uniqs
share rss forum feed

mdaddyrabbit
Premium
join:2004-02-05
Clinton, NC
kudos:2

Centurylink issues

For sometime now I have had issues with my internet service. The speed dropped drastically. I called tech support and they went through the same motions. Joey from Centurylink was a great help with this. I had 3 technicians to come out and one contractor they found a broke wire and a bad ground with noise or so they said. My speed is within 80% of rated speed so for that fact Centurylink will not d anything more.

I had an opportunity this past week to speak with a Centurylink engineer, and also a technician for special circuits and the business side of things. The engineer stated that Centurylink has over sold their bandwidth and had made adjustments to accommodate the over size amount of customers. The technician stated that Centurylink was going through changes and cutting back on services and people. The guys who are emergency oncall for Centurylink are going to receive a larger territory for being responsible for.

At any rate these guys both claimed that Centurylink has some bandwidth exhaustion and shortcomings that were not being addressed in the proper manner.

jang0

join:2012-02-11

Yep... unusable webnets after 5pm here...

ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
reply to mdaddyrabbit

If you are within 80% of rated speed that's good. It depends on what test you use but most people can't get that much.

mdaddyrabbit
Premium
Clinton, NC
reply to jang0

Click for full size
Saturday 02/18/2012 9:46 PM EST paying for 10M down and 767K up. I am a long ways from that!

I wish everytime it dropped like this the FCC would fine their butt!

How do I contact the FCC?

jang0

That is exactly what's happening to me after 4pm weekdays and stays like that throughout the weekends. Interwebs are unusable from Friday 4pm - Monday... I'm so sick of it...

Here, I think.
»esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

We all need to get together and get a class action law suit going.

Crusty

join:2008-11-11
Sanger, TX
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
·CenturyLink

said by jang0:

Heh...I've thought of this myself. Don't know if it would do any good or if there would actually be a "case" but surely the publicity would be bad enough to CTL that they actually might get off their rears and do something about it.

mdaddyrabbit
Premium
Clinton, NC

1 edit

I agree, I pay the bill every month whether I get the service I am paying for or not. When I provide my computer service to others I don't expect to get paid if I don't do the service. Centurylink can monitor how much bandwidth we use and charge for excess amounts of bandwidth but they cannot keep up with out service and speed drop-page and charge accordingly.

In other words we get charged for using too much but we do not get a reduction in our bill when we get less of what we pay for.

CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID
kudos:7
reply to mdaddyrabbit

Hi, everyone.

Seeing as our many locations might have different reasons for having trouble, it's best if we can run tests on your particular account to see what your specific cause is.

Email us at TalkToUs@Centurylink.com

Thank you!

-Doug

CappinHoff

join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to jang0

said by jang0:

That is exactly what's happening to me after 4pm weekdays and stays like that throughout the weekends. Interwebs are unusable from Friday 4pm - Monday... I'm so sick of it...

Here, I think.
»esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

To bad when you sign up for it there is a little phrase that says "up to xx speeds" somewhere in the paper work. That phrase pretty much clears them of issues.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to mdaddyrabbit

DSL is a deregulated service. The FCC considers it an "information service". FCC complaints would be a waste of time, because the FCC has no jurisdiction over DSL speeds.
As mentioned, the "up to" Fairy God Mother protects the provider.

Only congress can give the FCC jurisdiction over DSL. Write to your congressional representatives if it is important enough to you.
--
...because I care.

jang0

Clearwire is being sued for the exact same issue that CL has right now. Slow speeds, disconnects. Just putting "up to" doesn't clear them from charging us full price for half of a service.

My house burned 4 years ago, and there was an "up to" type phrase in my insurance policy which allowed my insurance company not to pay anything on my home. I fought and won. Those phrases aren't concrete. I've already talked to a lawyer and he doesn't seem to think that it's out of the question. Would just need lots of people to be on board. Which doesn't seem a far off shot considering how many people in rural and small markets are having issues.

Way2Slow

join:2009-11-18
Efland, NC
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

DSL is a deregulated service. The FCC considers it an "information service". FCC complaints would be a waste of time, because the FCC has no jurisdiction over DSL speeds.

Only congress can give the FCC jurisdiction over DSL. Write to your congressional representatives if it is important enough to you.

So what's that "white box" about? Aren't those being deployed by the FCC to test for just this sort of DSL scam?

I just got a reply from SamKnows about my request to participate. I'm in central NC and my DSL speeds are a crap shoot. Sometimes 3 Meg, sometimes less than 1. Last night it was virtually useless.

terminx

join:2007-09-20
Hartford, AR
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

Ohh, that must be why there's a form on fcc.gov to submit complaints against broadband providers for "Service issue (e.g. signal quality, service interruption)". Right?

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

Yeah, you're right. I'm just making this stuff up for fun. Not.
Do a little "googling" before you lambast me for stating the truth. You'll see I'm right.

The "SamKnows" situation is this (in a nutshell): the FCC was directed to come up with a "national broadband plan". The silly routers are part of the R & D for this plan, and nothing more. They are a waste of the taxpayers money, as this information is already available from sources like DSLReports.com and Ookla.

