dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
redpepper
join:2009-09-05

redpepper

Re: "GVJack App" Converts MJ Dongles To Google Voice

Here's a simple way to meet the same basic underlying need using the "GVJack" App without using an external answering machine.

1. Open the "Features Dashboard" and include all the important numbers in the Priority Calls table. When calls arrive from any of those numbers you will hear British style ringing when the phone rings.

2. Enable the Priority Calls Only feature in the "Features Dashboard". All calls that are NOT included in the Priority Calls table will be routed to voice mail and any important calls will make it through and your phone will ring as described above.

3. Whenever you have voice mail, the little voice mail waiting light on your phone will come on (if it has one). You will also hear stutter dialtone when you go offhook. Just dial *98 on your phone to listen to your voice mail messages or select "Voice Mail" from the "GVJack" App traybar icon menu and listen to them online.

shwing
A Sphincter Says What ?
join:2002-11-14

shwing

love this thread!
redpepper

redpepper

Based on user requests that are coming in we will be adding support for MJ+ dongles (when they are plugged into a USB port on a computer) to the "GVJack" App in a new downloadable update by the end of next week.

Gork
Ou812ic
join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT

2 edits

Gork to redpepper

to redpepper
said by redpepper:

Here's a simple way to meet the same basic underlying need using the "GVJack" App without using an external answering machine.

I've thought about this as opposed to what I described, but it just doesn't quite fit the bill. (And I can't find an a/m which works this way anymore, and a/m don't work with GV anyway.) The problem with this solution is that the phone will still ring if someone on the list calls and doesn't have an important call.

Here's where I'm coming from. I work graves, so sleep during the day. Since NOBODY TRULY GETS IT, not even family and friends, I turn my ringers off when I sleep. If I didn't I'd never get any sleep. BUT, when there's an emergency, such as when my grandpa was dying, nobody can get through to me. I'd love for my grandma, for instance, to be able to call, on a daily basis, whenever she wanted and leave me a mesasge without it disturbing me if I'm asleep. But I'd like for her to be able to RING THROUGH in an emergency situation.
said by redpepper:

Based on user requests that are coming in we will be adding support for MJ+ dongles

Nice! It amazes me that people are ALREADY excited to LEAVE the MJ+, which just barely came out. Ok, maybe amazes isnt' the right word. Maybe "doesn't surprise" would have been a better phrase.
redpepper

redpepper

This is where the additional built in features of Google Voice come in handy.

Sign up for an additional Google Voice number and under the call settings set the Caller ID (incoming) to "Display my Google Voice number". It is normally set to "Display Caller's Number".

That will be the special emergency number you let get through by putting it in the Priority Call table with the Priority Calls Only option also on. Whoever uses this special emergency number to call you will get through.

You can turn the Priority Calls Only feature on and off from your phone handset by dialing *64/*84.

Anyway this is the closest thing possible to what you are describing that we can put together using the technology available.

Gork
Ou812ic
join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT

Gork

K, that's what I was afraid of. I was thinking that it would have to be something on the GV side of things but I'm certainly not as knowledgeable as you guys with regard to this stuff. Thanks for the additional idea. The only problem is that if telemarketers or whatever get a hold of that number they'd be sent through as well. I don't really understand why that "feature" of the old answering machine went by the by with time. I mean, it's a great feature and not one you can really get anymore.