join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Khaine

Re: [OS X] Mountain Lion coming this summer

said by Khaine:

This information is really easy to find, I'm not sure why people are whipping themselves into a frenzy over nothing

Perhaps because it appears that Apple is headed for lock-down, maybe not in 10.9, but maybe 11.0. For example, would apps like Handbrake still be available? What about Transmission? I have a friend that created an app (WINE) for installing *some* windows programs, it was refused by the app store because it uses Windows files...

Of course, nothing might change, just permissions. Which, if that is the case, is great.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Khaine

join:2003-03-03
Australia

said by J E F F:

said by Khaine:

This information is really easy to find, I'm not sure why people are whipping themselves into a frenzy over nothing

Perhaps because it appears that Apple is headed for lock-down, maybe not in 10.9, but maybe 11.0. For example, would apps like Handbrake still be available? What about Transmission? I have a friend that created an app (WINE) for installing *some* windows programs, it was refused by the app store because it uses Windows files...

Of course, nothing might change, just permissions. Which, if that is the case, is great.

Considering Apple have had private meetings with Developers over this »www.panic.com/blog/2012/02/about-gatekeeper/

quote:
But I can’t find it in me to disparage this goodwill effort that Apple has undertaken to not turn every third-party developer upside-down with regard to app distribution. To me it’s a great sign that they’re aware and at some level sympathetic to our concerns, while remaining committed to a high-security experience for users.

Further cementing this feeling is the fact that we were invited to a private briefing at Apple about Gatekeeper a week before today’s announcement. Cabel was told point-blank that Apple has great respect for the third-party app community, and wants to see it continue to grow — they do not want to poison the well. I think their actions here speak even louder than their words, though.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by Khaine:

said by J E F F:

said by Khaine:

Considering Apple have had private meetings with Developers over this »www.panic.com/blog/2012/02/about-gatekeeper/

quote:
But I can’t find it in me to disparage this goodwill effort that Apple has undertaken to not turn every third-party developer upside-down with regard to app distribution. To me it’s a great sign that they’re aware and at some level sympathetic to our concerns, while remaining committed to a high-security experience for users.

Further cementing this feeling is the fact that we were invited to a private briefing at Apple about Gatekeeper a week before today’s announcement. Cabel was told point-blank that Apple has great respect for the third-party app community, and wants to see it continue to grow — they do not want to poison the well. I think their actions here speak even louder than their words, though.

If that is the case, then I likely will purchase more Macs.

As I said, no issues about having a locked down phone...not too happy about a locked down iPad so my 11 year old has it now. But the Mac better never be in lock down.

Eventually I'll have to get another computer...just unsure if it will be the iMac or MBPro.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein