share rss forum feed

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium
join:2004-07-08
united state
reply to joako

Re: Great

Cell Phones should be outlawed from car use period!

All Cell phones, and other communication devices should not be allowed to be used while the person is driving. If the person wants to send a text or make a phone call, that person should have to pull off the side of the road to do it...failure to do so and or caught should fall under DUI Laws and be treated no different then a drunk driver.

in 2006 the University of Utah did a 3 year study on cellphones and driving, and the results were:

We found that people are as impaired when they drive and talk on a cell phone as they are when they drive intoxicated at the legal blood-alcohol limit” of 0.08 percent, which is the minimum level that defines illegal drunken driving in most U.S. states, says study co-author Frank Drews, an assistant professor of psychology. “If legislators really want to address driver distraction, then they should consider outlawing cell phone use while driving.”

»unews.utah.edu/old/p/062206-1.html

People who text/talk on a cell phone while driving are just as much impaired as a person over the legal limit of alcohol 0.08% which is DUI in most states.

Do you want people being allowed to drive around drunk? Of course you don't! no sane person does!...well guess what? That cellphone impairs you just as much as getting drunk and driving.

The government has an obligation to outlaw their use in cars....the job of the government is to protect its citizens....The government's has an obligation to soceity to protect "me from you" and to protect "you from me" it however has no place in protecting "you from yourself" or "me from myself"

however folks who drive while texting and or using cellphones put other peoples lives in jeopardy and they have NO RIGHT to do that....in fact if a person kills someone in a car accident and that person was talking or texting on a cell phone, that person should be charged vehicular-homicide laws just like it does if a drunk driver kills someone.

fact is cell phones in cars impair the drivers ability to operate the car the way it was intended....its an unnecessary danger that needs to be stopped....

this is not being a nanny government...this is about protecting other peoples right to drive on public roads with a reasonable assumption of safety....it has nothing to do with freedoms...a person should be free to use their cell phone however they please....as long as its not when behind the wheel of a car...just like a person is free to consume beer as long as he don't get behind the wheel....

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
quote:

Be careful with blanket statments,

The first few drafts of the distracted driving law here, banned cell phones and mp3 players while said vehicle is in motion - for everybody, both passengers and drivers, if you are driving, I see no issue with someone in the back-seat sending a text message.

But car use period! Is not something I can support.

There is also a big difference between talking on a phone going down the highway at 65mph, with no vehicles around, and driving in traffic.

I will admit I will talk on my phone, and have no issue doing so, when I am on the highway. When I am in the city, no way will I touch my phone.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

jtudor
Xm 60's On 6 Freak
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-07
Morganton, NC
said by kevinds:

quote:

But car use period! Is not something I can support.

There is also a big difference between talking on a phone going down the highway at 65mph, with no vehicles around, and driving in traffic.

And for the large majority of people, talking on a cell phone with a Bluetooth headset is NO DIFFERENT than talking to a passenger in the car. Yes there are some people who get into their conversation too much but they are a minority. The rest of us should not have to suffer due to a few idiots.

Are we next going to ban passengers, or put a soundproof compartment around the driver?? That's where we are headed if this foolishness is allowed to proceed.
--
Best of luck

"Do, or Do not, there is no try!" Yoda