spc
uniqs
The Q
join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

The Q to tbare54

to tbare54

Re: $1.99 FEE to PAY BILL AT LOCAL COMCAST OFFICE

It costs me 45 cents to pay my Comcast bill by mail. Outrageous I say!

Looks like there are still some free options out there to pay your bill - drop it in the dropbox or pay online.
sabretooth
join:2012-02-14
Marietta, GA

sabretooth

said by The Q:

It costs me 45 cents to pay my Comcast bill by mail. Outrageous I say!

Soon to be 50 cents.
yhp
join:2006-12-27
Philadelphia, PA

yhp

said by sabretooth:

Soon to be 50 cents.

Visit a post office. For 50 cents, they'll take an envelope from your hands and deliver it anywhere in the country.

Visit a Comcast office with 50 cents in your pocket. What can you get for your troubles?

MannyMannyMa
@comcast.net

MannyMannyMa

Anon

Visit a post office. For 50 cents, they'll take an envelope from your hands and deliver it anywhere in the country.

Visit a Comcast office with 50 cents in your pocket. What can you get for your troubles?

50 cents is the perceived value of delivering a letter, so we pay it. Comcast places a much higher value on their product and we pay it. If we didn't agree with that value proposition, we wouldn't pay it.
yhp
Philadelphia, PA

yhp

Comcast places a much higher value on their product and we pay it.

Well, we know that Comcast values handing you a rental box @ $10 from this thread:

»[Bill] Comcast "Service Charge"

I wonder what they charge to tell you 'No, we don't have the box you want' and 'No we don't know when any will come in'. (Do you think that's two separate fees? Is it cheaper to bundle?)
Austinloop
join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX

Austinloop to sabretooth

to sabretooth
Buy a bunch of forever stamps prior to going to $.50.

MannyMannyMa
@comcast.net

MannyMannyMa to yhp

Anon

to yhp
said by yhp:

Comcast places a much higher value on their product and we pay it.

Well, we know that Comcast values handing you a rental box @ $10

That's correct - and if we pay it, we validate the value they place on it. If I recall correctly that poster complained and his $10 was refunded. If more people do that, the message to Comcast is "we don't agree with that value proposition and we won't pay it or we'll chase after a refund, costing you time and money." Then maybe Comcast will rethink that policy.
yhp
Philadelphia, PA

yhp

said by MannyMannyMa :

That's correct - and if we pay it, we validate the value they place on it.

No - we're not validating the value of anything. All we're "validating" is that every other option is less acceptable.

Comcast may charge $10 to hand you a box, but since no one else is standing on street corners handing out boxes, there aren't many choices. The $1.99 to drop your payment off at an office on your bill's due date is less onerous than paying whatever the current late fee is to mail it in once you've waited that long.

All that's getting "validated" is that what's being "offered" beats the alternatives. By removing alternatives, Comcast gets us to "agree".

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by yhp:

The $1.99 to drop your payment off at an office on your bill's due date ...

The fee doesn't occur when you drop off the payment, the fee occurs when you choose to interact with an office CSR during the payment.

MannyMannyMa
@comcast.net

MannyMannyMa to yhp

Anon

to yhp
said by yhp:

No - we're not validating the value of anything. All we're "validating" is that every other option is less acceptable.

Comcast may charge $10 to hand you a box, but since no one else is standing on street corners handing out boxes, there aren't many choices. The $1.99 to drop your payment off at an office on your bill's due date is less onerous than paying whatever the current late fee is to mail it in once you've waited that long.

All that's getting "validated" is that what's being "offered" beats the alternatives. By removing alternatives, Comcast gets us to "agree".

I'd agree with you if cable tv were a necessity. The alternative is to say no thanks, I'll find another entertainment source.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to yhp

to yhp
said by yhp:

said by MannyMannyMa :

That's correct - and if we pay it, we validate the value they place on it.

your not being charged to drop your bill off...your being charged to deal with the person at the counter....doesnt cost moeny to put your envelope in the drop box!
yhp
Philadelphia, PA

yhp

said by gar187er:

your not being charged to drop your bill off...your being charged to deal with the person at the counter....doesnt cost moeny to put your envelope in the drop box!

The drop box doesn't give you a receipt confirming payment - probably especially important if you're there on the due date, or trying to avoid a cutoff, or paying in cash or credit card.

Again, since it's not like any Comcast service location is party central, it's really not the case that there are hordes of freeloading party animals in parrothead hats standing in line at Comcast for the fun of it, margaritas in hand.

If they're there, odds are that something has gone wrong, and that's what customer service is for: when something goes wrong. Comcast obviously sees it as a revenue stream.
voipnpots
join:2011-10-13
USA

voipnpots

I believe there is a setting in your online Comcast account (under view/edit alerts in Users and Settings) that allows you to be notified when your bill is accepted. Not sure if this is just for online payment, or if it's also for mail-in payment...

Floppy
join:2002-07-03

Floppy to yhp

to yhp
said by yhp:

said by gar187er:

The drop box doesn't give you a receipt confirming payment -

Neither does mailing it via post office.
yhp
Philadelphia, PA

yhp

said by Floppy:

Neither does mailing it via post office.

Mailing a check gives you a trail. I've been a cable subscriber since 1989, and it's never failed me on a payment. (I also don't wait until due date to pay my bills.)

Gorgiah
@sbcglobal.net

Gorgiah to The Q

Anon

to The Q
Cost me $4.00 to pay my electricity bill by phone, $4.00 + taxes and fees for not having long distance with AT&T( AT&T told me I have to pay regardless), $4.00 for paying my credit card bill by phone.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose to yhp

to yhp
1/4 your bill paid it sounds like