You can file all the FCC complaints you want about speed, but it wont do you one damn bit of good. You're wasting electrons. Cable and DSL broadband services fall under title 1 "ISP" type scenarios. In the early days of DSL, the phone companies specifically made the DSL portion of their business a separate entity in order to skirt common carrier requirements.
This kept the DSL portion "272 compliant", allowing them to act like a title 1 company. In 2005 and 2010, the "big guys" won out, and no longer had to strictly maintain the 272 compliance.
They won because cable broadband was "untouchable", so why shouldn't DSL be untouchable too (?).

The FCC does have "some" jurisdiction over ISP services. Those that come to mind would be interference, port blocking, content filtering, etc...

As mentioned, the "up to" claim has held up for ISPs time after time. I'm not aware of any successful "up to" case vs. an ISP.

Changing the law is the only thing you can do. Start by writing your representative.
--
...because I care.

pwtenny

join:2010-10-11
Danbury, NC
reply to mdaddyrabbit

Can't be done. We agreed to take all disputes to arbitration when we signed up:

It is important that you read this section 10 carefully. It provides for resolution of disputes (whether based in contract, tort, statute, fraud, misrepresentation or any other legal or equitable theory), through final and binding arbitration before a single neutral arbitrator instead of in a court by judge or jury or through a Class Action.

All disputes arising out of or relating to this agreement including any dispute based on any service or advertising of the service related thereto, shall be resolved by final and binding arbitration, which shall be governed by the Federal Arbitration Act ("FAA"), 9 U.S.C. §1-16.

Way2Slow

join:2009-11-18
Efland, NC
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

Yeah, you're right. I'm just making this stuff up for fun. Not.
Do a little "googling" before you lambast me for stating the truth. You'll see I'm right.

The "SamKnows" situation is this (in a nutshell): the FCC was directed to come up with a "national broadband plan". The silly routers are part of the R & D for this plan, and nothing more. They are a waste of the taxpayers money, as this information is already available from sources like DSLReports.com and Ookla.

You can file all the FCC complaints you want about speed, but it wont do you one damn bit of good. You're wasting electrons. Cable and DSL broadband services fall under title 1 "ISP" type scenarios. In the early days of DSL, the phone companies specifically made the DSL portion of their business a separate entity in order to skirt common carrier requirements.
This kept the DSL portion "272 compliant", allowing them to act like a title 1 company. In 2005 and 2010, the "big guys" won out, and no longer had to strictly maintain the 272 compliance.
They won because cable broadband was "untouchable", so why shouldn't DSL be untouchable too (?).

The FCC does have "some" jurisdiction over ISP services. Those that come to mind would be interference, port blocking, content filtering, etc...

As mentioned, the "up to" claim has held up for ISPs time after time. I'm not aware of any successful "up to" case vs. an ISP.

Changing the law is the only thing you can do. Start by writing your representative.

I'm not a bit surprised. We've had the best Congress money can buy for some time now. The anti-regulation argument I hear every day is what got us to this point I'm afraid. It's time for a REAL change that can only be brought about by a massive change of representation in Congress. The president is only allowed to carry out the laws as passed by Congress.

mdaddyrabbit
Premium
Clinton, NC
reply to mdaddyrabbit

Click for full size
Tonight I did another speed test because my 10M was slow opening and downloading.

Chad8

join:2012-02-22
Luray, VA
reply to mdaddyrabbit

I am a software architect so internet speed is critical when working with remote systems, moving large files etc.

My internet speed has also decreased steadily and has been spotty in the past months. This week the download speed was consistently less than 1mb/sec. I was paying for 5mb/sec.

I called and went through the usual, even though I knew it was on their end.

They said they would upgrade me to 10mb/sec, for about $20/less month, and fix the issues. They told me to call back on Wednesday if I was still experiencing the issues.

Well, it is Wednesday, and the speed is not anywhere close to 5mb. It is steadily around ~1.25mb.

I call in, and find out that the techs switched me to 1.5mb, because of the "bandwidth exhaustion" in my area. They had not notified me, and was not going to change my bill. Luckily I was on top of things and called.

I had them switch me to the Pure Broadband at 1.5mb (since 1.5mb is the most you can get in this area now) and dropped my bill by $50.

That said, I DO NOT WANT 1.5mb. I am literally going to have to move because it is too slow for what I need to do. 3 years I have been here and things were fine, until Centurylink bought out Embarq.

I have already made calls to the local newspaper and will be posting it on the various social fees. Centurylink will not get away with charging for 5mb+ and only delivering 1.5mb. That is a dirty business move and is completely unacceptable.

Centurylink, it's on.

mdaddyrabbit
Premium
Clinton, NC

Chad, I am so sorry for your troubles. I know exactly how you feel. I depend on my connection for many reasons besides just enjoyment but its got to the point at night my speed goes away. Maybe if we continue to speak of our issues and consistantly complain maybe we will get some help from some where.

Chad8

join:2012-02-22
Luray, VA

Yes, when Centurylink has a thousand or more customers in my area call in to save $50/month, it should make them sit up and notice. I plan to put this in the local newspapers and get it on our local TV station.

Losing $600k a year in a rural area like this should hurt them where it counts.

jang0

Same issues here for 2 months now, I think... but this is like the 20th straight day of unusable webnets after 4pm... I can't stand it... I can't move, and I there's no other options until 4g gets here, so centurylink is just taking my money and laughing in my face...