how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

"AT&T"s Tired Wires: The Real Deal

So I promised, in another thread I started, I post up some pictures of The Real Deal if I was feeling ambitious. Well, enjoy...

I don't think the first two require any explanation:

Those "raincoats" are pretty special, don't you agree?

The following appeared to me to be a piece of plain old interior UTP cable (at the same location):

Yeah, that's an SBC pedestal on the right, and yeah, that's a puddle of muddy water that cable's sitting in. That stayed that way for the better part of a year, IIRC.

And, speaking of quality workmanship, look what I discovered when we opened a box on the wall where our TelCom bundles come in from underground:

You have five seconds to guess what's wrong with that picture. If you can't do it in five seconds, stay away from wiring of any kind, ok?

And, lastly, I couldn't help but get a kick out of what SBC's crews think sidewalks (and expensively-maintained lawns) are for:

Note: No wood put down or anything to protect the property owner's investment. If you look closely, you can tell that wasn't the first time they parked their truck(s) (yeah, sometimes up to two of them) there.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

Expensively maintained lawn, Are you kidding, more like weed ridden dirt.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

said by rody_44:

Expensively maintained lawn, Are you kidding, more like weed ridden dirt.

It is now, thanks to SBC.

The bits you see in photos 2 and 3 were nicely manicured lawn--until SBC's contractors trashed it. And the bit you see where SBC's trucks have been rolling over it is still mostly nice, very nice lawn. Except, of course, where SBC's been parking their trucks on it. That part isn't so nice anymore.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

and chances are the ROW goes up to that point.

coppertech

@verizon.net
reply to jseymour

Just an FYI there is nothing wrong with your 2nd to last picture. That is standard 10 guage telco ground wire bonded to the electrical ground. Prior to about 2-3 years ago the telco ground wire was in a greyish colored insulator. It has since been changed to green. Similarly, cableco ground wire used to be black. It is now also green.

Wouldn't go around making blanket statements like

said by jseymour:

You have five seconds to guess what's wrong with that picture. If you can't do it in five seconds, stay away from wiring of any kind, ok?

It makes you look bad and lose credibility when you post something as being wrong that is actually correct. The only thing wrong with that picture is that it is missing the yellow or red tag that states:

Telco ground wire. DO NOT REMOVE. If this wire or clamp is loose or needs to be removed contact local Telco repair service.