Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

yhp

join:2006-12-27
Philadelphia, PA
reply to MannyMannyMa

Re: $1.99 FEE to PAY BILL AT LOCAL COMCAST OFFICE

Comcast places a much higher value on their product and we pay it.

Well, we know that Comcast values handing you a rental box @ $10 from this thread:

»[Bill] Comcast "Service Charge"

I wonder what they charge to tell you 'No, we don't have the box you want' and 'No we don't know when any will come in'. (Do you think that's two separate fees? Is it cheaper to bundle?)

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to tbare54

"You can put it in an envelop and drop it in the drop box or pay online and no charge."

So why not do either of these? I suppose it makes you feel warm and fuzzy for someone to hold you hand through the payment process?

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX
kudos:1
reply to sabretooth

Buy a bunch of forever stamps prior to going to $.50.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to yhp

most of the offices also are place there the keep all trucks / cables and other stuff that the installers / techs uses. So lights and heat are paid for under other costs.

voipnpots

join:2011-10-13
USA
reply to tbare54

In my area (South Florida), my local Comcast service center is always jam packed with a ton of pissed off people. You have to wait HOURS in line just to exchange a DTA or something. What they really need to do is open up more service center locations to relieve the extreme customer tension at their existing ones.

jhejr

join:2010-10-10
Verona, MS
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to tbare54

Comcast:

Close local office,better customer service =more money on bottom line.

Pay low wage person to take in equipment, and give out eqipment=better customer service = more money on bottom line.

Any problems call 1-800-comcast,our well trained customer service people are waiting to help you.

Floppy

join:2002-07-03

said by jhejr:

Comcast:

Close local office,better customer service =more money on bottom line.

Pay low wage person to take in equipment, and give out eqipment=better customer service = more money on bottom line.

Any problems call 1-800-comcast,our well trained customer service people are waiting to help you.

Closing local offices = poor customer service for those who want to avoid additional fees by picking up equipment themselves.

MannyMannyMa

@comcast.net
reply to yhp

said by yhp:

Comcast places a much higher value on their product and we pay it.

Well, we know that Comcast values handing you a rental box @ $10

That's correct - and if we pay it, we validate the value they place on it. If I recall correctly that poster complained and his $10 was refunded. If more people do that, the message to Comcast is "we don't agree with that value proposition and we won't pay it or we'll chase after a refund, costing you time and money." Then maybe Comcast will rethink that policy.

scanpa
Premium
join:2006-09-06
Lebanon, PA

2 edits
reply to tbare54

Reportedly it will soon cost $4.95 to pay online at comcast.com, and the fee is for the 3rd. party CC / Chk processing fee.

this has been in the works since 2011.

EDIT: fixed post

dsl2012

@comcast.net

quote:
it cost $4.95 to pay online at comcast.com, and the fee is for the 3rd. party CC / Chk processing fee.
...since when? I pay online every month and am not charged.

scanpa
Premium
Lebanon, PA

sorry, it will soon cost 4.95 to pay online.....

I will fix the post.

dsl2012

@comcast.net

Wow, so I guess mailing the paper bill would be the best bet? If someone is on Ecobill, they should probably change it. Do you know when this will take effect? Do you have a link to that information?

scanpa
Premium
Lebanon, PA

This will only apply to one time bill pay. There still not charging any fees if you are signed up for auto bill. that is what they want, everyone to be on auto billing.

no link to this info, it's from someone at Comcast Corp HQ.

dsl2012

@comcast.net

That's not fair. The reason I don't have the auto-pay option enabled is because Comcast screws up my bill so much that I many times have to call and ask them questions before I manually pay it. So what you're saying is that there will be no way to pay (other than through the mail) in a one-time manner without a fee?

Comcast has just hit a new low.

scanpa
Premium
Lebanon, PA
reply to scanpa

It's not a real shocker, everyone else charges a fee, my Electric and NG oil provider, cell phone provider charges fee's for pay bill online options. most companies also charge 3rd. party fees for bills paid over the phone.

Comcast is just catching up to the 3rd. party bill fee's.

Heck where i live, i get the pleasure of paying a local / state tax to have the right to work at a job each year.....

dsl2012

@comcast.net

Yeah, I am actually the last guy to complain about Comcast. I love their services and what they're about...but this would be the first online payment system I use where I would be charged...

Again, the only reason I'm not on auto-bill is because I'm afraid of them not billing me correctly.

It's not the actual fee that's bothering me. What's bothering me is that they're cornering me and not allowing me to use their online payment system at my convenience. I will have to go back to the old days where I paid by mail.

scanpa
Premium
Lebanon, PA

well, she had no idea when this will be enacted, it was discussed at some internal financial meeting.

yhp

Philadelphia, PA
reply to dsl2012

said by dsl2012 :

I will have to go back to the old days where I paid by mail.

Until the Post Office is finally dismantled, or Comcast decides to start charging a fee to deal with paper, 50 cents to the US postal service is still your best bargain, unless you can walk to a Comcast dropoff box.

I'm actually surprised that Comcast is rolling out fees-for-online-pay before fees-for-handling-paper. Banks and credit unions have been using fees-for-paper for years to pry folks away from their checkbooks.

