reub2000
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Evanston, IL

reub2000 to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro

Re: HP CEO: Android will be Closed-Source in the Future

Well most of us using Android are not in fact using open source software. If we asked for the source of the modifications that where made to the version running on our phones, we'd be simply laughed at. Not much different than Apple Darwin.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

Not me. I run Cyanogenmod. The ability to run it is a prerequisite for any phone or tablet I purchase (I don't yet have a tablet for this very reason.)

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

said by Maxo:

Not me. I run Cyanogenmod. The ability to run it is a prerequisite for any phone or tablet I purchase (I don't yet have a tablet for this very reason.)

Amen!

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by FiReSTaRT:

said by Maxo:

Amen!

+2

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal to Maxo

Premium Member

to Maxo
said by Maxo:

If you're looking to go the cheap route, consider a Nook Color. It is well-supported by CyanogenMod, runs about $130 on refurb if you can find a good deal, and is plenty fast with a slight overclock (read: still stable). We have one that lives on our living room table, and I think it's the best 150 bucks I've ever spent.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Maxo:

I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Another more expensive tablet that run various non-Cyanogen mods is the Asus Transformer, I've only rooted mine and not investigated alternative ROMs for it, although there are quite a few.

samsung code
@verizon.net

samsung code to reub2000

Anon

to reub2000
said by reub2000:

Well most of us using Android are not in fact using open source software. If we asked for the source of the modifications that where made to the version running on our phones, we'd be simply laughed at. Not much different than Apple Darwin.

Here's the link to all the samsung source code »opensource.samsung.com.