uniqs
share rss forum feed

yhp

join:2006-12-27
Philadelphia, PA
reply to rody_44

Re: $1.99 FEE to PAY BILL AT LOCAL COMCAST OFFICE

said by rody_44:

Let me get this. Your saying you get a paper trail by mailing your check but you get no paper trail by dropping the same check off in the drop box?

Even using a check (or live chickens, for that matter) inside your envelope, use of the free Comcast drop box gives you nothing in hand in return. You leave the premises with only your good word until your check goes through your bank. OTOH, you can get a receipt in hand from a Comcast clerk for $1.99.

Obviously, this stuff only really matters if you're close to due date or a cutoff. If I were a customer schlepping to the office @ due date, I personally would complete the thought and get a receipt in hand to confirm I paid, as $1.99 sure beats whatever they charge these days to turn service back on. And if we were nowhere close to an overdue or cutoff situation, I wouldn't be caught dead at the ugly, dingy Comcast office on Columbus Ave, so...

Obviously, paying bills on time is optimal behavior, and is cheaper and better for your health.

dubenezic

join:2004-05-06
Jersey City, NJ
reply to tbare54

I wonder how much they charge to NOT pay your bill? I'm going to start making up my own fees and mail a copy to Comcrap.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to yhp

1/4 your bill paid it sounds like

cferro

join:2003-07-27
Jersey City, NJ
reply to jkj860

I do not feel sorry for Comcast. I do take care of my boxes. I do not want to be charged a fee for a bad cable box. The company makes a lot of money renting equipment. A DVR box is $16.95 a month without a premium package.
Does Comcast need a $1.99 fee to pay a bill at an local office?

jkj860
The Final Frontier

join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN

said by cferro:

I do not feel sorry for Comcast. I do take care of my boxes. I do not want to be charged a fee for a bad cable box. The company makes a lot of money renting equipment. A DVR box is $16.95 a month without a premium package.
Does Comcast need a $1.99 fee to pay a bill at an local office?

I pay $41/month in equiptment rental alone. They gotta love me. I have had the same box's for a long time. 2 dvr's, 1 hd box, 3 dta's, and a voice modem. I own my hsi modem. I keep all my equiptment clean and dusted. I even vacuum out the box's on a regular basis. I just hope they don't start charging to pay online monthly as that is the way I always pay my bill. I don't use the auto bill pay though.
--
I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant. Nixon

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to tbare54

i swapped a box at my local comcast office today. (sellersville office). Came home and payed my bill online. Surprise, surprise not charged for either. What the hell are you people doing paying for either swapping or paying online? Maybe the ten dollar charge for the box swap was a deposit or something. As far as getting charged for paying at the office i just dont see why people would waste either theirs or comcasts time doing that.

halfband
Premium
join:2002-06-01
Huntsville, AL

Your lucky. A lot of areas now hit you with $10 for service changes of about any kind. I suspect the fee was originally put in to stop people from adding services for short periods and then downgrading, I guess some now charge it for just about everything "because they can."
My area is seeing some significant price increases this month. Almost all unbundled services up $4 (tv, internet, etc) HD fee up to $10, along with the additional outlet fee going to $10. Another buck or two increase on many of the fees like service protection and anywhere else they could add it. Looks like comcast must have determined that they were under priced in this economy. Entertainment is a luxury service after all.
--
Registered Bandwidth Offender #40812

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Swapping boxes isnt a service change. I wasnt aware that you guys were talking about service changes. The way i took it from what you guys posted simply swapping a box was a 10 dollar fee. We have always had change of service fees. All the cable companies are raising the prices not just comcast .Some are much more than comcast.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to halfband

$10 a outlet???

Directv is alot lower for added boxes.

halfband
Premium
join:2002-06-01
Huntsville, AL

said by Joe12345678:

$10 a outlet???

Yeah, it was just a few years ago a SD box was $6.50. Now the boxes or extra outlets are $10. DVRs are $17. This round of rate increases was by far the largest we had seen in many years.
--
Registered Bandwidth Offender #40812

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Joe12345678

Yea but with direct tv you own your own boxes and direct tv isnt responsible if they go bad. Imagine if you lived in a service electric area. the digital tier with standard was raised 16 dollars a month this year alone. Thats how much programming has gone up this year alone. OTA channels alone accounted for 2.60 cents of that increase. I can only imagine how much the other programmers raised there fees. lets face it we are screwed and the least of our problems this year is going to be how much cable tv went up. Our problems are going to be on things we need which cable isnt one of them. if you cant afford what they want simply cancel and call it a day.

yhp

Philadelphia, PA

said by rody_44:

Yea but with direct tv you own your own boxes and direct tv isnt responsible if they go bad.

