how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FF4me

@verizon.net

Female Passengers Say They're Targeted By TSA

From CBS News:

Women passengers complain that TSA agents are targeting them for extra screening.

The Transportation Security Administration has a policy to randomly select people for extra screening, but some female passengers are complaining. They believe there is nothing “random” about the way they were picked.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24

2 recommendations

From my past experiences, I would have to agree. I don't/won't fly any more!

Secyurityet
Premium
join:2012-01-07
untied state

1 recommendation

reply to FF4me
I'd need to see photos to judge for myself...

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:1

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to FF4me
Until people get it through their thick heads and stop flying in protest. Sky is the limit for the TSA regarding privacy and what they feel should be done.

aussiedog

join:2007-01-10
Colorado Springs, CO
said by KoRnGtL15:

Until people get it through their thick heads and stop flying in protest. Sky is the limit for the TSA regarding privacy and what they feel should be done.

+1
Although for business it's nearly impossible and for emergency travel (family death etc.) it's a necessity. Otherwise I don't fly unless I have absolutely no other recourse.

FF4me

@rr.com
reply to KoRnGtL15
said by KoRnGtL15:

Until people get it through their thick heads and stop flying in protest...

Agreed.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
said by FF4me :

said by KoRnGtL15:

Until people get it through their thick heads and stop flying in protest...

Agreed.

Some of us can't not fly.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
No boat/cruise service from Hawaii to the mainland? I'm asking seriously - I don't know.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
You don't understand, most fly from island to island within the state of Hawaii, that is how you get around.
There was a super ferry proposed but environmentalists said it would negatively affect sea life and blocked it.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

reply to FF4me
Every time I've flown since the terrible day, I've been frisked and my luggage heavily inspected, I always get pulled aside and my CPAP gets rag tested.

So what? Big freaking deal. You folks that get bent out of shape over this are too self important. Ever been with a lover? They felt you too, did you complain about that?

National security requires all of us to live a different life. People whine and whine about getting frisked. Let me tell you, if you want something real to complain about, see what a day is like for a soldier in country, or how it feels for those TSA agents, what it is like to be in THEIR shoes.

Nothing to see her, move along folks.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Pseudonym01

join:2012-01-20
reply to FF4me
I have no doubt it has happened (and is totally unacceptable) but given the huge number of people who fly it may be comparatively small. The numbers may be skewed one way or another because some actual abuse may not be mentioned while stuff that is not abuse may be overblown if someone is a bit too self-important.

I happen to believe that anyone who gets extra screening feels that they are being singled out unfairly. Because, technically they are. Fair (forgetting 'proper' for a moment) screening would involve everyone getting the same treatment.

Last time I took an international flight (through O'Hare) I had zero problems, and noticed no issues around me as well. The process and hassle level was about the same when I was in Europe at two different airports. Same on the way back; honestly not that bad.

I agree we shouldn't tolerate gross incompetence, but mistakes and bad behaviour are going to happen on some level here and there. A little perspective helps.
--
"When everyone *is* out to get to you, being paranoid isn't going to help. So let's eat cake."

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
What was the alert level in the USA when you flew?

Pseudonym01

I believe it was High/Orange, because it was an International flight. I don't think that's changed in a while.

If you were referring to me, that is...
--
"When everyone *is* out to get to you, being paranoid isn't going to help. So let's eat cake."

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
reply to FF4me
Quite understandable in a country where highschool graduation gifts are often boob jobs. Perhaps all those implants look like small handgrenades upon scanning??

Pseudonym01

Sounds like wishful thinking, to me...

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to FF4me
said by FF4me :

Women passengers complain that TSA agents are targeting them for extra screening.

It's more security theater.

I also believe it's because generally speaking, women are less likely to complain than men. TSA agents have to spend all day doing less-than-pleasant things that they know people don't like, so they consciously or unconsciously pick the people who look more good-natured and will complain less.

Personally, my idea of a rewarding job isn't listening to complaints and body-searching people I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole if I didn't have to feed my family.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Pseudonym01
I thought the alert level was the same for all USA airports and has nothing to do with whether a flight was leaving the USA.

High/orange is when women get harassed much more than when it is at a lower level. You can feel it in the air. It is palpable and it is best to avoid flying during such periods if possible (especially if you are a woman). So, since you had no problems in a large airport like O'Hare, I figured that might well be due to a more normal alert level. There is a huge difference here in Hawaii, small airports or large, when the alert level is not at high.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson
Expand your moderator at work

swsnyder

join:1999-07-23
Noblesville, IN
reply to signmeuptoo

Re: Female Passengers Say They're Targeted By TSA

said by signmeuptoo:

National security requires all of us to live a different life. People whine and whine about getting frisked. Let me tell you, if you want something real to complain about, see what a day is like for a soldier in country, or how it feels for those TSA agents, what it is like to be in THEIR shoes.

Cry me a river. If you're "in country" it's because you volunteered to be a member of an occupying force that brings death and destruction to some other country. That's hardly the same as being felt up because you want to be transported from point A to point B.

Tell you what: I won't stop you from choosing coercion as an occupation and you don't frisk me and confiscate my shampoo at the airport. Deal?

shakinghead

@sbc.com
reply to signmeuptoo
said by signmeuptoo:

Nothing to see her, move along folks.

That's some serious Jim Jones koolaid right there...