Since the eventual goal of all these rent-seekers (not just Comcast) is to just get you to yell "Uncle!" and grant them direct privs to your checking account, I'd have thought the slow-boil approach would be what they'd use. Having a very high one-time fee for non-paper methods seems counterintuitive.

You'd think they at least learn what drug dealers already know: Make the first taste free.

yhp

Philadelphia, PA
reply to MannyMannyMa

said by MannyMannyMa :

That's correct - and if we pay it, we validate the value they place on it.

No - we're not validating the value of anything. All we're "validating" is that every other option is less acceptable.

Comcast may charge $10 to hand you a box, but since no one else is standing on street corners handing out boxes, there aren't many choices. The $1.99 to drop your payment off at an office on your bill's due date is less onerous than paying whatever the current late fee is to mail it in once you've waited that long.

All that's getting "validated" is that what's being "offered" beats the alternatives. By removing alternatives, Comcast gets us to "agree".

DrDrew
So that others may surf.
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:12

said by yhp:

The $1.99 to drop your payment off at an office on your bill's due date ...

The fee doesn't occur when you drop off the payment, the fee occurs when you choose to interact with an office CSR during the payment.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2
reply to tbare54

No offense, but why should I subsidize people who waste a human Comcast employee's time to use an obsolete method of payment? They have every right to charge people for what they use.

MannyMannyMa

@comcast.net
reply to yhp

said by yhp:

No - we're not validating the value of anything. All we're "validating" is that every other option is less acceptable.

Comcast may charge $10 to hand you a box, but since no one else is standing on street corners handing out boxes, there aren't many choices. The $1.99 to drop your payment off at an office on your bill's due date is less onerous than paying whatever the current late fee is to mail it in once you've waited that long.

All that's getting "validated" is that what's being "offered" beats the alternatives. By removing alternatives, Comcast gets us to "agree".

I'd agree with you if cable tv were a necessity. The alternative is to say no thanks, I'll find another entertainment source.

yhp

Philadelphia, PA
reply to ctggzg

said by ctggzg:

[...]waste a human Comcast employee's time

You misspelled "provide basic customer service".

to use an obsolete method of payment? They have every right to charge people for what they use.

Comcast got the math wrong on what its prices need to be to cover basic customer service for things _Comcast_ deems necessary (such as having a piece of their hardware behind every screen in the home). That's their call.

As for bill payment, everyone's situation is different. US Mail is only easy and cheap if you have a free checking account, for example. A whole host of things have to be in place before e-billing makes sense: things that might be a no-brainer to you, but not to everybody. Part of the sweet deal they enjoy of collecting $$ from every house with a TV is that they have to deal with outliers, either in technology, knowledge, time, being at home for UPS deliveries, cash on hand, or payment methods available to those customers.

Bottom line: You want to collect from everybody? You gotta serve everybody. When I've seen folks in line at the office, it never looks like a giant party to me - nobody's there unless they have to be.

Rambo76098

join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to mikedz4

said by mikedz4:

if they close offices how are we supposed to get or exchange equipment?

Mail/UPS/Fedex etc

Rambo76098

join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to scanpa

said by scanpa:

It's not a real shocker, everyone else charges a fee, my Electric and NG oil provider, cell phone provider charges fee's for pay bill online options. most companies also charge 3rd. party fees for bills paid over the phone.

Comcast is just catching up to the 3rd. party bill fee's.

Heck where i live, i get the pleasure of paying a local / state tax to have the right to work at a job each year.....

Uhh, not everyone else charges...none of mine do. My condo assoc charges if you use their autopay, so instead, my bank mails them a check with my account number on it every month for free. If any of the utilities started charging fees for online payments, they'd be getting the same treatment from me!

(And yes, many of us pay state & local income taxes).

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to yhp

said by yhp:

said by MannyMannyMa :

That's correct - and if we pay it, we validate the value they place on it.

your not being charged to drop your bill off...your being charged to deal with the person at the counter....doesnt cost moeny to put your envelope in the drop box!
--
I'm better than you!

yhp

Philadelphia, PA

said by gar187er:

your not being charged to drop your bill off...your being charged to deal with the person at the counter....doesnt cost moeny to put your envelope in the drop box!

The drop box doesn't give you a receipt confirming payment - probably especially important if you're there on the due date, or trying to avoid a cutoff, or paying in cash or credit card.

Again, since it's not like any Comcast service location is party central, it's really not the case that there are hordes of freeloading party animals in parrothead hats standing in line at Comcast for the fun of it, margaritas in hand.

If they're there, odds are that something has gone wrong, and that's what customer service is for: when something goes wrong. Comcast obviously sees it as a revenue stream.

voipnpots

join:2011-10-13
USA

I believe there is a setting in your online Comcast account (under view/edit alerts in Users and Settings) that allows you to be notified when your bill is accepted. Not sure if this is just for online payment, or if it's also for mail-in payment...

treichhart

join:2006-12-12
reply to tbare54

Maybe you need to tip off »stopthecap.com about this fee to see if they can find out more information about this fee for you?

Floppy

join:2002-07-03
reply to yhp

said by yhp:

said by gar187er:

The drop box doesn't give you a receipt confirming payment -

Neither does mailing it via post office.