Comcast is renting the equipment, so they're not doing subscribers any favors by swapping out any non-working equipment they wish to continue collecting that rent on.

Also, it's up to (or it SHOULD be up to) individual customers to decide for themselves whether taking on the responsibility of failed hardware is an unattractive proposition. Plenty of people would happily bear the expense/risk of buying two years of awesomeness instead of renting two years of crap.

Either way, you're shelling out more money at theoretical month #25 (assuming a 2-year lifespan on a DVR), and you're never going to see either that box-rental money (Comcast) or that box-purchase money ever again. (Right now, new DirecTV customers can get a single HMC which has 1TB storage and records up to 5 shows at once, and a new Comcast customer can keep calling the office to see if any HDMI boxes are available.)

Of course, there are many different reasons one vendor is compelling and another is not, not just the box.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03

What he said for DirecTV isn't true in any event - the current HD DVRs are leased, not owned, even if you buy them from a third party. You pay the shipping cost to get a new box from DirecTV if yours breaks.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:8

Looks like the good citizens of Freeport, IL don't need to pay the $1.99 fee now:

Settlement reached in city/Comcast case
The Journal-Standard - March 12, 2012
»www.journalstandard.com/news/x16···ast-case

"The City of Freeport and Comcast have reached an agreement to end court proceedings concerning last year's closing of Comcast's downtown office. The Freeport office will remain closed in the agreement and Freeport Mayor George Gaulrapp believes that this is “the best we could have hoped for.”

“It’s a very good settlement for the consumer,” said attorney Tim Mahoney, who represented the City of Freeport in the case. “Last year, when Comcast was leaving, they had violated a franchise agreement.”

According to [Mayor] Gaulrapp, there are four main benefits to reaching a settlement with Comcast. They include:

- Customers will no longer be required to pay transaction fees when paying their bill.
- Additional sites will be available for customer bill paying.
- Comcast will provide [pre-paid] shipping boxes for customers, so traveling to return equipment won't be necessary.
- Comcast will resume live coverage of Freeport City Council meetings."

Robyn5

join:2012-03-09

1 edit
reply to tbare54

said by tbare54:

I swapped a box at my local comcast office today. (sellersville office). Came home and payed my bill online. Surprise, surprise not charged for either. What the hell are you people doing paying for either swapping or paying online? Maybe the ten dollar charge for the box swap was a deposit or something. As far as getting charged for paying at the office i just dont see why people would waste either theirs or comcasts time doing that.

I wonder whether the OP and others here are complaining for the sake of complaining - or are actually affected by the service charge? I suspect the former - but who knows.

The Comcast office that is actually closest to me (about 8 miles) is in a not so nice area - and is within walking distance from a lot of subsidized housing (including a senior living facility). It looks like the kind of place you would expect to find in the old Soviet Union. Small and ugly and dingy - with not much in the way of equipment on hand (and the equipment it does have is used and ancient and usually in disgusting shape). The last time I was there was to pick up my "free" DTA boxes (which were actually new - I had to order them in advance). And the average person in that office was an elderly person (sometimes accompanied by an aide) - picking up a DTA box as well - and trying to figure out how to make it work. There were also some people who pretty much looked like deadbeats.

I assume there are few if any posters like that here.

The next nearest Comcast office to me is the main metro office. It's about 12 miles away. It's a pleasant place in a fairly new suburban office park. Has tons of good equipment on hand. That's where I go to exchange equipment these days.

As far as billing goes - I pay on line (don't have to pay for a stamp - or the cost of gas). Comcast will take payments from checking and savings accounts - and credit and debit cards. For no fee. I consider that very reasonable. My electric company charges $4.95 for a credit card payment - and my water company can only accept non-mail/non-in person payments through a convoluted phone system. I am 64. My 93 year old father has never learned to pay on line - but does put a check in the mail to Comcast every month.

