All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dbenoy
join:2012-01-27
Kitchener, ON

dbenoy

WARNING: Acanac promises a static IP, and lies!

When I signed up, the site claimed I could get a static IP. It had a little caveat asterisk that said that it's VPN based. That's fine by me. However, the little asterisk left out something important.

BE WARNED! Everyone who uses the VPN has to SHARE the same public IP!

This is not a static IP in the traditional sense, and will be useless for many of the purposes of a static IP!

Will still work: Bypassing firewalls or server security that don't use DNS. (That's about it.)

Will not work: 6to4 tunnels, static DNS records, Fixed IPSec, connecting to your home without DNS, etc.
Lynn0
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
Trenton, ON

1 edit

Lynn0

Premium Member

Acanac, Inc.

You ARE entitled to a static IP and in the contract it states to send an email to support@acanac.com and give them your user name, name on account and address and ask for a static IP and you will be given one after you are signed up.
If you would have come on and asked how to get it I could have told you earlier instead of accusing us of lying to the customers. This is what jumping to conclusions before even asking for help does.
dbenoy
Kitchener, ON

1 edit

dbenoy

What I've been provided is vastly different than any reasonable interpretation of your advertising.
dbenoy

dbenoy to Lynn0

to Lynn0
Also, I suggest you read my post again. I'm not complaining about the issue of how it took weeks to get a response about how to get my """""Static IP""""".

Although, that is clearly an issue.
Lynn0
Premium Member
Trenton, ON

3 edits

Lynn0

Premium Member

When you sign up you are given a dynamic IP. To get your Static IP you send email to support@acanac.com.
What do you mean by what you have been provided with? Do you mean the one you were provided with when you signed up or have you applied for a static by emailing?

EDIT: I see what your saying about it being VPN based. If you have questions on the IP assigned the only one that can answer that is support.
dbenoy
Kitchener, ON

dbenoy

Yes I've received what Acanac disingenuously calls a "static IP"

See my original post above. Acanac took weeks to get me to this point, but their absurdly slow response time is not my complaint.

This is a very important warning! Customers who expect a genuine statically assigned dedicated IP will NOT receive it from Acanac despite their deceptive advertising.
dbenoy

dbenoy

Re: WARNING: Acanac promises a static IP, and lies!

This isn't a matter of 'having questions'

This is a either some crooked scam or some obscenely negligent oversight.

To put it in non technical terms, it would be like offering someone a brand new free car with a purchase of a house, and supplying a tonka toy after the payment is settled.

The 'VPN' part is not an issue. VPNs do not prevent the assignment of genuine dedicated IPs.
Lynn0
Premium Member
Trenton, ON

Lynn0

Premium Member

Then if you would like this to be settled you need to send this to feedback@acanac.com. That is where the owners read . Posting it here is fine and to "let others know' as you say but it will nor solve your problem as i can't change the way the company sets things up. Feedback will get their attention faster.
wilsonlam97
join:2010-12-08
Scarborough, ON

wilsonlam97

said by Lynn0:

Then if you would like this to be settled you need to send this to feedback@acanac.com. That is where the owners read . Posting it here is fine and to "let others know' as you say but it will nor solve your problem as i can't change the way the company sets things up. Feedback will get their attention faster.

Hey instead of BS'ing on this forum why don't you respond positively? You've demonstrated that you can't do much about the situation but that doesn't mean you need to BS about emailing one of your lovely *sarcasm* departments. You KNOW that emailing acanac with this issue won't do shit. You mind as well admit that as a representative of Acanac you openly express that the service that's being provided was misleading and the IP addresses assigned were static though it was being shared with other users connected to the VPN as well and not *truly* dedicated as it's been marketed. (deceptively)

Your excuses and explanations are futile.
Lynn0
Premium Member
Trenton, ON

Lynn0

Premium Member

Wilson It is not BS as you call it. I do not work in tec support and can not solve problems for that department. I do NOT know how they assign their static IPS. Instead of being so rude why don't you read correctly? I have stated many times on this forum that I do not work in tec department, am not a tec and can't solve problems that involve anything technical here. That is why we have the phone number for you to call tec support or email support@acanac.com. IF the customers are having problems that can not be solved through sales or tec and they want help that is the place to send feedback.
Expand your moderator at work
dbenoy
Kitchener, ON

dbenoy to Lynn0

to Lynn0

Re: WARNING: Acanac promises a static IP, and lies!

