Search similar:

uniqs
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned)

HP CEO: Android will be Closed-Source in the Future

»www.androidauthority.com ··· e-54088/

Hewlett-Packard CEO Meg Whitman believes that webOS can play an important role in the future as an open-source mobile operating system. Once Google successfully purchases Motorola Mobility, Whitman believes Android could become closed-source. Even though the complete impact of webOS will take up to 4 years, Whitman promised that HP will remain patient.

The CEO gave a speech at the HP Global Partner Conference held in Las Vegas last Wednesday and gave some very decent points.

“Apple is great, it’s on fire, but iOS is a closed system. Google could end up that way with the purchase of Motorola; Android could end up being a closed system.”

“We love partnering with Microsoft and Intel, but I think there’s an opportunity for another option within the development community.”

Originally, WebOS was built by Palm for both phones and tablets. In 2010, HP made an investment by purchasing Palm. However, it was only late last year that the company announced it will no longer make devices supporting the software. This led to a lot of speculation and intrigue about what will happen to the OS. But now, HP said it will be releasing webOS to the open-source community.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

said by DarkSithPro:

Whitman believes Android could become closed-source.

And I believe in Santa Claus and the Easter bunny. (I'm not so sure about Santa Claus, though.)

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro
Translation.

"That product we just shuttered and ceased manufacture of and the software side we shook up and morphed into some rainbow goats is way better than that one hit wonder Android thingy."

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro
Did she *say* closed source, or "Android could end up being a closed system."

Meaning, like Apple, Google will make both the hardware and software, and therefore other OEMs might not choose Android?

I still think it's a somewhat dumb idea, but it might be slightly less dumb than the misquote (if it is one) in the title.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:

Did she *say* closed source, or "Android could end up being a closed system."

Meaning, like Apple, Google will make both the hardware and software, and therefore other OEMs might not choose Android?

I still think it's a somewhat dumb idea, but it might be slightly less dumb than the misquote (if it is one) in the title.

I agree. Android gains a lot by being open source. I can't imagine what it would gain by closing future releases. Making it a closed system, only shipped with the Android label attached to it only on Moto devices, is more of a possibility, but still not very likely.
Android existence in the ecosystem is similar to Chrome's. The open source piece of it helps Google achieve their goals.

reub2000
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Evanston, IL

reub2000 to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro
Well most of us using Android are not in fact using open source software. If we asked for the source of the modifications that where made to the version running on our phones, we'd be simply laughed at. Not much different than Apple Darwin.

Maxo
Premium Member
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

Not me. I run Cyanogenmod. The ability to run it is a prerequisite for any phone or tablet I purchase (I don't yet have a tablet for this very reason.)

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

said by Maxo:

Not me. I run Cyanogenmod. The ability to run it is a prerequisite for any phone or tablet I purchase (I don't yet have a tablet for this very reason.)

Amen!

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by FiReSTaRT:

said by Maxo:

Amen!

+2

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal to Maxo

Premium Member

to Maxo
said by Maxo:

If you're looking to go the cheap route, consider a Nook Color. It is well-supported by CyanogenMod, runs about $130 on refurb if you can find a good deal, and is plenty fast with a slight overclock (read: still stable). We have one that lives on our living room table, and I think it's the best 150 bucks I've ever spent.

Maxo
Premium Member
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Maxo:

I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Another more expensive tablet that run various non-Cyanogen mods is the Asus Transformer, I've only rooted mine and not investigated alternative ROMs for it, although there are quite a few.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

3 edits

Hayward0 to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro
As far as I can see Android already is closed source. All Generic Androids are stuck at 2.3 Gingerbread (even many low cost phones) when Android is moving to 4.0 ICS

Pretty much Google locked it up at 3.0 only allowing licensed versions.

I doubt though they will go to Apple extremes and make it closed hardware/system too... that would be suicide.

Contractually that would be difficult too in the immediate future, as I imagine most of the licensed manufactures have more than 1 yr contracts.

Maxo
Premium Member
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

said by Hayward0:

Android 3.0 is a black-mark in the Android history IMO. Not just because it is closed source, but also because it is a rushed release to get in the tablet market.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by Maxo:

said by Hayward0:

Android 3.0 is a black-mark in the Android history IMO. Not just because it is closed source, but also because it is a rushed release to get in the tablet market.

Personally on my Transformer I find 3.2 extremely stable (far more than any 2x device I used), and appreciate they are taking their time on 4.0 release to be sure it works right too.
The intended to release the new Transformer Prime with it but held off and put it out with 3.2 and it will be and upgrade probably next month for all Transformers.

samsung code
@verizon.net

samsung code to reub2000

Anon

to reub2000
said by reub2000:

Well most of us using Android are not in fact using open source software. If we asked for the source of the modifications that where made to the version running on our phones, we'd be simply laughed at. Not much different than Apple Darwin.

Here's the link to all the samsung source code »opensource.samsung.com.

bbrkdub
join:2001-10-03
San Antonio, TX

bbrkdub to DarkSithPro

to DarkSithPro
*Sigh* Soapbox coming in 3, 2, 1...

Another clueless CEO? Really, HP, really? OK Miss Whitman, here's the deal...

By promising "that HP will remain patient" completely ignores how customers may not remain patient with HP. In an age where people will give up on a website that doesn't load after 5-10s, you need to reevaluate your priorities. Customers have no problem jumping ship when you're that content with being that docile. HP is a great brand, but it's not that strong to persist constant customer marketplace ignorance brightly rendered from the top of the pyramid.

Worrying so much about open vs. closed source isn't the primary concern in this case. If a product is *good*, people will pay for it...and could care less if it's open or not (look at Apple). Make it well known that HP stands strong behind webOS. Your company did purchase it, correct? Well, then produce (better) products based on it and let customer know you're support said products.

Look, webOS is great UI, arguably the best on the market, but so was BeOS on the desktop. Who or what is that? Exactly my point. There were a lot of people, both customers and developers alike, highly interested when HP bought Palm. However, HP has only managed to drop the ball on this one, spent a lot of money in the process, and is still losing market share. At this pace, webOS will just become a nostalgic OS reference by the end of the year.

Until they get a CEO in there that seems to know what they're doing, I cannot take this company seriously. It's sad because HP makes great workstations, servers, laptops, and printers. Of course there are great competitors in the market as well, but HP has a strong brand. Without appropriately focused leadership, they'll just become a flag whaling in the wind.

The "E" in CEO stands for "execute" Miss Whitman, so do it!

sempergoofy
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy

Premium Member

I thought the same sort of "consider the source" thought even before reading bbrkdub See Profile's post. Consider how she lit $160M on fire and toasted, well, nothing.
»articles.nydailynews.com ··· nor-race

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro
not to get off topic but boy I must of been under a rock.. I did not know she was CEO of HP now :-/

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

not to get off topic but boy I must of been under a rock.. I did not know she was CEO of HP now :-/

Yeah, they gutted the sacrificial lamb (Leo) they put on the alter to purge the evil spirits left by Mark "Burn the furniture to make the bottom line look good" Hurd.