So who wouldn't take advantage of these on-line bill pay options? Except for old people who can't figure them out. Or really poor people who are literally living week to week - month to month - who could probably make better use of their time trying to get some work or some new job skills. Don't mean to start a political fight here. But how many of you are complaining simply for the sake of complaining?

FWIW - I am no apologist for Comcast. And the thing it did that PO'd me the most in the last couple of years was doing the digital conversion in such a way that I had to put some kind of box on every TV I have. Instead of arranging things in such a way that I could still get basic cable on the TVs where I only need/want basic cable by simply plugging TVs into the wall (OTOH - I don't have a clue if this is possible from a technical POV). And I don't hate Comcast because of the money (the 2 DTAs I have are free). It's because of all the extra boxes/wires (I like a "clean look" and hiding all these boxes/wires starts to become a real PITA). FWIW - I am old enough to remember when you did need a box for every TV - and I found it very liberating when - at some point - you could plug TVs directly into the wall. So now - in 2012 - we are pretty much "back to the future".

When it comes to buying versus rentals - I've done both - with Comcast and AT&T - and other providers of stuff/services (like we rented our first water softener - now we own one). There are upsides/downsides to each. Note that during the 5+ years or so that I've been on DSL - I've had about 6 "bought" modems. Have never had to pay for a new one though - even when I'm off warranty - not after being a Bellsouth customer for 40 years. But not too many people have that kind of leverage. Even with something I have to own - like a computer or printer - I always have great service contracts. E.g., I buy Thinkpads with in-house within 1 business day service calls. Costs like about $75/year for the service contracts. But I'm not going to buy a computer where I have to take it to a store - and they'll send it to a factory - and perhaps I might get it back 1-2 weeks later after someone has copied my hard drive.

IOW - all of this electronic stuff and what it does for us is pretty much a utility stream - as opposed to a bunch of physical objects. For a lot of us - it's not about paying $3 more here - or $5 more there - or saving $1.99. It's about whether we can do whatever we want to do whenever we want to do it. Whether it's getting our tax stuff done - or working on our virtual farm (I do the former - not the latter ).

Finally - I don't remember whether it was in this or another thread - but there was some discussion of lightning. I've lived in Florida - lightning capital of the US - for decades. And when we built our house - we put in a commercial whole house lightning protection system. Cost about $1k more or less IIRC. It won't do anything for a little "surge" but should protect our stuff from a direct hit. We also have all expensive equipment on surge protectors for the little stuff that the whole house system won't clamp down on. It's a curious fact - but a lot of electronics retailers in parts of the SE have been doing poorly in recent years because of semi-drought conditions and lack of thunderstorms. When Sound Advice was still around - the sales people told me they usually did better in summer thunderstorm season than at Christmas. Robyn

yhp

Philadelphia, PA

The Comcast office that is actually closest to me (about 8 miles) is in a not so nice area - and is within walking distance from a lot of subsidized housing (including a senior living facility). It looks like the kind of place you would expect to find in the old Soviet Union. Small and ugly and dingy

That pretty much describes the Comcast office, ironically enough, used by any of their customers living in the shadow of their xfinitely awesome World HQ, including myself. (Now, perhaps one can actually drop payment off at their xfinitely awesome World HQ, which would be a lot nicer than the shack they put up for customers, but I never personally tried...)

But moving on..

- with not much in the way of equipment on hand (and the equipment it does have is used and ancient and usually in disgusting shape). The last time I was there was to pick up my "free" DTA boxes (which were actually new - I had to order them in advance). And the average person in that office was an elderly person (sometimes accompanied by an aide) - picking up a DTA box as well - and trying to figure out how to make it work. There were also some people who pretty much looked like deadbeats.

If Xfinity doesn't want to deal with olds, poors, and "deadbeats", maybe they should talk to the FCC or their local franchise authority about some exemptions or something. It's not up to us to decide who is fit for xfinitely awesome service from Comcast. Clearly, they already are moving on closing offices in "icky" areas, per the article quoted 2 posts up.

In the meantime... cars aren't free, checking accounts aren't free, internet isn't free, and yes, some people have limited resources in 2012. If a person is unable to pay his or her bill and just the amount in that bill to Comcast, without incurring $24/year in fees, that's definitely a consumer protection issue that impacts vulnerable people. It doesn't impact me personally (I got mine, Jack.) but it is actually possible to employ empathy and see where an extra $24/year is a problem.