Acanac claims that they're "working on" getting their customers genuine static IPs through their VPNs. (They actually volunteered this information to me. I didn't have to solicit it or e-mail feedback@acanac like you suggest.)

It's also a bit concerning to hear a suggestion that I should send an e-mail about the issue because posting here will "not solve your problem". Are you implying that this fraud is not a subject worthy of being discussed in a public forum?

I think discussing this kind of sleazy behavior is exactly why DSL Reports exists.

If you want to speak on behalf of Acanac, I suggest you reply with an apology. Perhaps some assurance that this is rank negligence by your advertising department, and not the malevolent deception that it appears to be.
Lynn0
Premium Member
Trenton, ON

Lynn0

Premium Member

said by dbenoy:

Acanac claims that they're "working on" getting their customers genuine static IPs through their VPNs. (They actually volunteered this information to me. I didn't have to solicit it or e-mail feedback@acanac like you suggest.)

--I told you to email feedback about how you felt about this not to have it changed.

It's also a bit concerning to hear a suggestion that I should send an e-mail about the issue because posting here will "not solve your problem". Are you implying that this fraud is not a subject worthy of being discussed in a public forum?

-- I never said or thought. I just said the forum is not the place to have it changed.

-- I suggested you send the email because I can not change how the support team runs things.

If you want to speak on behalf of Acanac, I suggest you reply with an apology. Perhaps some assurance that this is rank negligence by your advertising department, and not the malevolent deception that it appears to be.

--if that is what they are doing or you think they are doing discuss it with the owners. I wish I could tell you I can change it for you but I can't.
--I DO speak on behalf of Acanac and they are the ones that sign my paycheck and give me orders. I told you here what I have been told. If the information was not correct than you have to take that up with them. I do not owe you an apology for telling you something that I was told was the truth. If this is how you feel about what they told you why post it here except for letting others know, which I see your point BUT it will not solve the issue here. It has to be dealt with in that department.
YogiB
join:2010-08-18
Montreal, QC

YogiB to dbenoy

to dbenoy
I'm an Acanac client, after signing up I replied to the confirmation email requesting the static IP. One day and a modem reboot later, my IP was static.

I never use the VPN tunnel, I can imagine that the IP address on the other side is shared.

But there's no catch on the IP address of your DSL line. Don't know what you're ranting about.

If you don't have your static IP, then it's probably because you posed the wrong questions.
Lynn0
Premium Member
Trenton, ON

Lynn0

Premium Member

Thank you Jurjen.

CableSatatic
@acanac.net

CableSatatic to YogiB

Anon

to YogiB
I think the subject is about static IP for Cable Internet
Lynn0
Premium Member
Trenton, ON

Lynn0

Premium Member

And i think that is what is being discussed here.

yorkman2
@24.114.210.x

yorkman2

Anon

It's still very deceptive. It leads the customer to believe you get a static ip. While this is true for DSL users, it is NOT true for cable users. I had dsl once and had my own static ip. Now they won't give me one because I'm on cable.

I've no use for vpn based static ip in the context that acanac offers. I need a static ip for my own domain name, email, dns, etc.
Lynn0
Premium Member
Trenton, ON

Lynn0

Premium Member

The only thing I can tell you is to talk to tec support as that is the department that assigns the static ips.
dbenoy
Kitchener, ON

dbenoy to YogiB

to YogiB
Edit: My bad, he was talking about DSL. I was talking about cable. Redacted.
dbenoy

dbenoy to Lynn0

to Lynn0
said by Lynn0:

The only thing I can tell you is to talk to tec support as that is the department that assigns the static ips.

I don't know about yorkman2, but I'm not interested in talking to Acanac anymore. They pulled a really crooked, sneaky move here.

There's no way to argue that this false advertising isn't intentional, or the most severe kind of rank negligence.

This reminds me of that story where mobsters were selling dog milk to schools.
Lynn0
Premium Member
Trenton, ON

Lynn0

Premium Member

If that is how you feel send feedback in about it where the owners can read it.
anh2
join:2007-07-08
Brampton, ON

anh2 to dbenoy

to dbenoy
I had complained last yr and lynn and their tech support pretty much same thing. I filed a complaint with BBB and government for false advertising already. you should do the same.