thanks Sort.....The D3 EMTA is arriving this coming Monday. Once it goes live I'll post my new ShaperProbe speed results. I am "assuming" I am getting an Arris Model 7xxx I think that shows the provisioning rate once I log into it. Take care and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

YukonHawk

Patterson, NY
Reviews:
·Comcast
Okay....I received my package today and instead of another EMTA I received a Cisco DPC3008. It's in-line between the DIR-655 router and the Arris EMTA. Everything is up and running and screaming along. I ran ShaperProbe and here are the readings....

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 5108 Kbps.
Downstream: 35088 Kbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Median received rate: 5002 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 11194-11346 KB; Shaping rate: 31202 Kbps.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe
logout

I'll have to call Comcast tomorrow to make sure I am not going to be charged an additional $7 per month for the Cisco. Anyway, things are good for now. Have a good night.