Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
reply to TamaraB

Re: [iPhone] Total disaster!

if you are going to have to pay full price, buy a factory unlocked phone direct from Apple. It'll carry a higher resale when you sell it after buying your iPhone 5s, and costs about the same as an out-of-contract phone anyway.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

said by Daemon:

if you are going to have to pay full price, buy a factory unlocked phone direct from Apple.

Oh wonderful thought! Thanks. May as well get some benefit out of this sinking. "Factory unlocked" is an option on the apple site? I will have a look directly.

Bob

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to Daemon

said by Daemon:

if you are going to have to pay full price ....

I just got off the phone with AT&T. They told me I can get a new 4s for $199.99 if I simply add another line to my phone account. She told me to make the second line a dummy number, and I will be able to keep my grandfathered data and text plans. My bill will go up by $10.00/Mo. So $200.00 for the phone, and $240.00 over 2 years is $440.00 as opposed to $695.00 to buy a new phone, that's about $300.00 cheaper. Sounds like a bargain.

Any thoughts and/or caveats from you folks?

Bob
--
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium
join:2002-06-22
kudos:2

said by TamaraB:

said by Daemon:

I just got off the phone with AT&T. They told me I can get a new 4s for $199.99 if I simply add another line to my phone account. She told me to make the second line a dummy number, and I will be able to keep my grandfathered data and text plans. My bill will go up by $10.00/Mo. So $200.00 for the phone, and $240.00 over 2 years is $440.00 as opposed to $695.00 to buy a new phone, that's about $300.00 cheaper. Sounds like a bargain.

Bob

Yep, I've done that before. Works well, and amortizes the cost over two years (the $240, that is).
--

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30
reply to TamaraB

said by TamaraB:

said by Daemon:

Bob

Well you will be locked on a contract on that line for two more years which comes with a high $350 ETF. Plus you forgot to add in taxes for that other line so it will be close to $15.

Just hit up ebay or craigslist and get a used phone, you can get a four brand new sealed for probably around $400 and a 4S will go for around $550.

I don't know about you but I hate knowing ATT has me in a 2 year vice grip and can drop a huge ETF bomb if I cancel a line. I personally would just buy a phone from someone online, pop in the new sim card(if you have a sim cutter you can cut a 3GS/3G full size sim down to a 4/4S micro sim size) and be off.

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

said by RiseAbove:

I don't know about you but I hate knowing ATT has me in a 2 year vice grip and can drop a huge ETF bomb if I cancel a line.

That's irrelevant here. I already signed a 2 year contract when I upgraded from my 3g to the 4s. That was only last month. I am stuck with the contract and the etf no matter what I do, that part is already a done deal.

The other part of this is Apple. I bought the 2-year extended coverage. Apple tells me if I buy a new 4s, they can transfer the extension to the new phone after I visit an Apple store. That's another $240.00 I save.

Bob
--
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

said by TamaraB:

said by RiseAbove:

I don't know about you but I hate knowing ATT has me in a 2 year vice grip and can drop a huge ETF bomb if I cancel a line.

That's irrelevant here. I already signed a 2 year contract when I upgraded from my 3g to the 4s. That was only last month. I am stuck with the contract and the etf no matter what I do, that part is already a done deal.

The other part of this is Apple. I bought the 2-year extended coverage. Apple tells me if I buy a new 4s, they can transfer the extension to the new phone after I visit an Apple store. That's another $240.00 I save.

Bob

double check your information

also Applecare+ was $99 for me.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
google this "(sqrt(cos(x))*cos(200*x)+sqrt(abs(x))-0.7)*(4-x*x)^0.01, sqrt(9-x^2), -sqrt(9-x^2)"

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

Mine is listed as AppleCare and was $79.

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30
reply to TamaraB

said by TamaraB:

said by RiseAbove:

Bob

I'm talking about on the 2nd line not your original one, think about it. Since you asked the question about if you should just add another line for $10 so you can get another phone for contract price.

I also hope you are on a family plan now because if you aren't you will have to be moved up to one so you can add another line which means a lot more money out of pocket.

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to AVD

said by AVD:

double check your information

also Applecare+ was $99 for me.

Yes, sorry. The applecare was indeed $99 for the iPhone, it was over $200 for my MacBook Air.

Bob

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

you lost your laptop overboard too?? (j/k)

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to RiseAbove

said by RiseAbove:

...Since you asked the question about if you should just add another line for $10 so you can get another phone for contract price.

I also hope you are on a family plan now because if you aren't you will have to be moved up to one so you can add another line which means a lot more money out of pocket.

Yes Indeed. I just returned from the AT&T store. I am now on the family plan for $10.00/Mo (before tax) more. I had them configure my old iPhone 3g on the second line with no Internet or texts. I keep my grandfathered unlimited data and 200 texts on the new phone. The 3g will be my "home phone". It has to be kept plugged in as the batteries won't go more than 3-4 hours. But hey, I end up with 2 phones and my 4s replaced, for $200.00 and only a $10.00/Mo increase in my bill.

This new 4s looks different on the front than the one which was lost. This one has a big squarish indentation on the top front, containing an additional long thin orifice below the ear speaker. Anyone know what that is all about?

Bob
--
Should ever be forgot."

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
reply to AVD

said by AVD:

you lost your laptop overboard too?? (j/k)

No, just the phone and my wallet.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to TamaraB

said by TamaraB:

This new 4s looks different on the front than the one which was lost. This one has a big squarish indentation on the top front, containing an additional long thin orifice below the ear speaker. Anyone know what that is all about?

Bob

That's where they took the google cookie out.

(pics?)
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
google this "(sqrt(cos(x))*cos(200*x)+sqrt(abs(x))-0.7)*(4-x*x)^0.01, sqrt(9-x^2), -sqrt(9-x^2)"

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

Click for full size
said by AVD:

(pics?)

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
reply to AVD

said by AVD:

That's where they took the google cookie out.

(pics?)

So, what's that thing?

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to TamaraB

Do you have a white overlay on it or something? The orifices are correct according to the Apple website:

The little one at the top is the proximity sensor.

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

said by bobrk:

Do you have a white overlay on it or something? The orifices are correct according to the Apple website:

[att=1]

The little one at the top is the proximity sensor.

Well, they put a screen protector on it, is that what you mean by "overlay"? The 4s which drowned did not have the orifice you identify as proximity sensor. It looked more like the iPhones to the left and right of the pic you posted, except in white.

Oh wait! The sensor and the speaker seem recessed because of the screen protector. Perhaps I didn't notice the proximity sensor before. The layout is exactly like the white phone in your pic.

NEVERMIND

Bob
--
Should ever be forgot."

bobrk
Premium
San Jose, CA

No prob, Bob!

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

pics solve everything

bobrk
Premium
San Jose, CA

Worth a thousand words, yadda yadda yadda.