spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kizzle

@as13285.net

Belkin N+ router random drops in connection

I apologise in advance for the around the world story but I'm not sure how to explain this problem without being specific...

We've had a Belkin N+ router since September 2009 now, and up until 5-6 months ago there was no issues, we have three computers in the household using the router, the main computer on the top floor which is connected directly to the router, a computer on the middle floor (which is what I'm using) and a laptop on the bottom floor, both are using belkin wireless adapters

The other two computers really only get used for browsing and what not, where as I frequently have several programs going that are using the internet (online games, skype, browser). Up until recently I thought it was actually just skype that was having some issue, for months now when I have been talking to friends, I get random disconnects from skype then instantly reconnect after, and during this time I wouldn't actually be disconnecting from the online game (apparently they can't hear me for around 10 seconds on skype before I disconnect, where as I can still hear them)

However just a few days ago while browsing and also on skype with a friend, my browser hung for around 10-15 seconds and sure enough my skype call disconnected and reconnected as usual just after. So I figured then it was a problem with my entire connection, not just with skype (still doesn't explain why I wasn't disconnecting from the game, but there is obviously some sort of drop in speed or something :/ )

This is completely random, sometimes it can not happen for a few hours, other times, it can go off 3-4 times in a row and up to 15 times in an hour if its bad. On top of this though, for about the same length of time now (several months) sometimes I completely lose connection to the internet and until I reboot the router it just won't come back at all, this is random too, but happens on average at least once a week...im not really clued up much on internet connections so I didn't know if this definitely meant it was the router, or if it could also be a problem with my ISP

if it is a router problem however, is there any way to fix this? or does it just sound like the router has gone iffy and I should consider replacing it?

many thanks in advance

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

Unfortunately the Belkin N+ is a real lemon if used as a wireless router .. I have a few in the field used strictly as an Access Point and as a AP it functions extremely well.

All the firmware update so far released have failed to resolve this issue you report. My suggestion is buy a Router and reconfigure the N+ to be strictly a AP [the AP feature is built into the N+] -- that combination should serve you well.

My suggestion for a very good router that I recommend for home use or very small office use is the ZyWALL USG20.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

kizzle

@as13285.net

thanks for the reply

unfortunately there is no phone line in the room to have a second router setup here so I guess the only option is to replace the original router itself and hope the wireless connection is improved

thanks again

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

You do not need a 2nd phone line to implement what I suggested.

If you go with the USG20 then all you need to do is connect the USG20 to your phone [DSL] line and the Belkin reconfigured as a wireless Access Point from its Internet port to one of the USG LAN ports.

The N+ user guide provides instructions on how to convert it into a dedicated Access Point. And the USG user guide provides instructions on how you can exploit its various features.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business