Robyn5

reply to tbare54

In the meantime... cars aren't free, checking accounts aren't free, internet isn't free, and yes, some people have limited resources in 2012. If a person is unable to pay his or her bill and just the amount in that bill to Comcast, without incurring $24/year in fees, that's definitely a consumer protection issue that impacts vulnerable people. It doesn't impact me personally (I got mine, Jack.) but it is actually possible to employ empathy and see where an extra $24/year is a problem.

Seniors and people receiving social security disability shouldn't have much of a problem. Most (at least where I live) can get a basic or better than basic checking account at many of our local banks for free if they direct deposit their Social Security into a checking account. Most (all?) states now also will do direct deposit of unemployment benefits. And I suspect most banks would count this as a "direct deposit" for purposes of a free checking account (banks don't seem to care what the source of a direct deposit is - they just want the direct deposit). Of course - a lot of employers will direct deposit your pay check into a checking account as well.

If you have a checking account - all you need is a stamp to mail in your payment. And if you want to put the check in a drop box (which you can apparently do for free) - you'll have your canceled check as proof of payment. You also need to be a little organized in terms of sending in your payment on time (if a senior or a disabled person can't do this - it is perhaps best for a child or other trustworthy person to care care of that person's finances).

So if we rule out poor seniors - the disabled - and those on unemployment - we're left with a relatively small pool of people who might have the need to stand in line to pay (I assume that the vast majority of people who are employed and who receive paychecks can - if they shop around - find a basic free checking account if their employers won't do direct deposit). We even have a bank here that has a basic checking account called "Fresh Start" - for people who are trying to recover from financial problems.

They would primarily be people paying cash - for whatever reason - who want a receipt. Perhaps people who work in the "underground economy" and get paid in cash to avoid paying taxes? Perhaps people who get paid in cash for doing things people wouldn't charge on credit cards - like buying drugs? I don't know. Perhaps you can give me a couple of examples of hypothetical people in different situations who have a big need to pay in line - people for whom I would have some compassion (I'm not entirely cold-hearted - and have an open mind). BTW - if you go to my closest local Comcast office - the younger people who are standing on line to pay their bills usually have one or more expensive tats. I have no compassion for someone with an expensive tat who is complaining about paying the $1.99 (or a $20 co-pay for a doctor's visit either). Robyn

Night0wl

join:2011-06-23

1 edit

yhp

Philadelphia, PA
reply to Robyn5

They would primarily be people paying cash - for whatever reason - who want a receipt. Perhaps people who work in the "underground economy" and get paid in cash to avoid paying taxes? Perhaps people who get paid in cash for doing things people wouldn't charge on credit cards - like buying drugs? I don't know.

Looks like you answered your own questions. Which is good, because I don't know of any rational, sane person who thinks "cash" means "Uh Oh! Drug Dealer Alert!".

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to tbare54

said by tbare54:

Just came from local comcast office in Ft Wayne, In, was going to pay my bill, but was told comcast has a new policy of charging $1.99 if you pay your bill at the office. You can put it in an envelop and drop it in the drop box or pay online and no charge.
Anything to make a BUCK

How much did it cost you in gas to get there?
--
Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Islamic religion?

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:22
reply to yhp

(topic move) [Billing] Customer charged to fix Comcast's error

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 2 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[Bill] Customer charged to fix Comcast's error

Robyn5

reply to tbare54

Re: [Bill] $1.99 FEE to PAY BILL AT LOCAL COMCAST OFFICE

Nightowl - If I had a deceased relative - a dead computer - and a broken arm - I think that a $1.99 Comcast service fee would be the least of my problems.

And to yhp - who wrote - "Looks like you answered your own questions. Which is good, because I don't know of any rational, sane person who thinks "cash" means "Uh Oh! Drug Dealer Alert!"." - I lived in Miami for 20+ years - which perhaps explains my reaction to cash payments for all but small transactions. Robyn

Night0wl

join:2011-06-23

1 edit

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to tbare54

A deceased relative, broken arm, Dead computer hardly = need to pay cash. Last i checked my computer doesnt even accept cash. A deceased relative doesnt need cable and not sure why a broken arm would mean i need to pay in cash. In fact i am 53 years old and have never had a reason to pay in cash.