jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei to rugby

Premium Member

to rugby

Re: [OS X] Mountain Lion coming this summer

I consider the last version of OS_X to be snow leopard. It is the last one for the real server (which Apple has now abandonned), and the last version before Apple decided to transfor desktops into IOS devices.

For my server, if/when snow leopard can no longer run software I need, I will be going Linux.

For the desktop, I really don't know. But staying at snow leopard means that I will likely no longer be getting any updates for the basic apple software like itunes etc.

I still need rosetta BTW.

AAPL is doing really well. But I don't like the direction that Apple is taking the desktops so I won't be spending much money with Apple anymore. Big question i whether people like me are to be a tiny group and AAPL will cotinue to do well, or whether there will be a growing trend of people who stay away from Apple because of all the control and proprietary stuff they do.

It is about time that Adobe ported its software like photoshop and illustrator to Linux.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

1 recommendation

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by jfmezei:

I consider the last version of OS_X to be snow leopard. It is the last one for the real server (which Apple has now abandonned), and the last version before Apple decided to transfor desktops into IOS devices.

How is Lion Server different? Once you install the Server Admin Tools, it seems to me all the same functionality of Snow Leopard Server is there.
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

Admin tools for Lion have been dumbed down. Lion server is now targetted at home servers. Apple exited the business server market. And Apple no longer produces software that drives real server via IPMI since it no longer makes server hardware.

So snow leopard was the last version that had targetted support for real servers. It isn't even clear to me if the server monitor application is distributed with Lion.
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen

Premium Member

said by jfmezei:

Admin tools for Lion have been dumbed down.

Server Admin and Workgroup Manager are still available for Lion. They're just no longer included with the default install. They can be downloaded and used along side the new Server app.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

Daemon to jfmezei

Premium Member

to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

Admin tools for Lion have been dumbed down. Lion server is now targetted at home servers. Apple exited the business server market. And Apple no longer produces software that drives real server via IPMI since it no longer makes server hardware.

So snow leopard was the last version that had targetted support for real servers. It isn't even clear to me if the server monitor application is distributed with Lion.

Do you actually use Lion server? I have a Lion server running 24/7, and the only statement in your post I find accurate is apple's lack of dedicated server hardware.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
as I learned the hard way: minus print server, minus FTP, VPN was nerfed (got PPTP back in the last update), and a few other services were removed as well.
Count Zero

Count Zero to jfmezei

Premium Member

to jfmezei
It is in the server tools package still, but probably no point in it.
rugby
I think I know it all.
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

rugby to Daemon

to Daemon
said by Daemon:

Do you actually use Lion server? I have a Lion server running 24/7, and the only statement in your post I find accurate is apple's lack of dedicated server hardware.

Ummm, Lion server blows. Apache configuration is a complete piece of garbage requiring terminal to change a lot of settings that could once be done in Server Admin. iCal server sucks, Address Book server sucks, FileSharing enables Apache and kills off competing services on ALL IP addresses on the server.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon

Premium Member

said by rugby:

Ummm, Lion server blows. Apache configuration is a complete piece of garbage requiring terminal to change a lot of settings that could once be done in Server Admin. iCal server sucks, Address Book server sucks, FileSharing enables Apache and kills off competing services on ALL IP addresses on the server.

U mad? It's always been that way. Half-baked. It hasn't changed much in several releases.
rugby
I think I know it all.
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

rugby

said by Daemon:

U mad? It's always been that way. Half-baked. It hasn't changed much in several releases.

Yeah, I'm mad at Apple for producing such a heaping pile of shit of a server. Especially when I make money selling these solutions. Lion server is just terrible and I'm actually considering recommending a NAS device or a Windows server for clients. Even if they are a Mac only shop.
rugby

rugby to Daemon

to Daemon
said by Daemon:

Yeah, I'm mad at Apple for producing such a heaping pile of shit of a server. Especially when I make money selling these solutions. Lion server is just terrible and I'm actually considering recommending a NAS device or a Windows server for clients. Even if they are a Mac only shop.